High water alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
Planning on installing a high water alarm. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Place the alarm sensor 4" above your bilge pump float switch.

I installed an Aqualarm with three of their water level sensors for separate bilge compartments. I wasn't overly impressed with the build quality, but also believe it will work adequately if needed.

I also installed an Aqua Alarm. Works well. I had them make a 3 switch panel. High water, Engine raw water, and Gen raw water alarms. I too think the components look a little under built however everything works as it should. Then again the price is right.

I did a DIY high water alarm in our cutter -She had one deep bilge so it was a pretty basic design: Mounted a float switch a few inches above the primary bilge pump and a 12v horn from a ski boat in the lazarette next to the helm. Should the bilge flood above the primary pump, the horn would sound alerting everyone onboard and/or in the near vicinity. I also put an on/off toggle switch in a protected spot near the horn so the alarm could be silenced. Cheap but effective.

I just ordered a system from Borel Mfg. They build it custom to your specs. I am getting 3 raw water alarms, 2 mains and the generator. Also 2 water if fuel for the main engines and one high water alarm. They are simple to install and draw no power unless actively alarming. I put a system in our last boat and it worked great. Cost for the new system was about $325.

I will have to get a horn to hear when on board. As I already have remote monitoring an added float wired into the system can alert me anywhere there is cell service.
I get alerts now when the regular bilge pump runs.

Besides my remote monitoring system I have a really simple high water alarm.

A float switch that powers a 12V light/siren.

Simple, effective, reliable.

"A float switch that powers a 12V light/siren."

Yes!! If you leave the boat the alarm should be distinctive , not just a beep beep.

I prefer a bell.

Planning on installing a high water alarm. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Previous boat, I replaced a float switch with an Ultra Senior... and then also added the optional alarm they sell.

The non-mercury pivoting float switches available these days seem to fail quickly...

-Chris

Had to build my own as I am hard of hearing and can't hear horns very well. Used a small fire alarm bell hooked to a float switch. Mounted it up on the bridge so I can hear it when I'm running, and since it's on the outside of the boat it's easier for anyone to hear when I'm not on the boat. Being able to hear it while you're running is obviously important so you know if you're taking on water before it's too late.

I connected my high water alarm to my Siren 3 alarm system too. this will send me a text or/both e-mail.

I am considering one too... I was thinking of a 12V switch connected to a car horn. As an added layer for when we are onboard, I was thinking about adding a 120V AC float switch from Grainger (like ones you would use in a sump under your house) that would cut the power to the air conditioner's AC cooling pump. Which, if that becomes the problem, would continue to actively pump raw water into the bilge. I feel like with a non-assisted leak could get managed by a good DC bilge pump system at the dock or at anchor, but if we are away doing touristy stuff or going to the grocery store for a few hours and something happens, a secondary system would be helpful.

Previous boat, I replaced a float switch with an Ultra Senior... and then also added the optional alarm they sell.

The non-mercury pivoting float switches available these days seem to fail quickly...

-Chris

+1:thumb: I use the Ultra Senior with a fire alarm bell that can be heard anywhere on the boat, including the tower when underway. Highly recommended.

"A float switch that powers a 12V light/siren."

Yes!! If you leave the boat the alarm should be distinctive , not just a beep beep.

I prefer a bell.

I have a fire bell as well, but it's tied to my alarm system and uses a different set of water sensors.

This one is the "backup". No electronics needed. Every time I go in the engine compartment I lift the float switch to make sure it works.

Is the Senior level switch independent of the bilge pump switch, or does it actuate both?

In our installation, the Senior replaced the original pivoting mercury switch... when it finally failed after 11-12 years or whatever.

IOW, the Senior became the bilge pump float switch. (But not the breaker or manual switches; those remained in place.)

-Chris

High Water Alarm

Cigatoo,
Having a brain cramp.
I need to install a high water alarm too but tell me what you will monitor on Main Raw Water and Gen Raw water... Flow? Lack of flow?

I bought a car alarm on Ebay attached it to a float switch and it works great.
Much better than the high water bilge alarm I bought at our local marine store. It's all 12 volt.

I followed Capt. Lee's advice but hooked it to the loudest car alarm I could find. It can be heard two cities away.

Cigatoo,
Having a brain cramp.
I need to install a high water alarm too but tell me what you will monitor on Main Raw Water and Gen Raw water... Flow? Lack of flow?

The Borel alarm will do both as well as water in fuel if you want it. Simple install and draws no power unless actually alarming.

I find most alarm sensor switches are much too high, a few inches could represent a lot of water depending on the bilge volume. I want to know the moment the water is above the bilge pump's own float switch, therefore, I install alarm switches jus tone inch above the pump's switch. If you normally have a dry bilge, that shouldn't ever be an issue unless you have a genuine leak.

You should be able to hear the alarm from anywhere aboard, including the MSR with door closed and while you are sleeping.

More on the subject here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/onboard-alarms-part-ii/

And here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/bilge-pump-systems-design-and-installation/

I have the Borel High Water Bilge alarm - works well.

Seems we have a lot of cross discussion here ... bilge high water vs engine water flow. Sticking with the OP question ... Ultra is outstanding. We have on Unwinding and work extremely well. Two sets of contacts ... first activates bilge pump. Second activates panel alarm. The one supplied by Ultra is powered by 9V battery (replaced once per year) and will "wake the dead". My wife hates when I test it prior to each day of operation. Very robust ... have not found anything better.

My only grip is I wish I had a 10 to 20 second delay on the bilge pump shutdown to prevent bilge pump cycling (as I have no check valves ... I know a whole different discussion but I will not have check valves in bilge outlet).

I have had high water activate once ... leaving Lake Worth Inlet in 6' to 7' on the nose. Wave action pushed water "over" the anti-siphon loop and high water activated. I think I made it to the engine room in under 5 seconds. Again, alarm will wake the dead.

I do have redundant high water switches (Rule) connected to GOST for remote monitoring as well if I am off the boat. Yes ... lots of redundancy. I like it.

Gary
M/V Unwinding

Cigatoo,
Having a brain cramp.

Raw water / exhaust temperature exiting the engine and generator. The switches complete the circuit at 200 or 250 degrees I think. The switches just wrap around the exhaust hoses. Simple and effective. They and the high water are connected to a common fire bell. All are connected direct to battery via a fused connection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom