Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #21

City: Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: Misty Morning
Vessel Model: 1983 Northern Tri-cabin
Okay. It has been a week or two and I have tried some things. You all were so supportive so here is a quick update. After we returned from our trip we unloaded. Removing stuff, especially the heavy cooler from the front helped a bit with the nose buoyancy. After I refilled the aft water tanks things really improved, water line wise. So that is all good. There is still the matter of the bilge though. There is a forward portion which disappears under the holding tank and is separated by a small ridge from where the bilge pump sits so a shallow accumulation of several gallons can accumulate. I shop vac-ed out the forward part of my bilge which yielded distinctly grey off-smelling water. I left it a week (with a freshly emptied holding tank) and it has refilled a bit. All seacocks shut too so it is a mystery where it is coming from. We had a small bit of rain, Next thing is to check if it's salty!
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Okay. It has been a week or two and I have tried some things. You all were so supportive so here is a quick update. After we returned from our trip we unloaded. Removing stuff, especially the heavy cooler from the front helped a bit with the nose buoyancy. After I refilled the aft water tanks things really improved, water line wise. So that is all good. There is still the matter of the bilge though. There is a forward portion which disappears under the holding tank and is separated by a small ridge from where the bilge pump sits so a shallow accumulation of several gallons can accumulate. I shop vac-ed out the forward part of my bilge which yielded distinctly grey off-smelling water. I left it a week (with a freshly emptied holding tank) and it has refilled a bit. All seacocks shut too so it is a mystery where it is coming from. We had a small bit of rain, Next thing is to check if it's salty!
Thanks for the update Guido.

It does sound like you do have a leak somewhere. The Grey off-smelling water is the kicker Mate. Several gallons?

Humm. Questions. How many inches do you think the bow drop on your trip. How Much do you think it came up after you unload?

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #23

City: Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: Misty Morning
Vessel Model: 1983 Northern Tri-cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Thanks for the update Guido.

It does sound like you do have a leak somewhere. The Grey off-smelling water is the kicker Mate. Several gallons?

Humm. Questions. How many inches do you think the bow drop on your trip. How Much do you think it came up after you unload?

Cheers.

H.
The difference between the low and the high of the bow dip was probably 1.5 to 2 inches. In the 10 days it has been home and since unpacking it has remained high and proud...even though the bilge has refilled a bit.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
The difference between the low and the high of the bow dip was probably 1.5 to 2 inches. In the 10 days it has been home and since unpacking it has remained high and proud...even though the bilge has refilled a bit.
That is great she is remaining high and proud. I believe you had to much weight upfront during your trip as Baker said. With the grey smelly water adding to the weight I could see in riding lower and lower as your trip went on.

Remember a gallon of water weights 8.34 lbs. You said you a had few gallons of the grey stinky water the you vaced out so that didn't help.

Not all you have to do is find out were that smelly water is coming from.

Cheers Mater.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:56 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
I'd lay odds on that the main thing influencing the trim was the progressive emptying of your water tanks, and fuel as well, over the duration of your outing. The weight of water and fuel used would have far more influence on trim than the stuff you have on board, which would not change much, as food would be stored fairly centrally. The filling holding tank for'd would also add to the effect. It doesn't sound like that for'd bilge-water would be enough to make much difference over all, although nice to find out where from, and set things up to remove it better than having to vacuum it out all the time.

PS Now this thread has moved well on from the 'hi' bit, I have moved it to 'general discussion' section, you might have noticed.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #26
FF
Guru

" Having water that remains always and won't pump out isn't acceptable."

Water will remain unless the NA designed in a low point sump , and the boat assembler built it in .

Like many boat "problems" the can be designed our before construction.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
1 gallon = 8.35 lbs

If we're talking about 6-8 gallons of grey stinky water, then we're really talking about 50-65 lbs. It wasn't clear the tank capacity or amount of water filled in the aforementioned aft water tanks. 100 gallons in the aft water tanks would be 835 lbs. I'd be more apt to suspect the water in tanks effecting trim over the small amount of water in the bilge. I wouldn't discount some impact on large, heavy coolers either. My 165 quart cooler when filled, along with ice will cause a list of a few degrees to stbd when stored along that the gunnel on that side.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #28
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I don't think it would just mysteriously get lower in the water. There has to be a reason. And it would be adding weight or losing buoyancy. The only other thing would be the hull is absorbing water and I seriously doubt that. Go thru all of the things you have changed recently. Remember when you move something, you are not only adding weight to where you move it to...but you are removing weight from where you moved it from. It is a double whammy. So moving 50lbs from aft to forward is like adding 100 pounds up front. So while you may think some small things move shouldn't cause anything, they might.

This is so true when balancing your vessel.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #29

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
It is a double whammy. So moving 50lbs from aft to forward is like adding 100 pounds up front. So while you may think some small things move shouldn't cause anything, they might.
Glad it is back to normal!
Baker is so right and a lot of people forget that. Although I would say that moving 50lb from aft to forward on a trawler is like adding 150lbs + forward!!!!

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, bootstripe, bow, waterline