Old 12-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Here's a Defever for someone...

Stabilized. New engines. New generator. Would be a nice cruise back from Panama!

1983 Defever Tri Cabin Trawler New Motors Power Boat For Sale -

Wonder why they they repowered with twin 240hp Yanmars. Does that make sense?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Faith
Vessel Model: DeFever 48'
I wish I was ready for my first trawler. She looks like a nice boat. The defever has just about everything on my wish list.

David
Davidald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Is that really fiberglass? Sure looks like steel to me.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Looks like a scream'in buy to me. And what's not to like about new Yanmar engines? I think it's the same boat that sunchaser has.
refugio what makes you think it's steel?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Loading that boat on a freighter in Panama and dropping it off in Florida would be criminal in my opinion. Yes Eric that's sunchasers twin sister with all new iron. 240 HP is about what they came stock with so twin 240's while a bit overdone should be perfect for the next 20-30 years cruising.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The DF 48 pictured will make somebody very happy. Our year 2003 build is SN 168 so just guessing this one would be about SN 35. The 240 Yanmars are the right physical size and will seldom see above a 35% load thus should go for a long time if maintained properly.

Assuredly the vessel is FRP. I just measured the thickness of the solid plug (diesel heater exhaust) from about 1 1/2' above the waterline at 1" thick. We've just been running around in some BC winter gales, the stability of the 48 is pretty impressive.

God bless Art, I'm just enjoying his creation and keeping it in the condition a "DeFever Motor Yacht" (so says the placard above the switch panel) deserves.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
yup, it looks like a very good deal. Head west from Panama, explore the South Pacific. Wonder what kind of range it has?

The brown stains from th OB discharges might make it look like its steel with rust streaks. But its glass. Gelcoat looks a bit faded and the short cabin makes it a less desirable live aboard but still a great boat.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Here's a Defever for someone...

Yes, 480hp is a bit much for 8kts cruising speed and 12kts top end. My 46 DeFever with 270hp easily cruises 8kts. But my top speed is 10.5kts. That's a lot of extra hp for 1.5kts.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
I need a recommendation for a surveyor in Panama. One who speaks and writes in English as my insurance company doesn't staff translators in the legal department. This is too hard. Maybe I should just wait until it gets to Florida! And no aquatic hitchhikers please.

The paper towel dispenser in the ER is class. Why didn't I think of that idea?

Could the brown stains be from black water discharge? Grey water discharge?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
refugio what makes you think it's steel?
It just looked like it to me. Maybe it was that all the rails are painted. The look of coamings at the bow and stern. The lack of curvature in the bow. It looked like the steel Defevers to me. Did they ever make this in steel and copy it in fiberglass?
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The brown stains are from the 3 discharge thruhulls which more than likely are the are the ones for the 3 aircon heat exchange water discharges.

And it's not a steel boat, it's fiberglass.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Guru

Amazing I'm OK w an overpowered boat and most others are questioning it.
Not my usual for those that don't know me.

If the engines were NA and 480hp I would be singing my usual song. But I really don't know much about tubocharged engines and assuming if they were ran at a 75% load they would wear much faster than a NA engine at 75% load. Also assuming most all people would run this boat at a 25 to 35% load re the 480hp. But if someone were to run this boat overdriven at 14 knots (assuming it could) I'd not be mak'in positive sounds about it. What does Yanmar say about a continous rating on these engines?

But like a turbo Cummins running just a bit into the turbo (40 to 50% load) should be fine. Due to the turbo I consider a big chunck of this power to be sort of artificial. Only useful for short periods of time. Tear into me if I'm wrong because I really don't know. And if these Yanmars are good to go at 80% load continously then I'm on the way over powered bandwagon. But also due to hull design these boats could be usually underpowered.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
It just looked like it to me. Maybe it was that all the rails are painted. The look of coamings at the bow and stern. The lack of curvature in the bow. It looked like the steel Defevers to me. Did they ever make this in steel and copy it in fiberglass?
refugio,
Looking at the pics I think I see what you are seeing.
Sharp lines. In the pics the bow looks like it has a much narrower entry that it actually does. This is not a narrow boat. Especially the look of the bow in the pics presented. Those upper deck support slanted slab like things that could be replaced w regular stanchions also give the boat a look that it was made of cut out pices of flat steel plate .. or perhaps plywood as I'm quite sure they were. And there are some abrupt and sharp lines in the topsides aft too. But the smooth topsides fwd and obvious flare should have been a dead givaway.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #14

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
Looks like a great deal. Buy it.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: port charlotte
Vessel Name: ocean paradise
Vessel Model: mainship 1 210cummins
Exhaust system looks ify
bluemainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #16

City: Youngstown Fl
Defever is one I've been looking at also. This seems like a nice trawler. would like to see twice the fuel cap. with those larger engines. and the longer cab. lf it works for you go for itl
Florida Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Amazing I'm OK w an overpowered boat and most others are questioning it.
Not my usual for those that don't know me.

If the engines were NA and 480hp I would be singing my usual song. But I really don't know much about tubocharged engines and assuming if they were ran at a 75% load they would wear much faster than a NA engine at 75% load. Also assuming most all people would run this boat at a 25 to 35% load re the 480hp. But if someone were to run this boat overdriven at 14 knots (assuming it could) I'd not be mak'in positive sounds about it. What does Yanmar say about a continous rating on these engines?

But like a turbo Cummins running just a bit into the turbo (40 to 50% load) should be fine. Due to the turbo I consider a big chunck of this power to be sort of artificial. Only useful for short periods of time. Tear into me if I'm wrong because I really don't know. And if these Yanmars are good to go at 80% load continously then I'm on the way over powered bandwagon. But also due to hull design these boats could be usually underpowered.
Look in my signature. I used to own one of those engines. They are very easily run at 75% continuously. What I would consider the sweet spot in my installation was 2800RPM on a 3300RPM engine(3100 continuous at 190hp...so the power curve is nowhere near linear...you gain 50hp in that last 200rpm). With that said, I think there is nothing terribly wrong with this application. Those engines will run perfectly happily outside of the boost. The boost comes on about 2200rpm....obviously depending on load but I am willing to be it would be right around there. Anyway, much like the 4236 is considered Perkins best engine....this engine is held in the same regard as it relates to Yanmars.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Cracker View Post
Defever is one I've been looking at also. This seems like a nice trawler. would like to see twice the fuel cap. with those larger engines. and the longer cab. lf it works for you go for itl
My guess is the listing specs are not right for fuel capacity. It should say 2 tanks at 4XX each. My DF48 has about 900 gross fuel capacity spread over 4 tanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The boost comes on about 2200rpm....obviously depending on load but I am willing to be it would be right around there. Anyway, much like the 4236 is considered Perkins best engine....this engine is held in the same regard as it relates to Yanmars.
The vessel is designed to cruise comfortably at around 7.7 - 8.2 knots. At 7.7 in flat water the total HP required is no more than 40 per engine. Just guessing, 1900 or so RPM should do it. Top speed, hull limited, is about 11 kts with 8.5 the high end of the economical cruise range before boost climbs up on my engines.

But, survey and sea trial will reveal the prop/RPM/load data for these engines.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Laramie
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
When I first saw 240 hp each I thought that would be wastefully over powered. But I looked at the specs for those engines. They are only 211 cubic inches. The power curve for shows about 2 GPH at 1600 rpm while making about 40HP. Sounds good for 7.5-8kts.
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote