Here is a Beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunchaser

Guru
Vessel Name
sunchaser V
Vessel Make
DeFever 48 (sold)
Here, to me anyway, is an impeccable 40 year old true yacht in the finest seafaring sense.

Sorry -- Go to Van Isle Marina's website, boats for sale. Bill Garden design, Gardner diesel. Can't seem to get their website to load the boat

Last edited:
Salty, heavily built, and those stabilizers would be great in the ocean. The boat is somewhat reminicent of the BC Forestry boats of years past.

If there is a better put together boat out there, I can hardly remember it. I’m not sure I would ever want to take it on, but I could easily get stuck staring at it. That boat oozes authenticity.

She's absolutely gorgeous. I saw her in Victoria several years ago and fell instantly in love.

S.S Termite...……..But definitely some pretty lines.

A piece of art, for sure.

I'm pretty ignorant about Gardner engines. Does a Gardner take any more or less maintenance than any other typical diesel engine? Does it have uber-longevity?

We met the gent that built/owns the boat in Bamfield last summer when we docked astern of her. I can report that she looked great. He gave me a look inside the engine room...that thing was a big beast. I guess he keeps her in a boathouse, and it looked like it.

I'm pretty ignorant about Gardner engines. Does a Gardner take any more or less maintenance than any other typical diesel engine? Does it have uber-longevity?
Theycertainly are legendary in some circles, but my "expert" marine engineering source is less impressed than the average TFer. He also knows the flaws in many other "bulletproof" machinery like Northern Lights gensets, etc.....

Hey though.... imperfect still doesn't take them off the table against the alternatives.

You can probably pick up a Northern Troller for under 40 grand that is every bit as good a sea boat and do the conversion to your dream custom yacht for another 100. 360 seems an incredibly high price for a 1980 wood boat, especially painted military grey!

Also, consider that insurance on an older wooden boat might be outrageous, so the less you have invested the less it may cost.

Too bad the guy had such a wide angle camera lens.

Beautiful boat and it’s 60 feet. I would love to see it in person.

The boat house is available to the buyer for $100K with annual fees being $16K. I fell in love with it too. What's not to love except if it ever sat in the mud at low tide, I would go over the hull with a fine tooth comb looking for Teredo navalis.

All I see is brightwork that needs constant attention.

All I see is brightwork that needs constant attention.

If she stays out of the sun it's no big deal. Keep her in a boat house & only take her out at night. Actually, with a wooden boat that big varnish might be the least of your worries. Sure nice to look at though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom