Old 09-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Bottom Paint

Next Tuesday [9/14/21] Our boat gets hauled for [red] bottom paint, new [blue] boot stripe... etc.

1. What's your preferred bottom paint brand?

2. Do you recommend ablative bottom paint or hard bottom paint?

We currently dock in SF Delta's freshwater; done so for 12 years. There is chance we may be moving back into SF Bay saltwater.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks!!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Our boat is on Lake Michigan. I operate it at 8-9 knots with occasional short periods at 12-13 to work the diesels a bit. The boat gets hauled every Fall after about five months in the water. It was painted with two coats of Interlux CSC HS (high solids) ablative about five years ago. Paint is still in great shape. I very lightly power wash it at every haul out. (Yard crew are not allowed to go near the bottom with a power washer after they ripped off about $500 worth of ablative paint in 30 minutes).

I like the HS (high solids formula) and the CSC ablative line in general because the anti-fouling protection reactivates every Spring when we launch the boat. $370 per gallon when I checked Amazon. Four gallons to put two coats on our 44 (39 water line). The Interlux coverage calculator was very accurate.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I use Interlux NT because it is both hard and ablative. Usually best to check with some local boaters and/or marinas to see what works best in the waters you plan to be in. I think the NT paint is the same or similar to West Marine BottomShield.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
Art
Guru

Rufus / b n' b - Thanks!!

I had choice of hauling boat 100 + road-miles away or cruising her to 12 road-miles away. The 100 miles makes it hard for me to keep eye on things... but... for reasons it won the choice.

Plan to post outcomes and photos. May camp out a day or two near by the haul while items proceed. I want to make sure all through hulls and other items are in great condition.

Art
Old 09-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I like Interlux paint in general because I have received great support from them over the years.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:01 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Rufus / b n' b - Thanks!!

I had choice of hauling boat 100 + road-miles away or cruising her to 12 road-miles away. The 100 miles makes it hard for me to keep eye on things... but... for reasons it won the choice.

Plan to post outcomes and photos. May camp out a day or two near by the haul while items proceed. I want to make sure all through hulls and other items are in great condition.

Art
What do you plan to use on your running gear and other underwater metals? I'm still looking for a good solution for that.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I've been using Micron CSC on my boat. Worked well enough when the boat was in Long Island Sound, still works fine in Lake Ontario. It's pretty hard for an ablative paint, so it's slow wearing. And you can get it pretty smooth if desired. It does grow plenty of slime, but it cleans off easily and the thin slime layer I get here in fresh water doesn't seem to slow the boat down any, so I don't worry about it. It keeps the zebra mussels and such off just fine.

For the running gear, I've been using Pettit Black Widow. I had a few spots with poor adhesion with the Pettit zinc primer the first time, so I switched to using Primocon. I'll know in ~6 weeks if that worked better. So far it's done a good job of keeping the running gear (shafts, struts, rudders, trim tabs, props) clean and smooth. The props came out of the water spotlessly clean, not even a hint of slime. The rest of the gear had just a little slime that wiped right off (less slime than the hull). And no growth on the tops of the trim tabs or anything.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've been using Micron CSC on my boat. Worked well enough when the boat was in Long Island Sound, still works fine in Lake Ontario. It's pretty hard for an ablative paint, so it's slow wearing. And you can get it pretty smooth if desired. It does grow plenty of slime, but it cleans off easily and the thin slime layer I get here in fresh water doesn't seem to slow the boat down any, so I don't worry about it. It keeps the zebra mussels and such off just fine.

For the running gear, I've been using Pettit Black Widow. I had a few spots with poor adhesion with the Pettit zinc primer the first time, so I switched to using Primocon. I'll know in ~6 weeks if that worked better. So far it's done a good job of keeping the running gear (shafts, struts, rudders, trim tabs, props) clean and smooth. The props came out of the water spotlessly clean, not even a hint of slime. The rest of the gear had just a little slime that wiped right off (less slime than the hull). And no growth on the tops of the trim tabs or anything.
I get barnacle growth on my underwater metals. Maybe not an issue in fresh water. Tried a couple different paints, see how it looks upon haul in October. Keep in touch re. the Primocon
Old 09-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I get barnacle growth on my underwater metals. Maybe not an issue in fresh water. Tried a couple different paints, see how it looks upon haul in October. Keep in touch re. the Primocon
No barnacles here, but lower water flow areas on boats get zebra mussels. Tops of trim tabs are particularly bad about it on most boats. Even with the minor adhesion failures, I'd say the Black Widow passed the test as a paint. ~90 hours on the engines last year, probably 15 of those up on plane and there was no detectable wear on the well adhered paint, even on the prop tips. And not a single zebra mussel.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
No barnacles here, but lower water flow areas on boats get zebra mussels. Tops of trim tabs are particularly bad about it on most boats. Even with the minor adhesion failures, I'd say the Black Widow passed the test as a paint. ~90 hours on the engines last year, probably 15 of those up on plane and there was no detectable wear on the well adhered paint, even on the prop tips. And not a single zebra mussel.
Good news for you. Although it doesn't look like Black Widow is specifically for metal, use what works.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Good news for you. Although it doesn't look like Black Widow is specifically for metal, use what works.
Correct, it's not a metal specific paint. So choice of primer matters (which is why I first started with the Pettit zinc primer, as they say you can use that with Black Widow on top on metals). My paint choice for the running gear came from the idea of wanting to find something similar to Propspeed (slippery), but with some actual antifouling properties and ideally cheaper as well.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Art
Guru

Quote:
What do you plan to use on your running gear and other underwater metals? I'm still looking for a good solution for that.
I plan to again use bottom paint on struts, through hull filter-grates, rudders and trim tabs. Nothing on shafts and props.

In fresh water where we play it's bare-back swimming warm from may through October. One of my favorite pass times while at anchor is to swim under boat and do all sorts of maintenance. Anodes are well serviced as well as through hull openings checked/cleaned. I scrub the shafts and props with bronze BBQ brush... they stay very clean. Bottom surface itself needs little to no cleaning as the extremely thin coating of slime that accumulates is always negligible and non intrusive to cruising.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #13
Art
Guru

We pulled in exactly on time [2 PM this Tuesday] after a couple hour cruise. Experienced attendants [including Ramon the yard owner] were on site at the good condition 30 ton travel lift. Our Tolly was lifted and getting pressure washed in about 30 minutes. See photos...

- A few relatively small blisters will be repaired
- Bottom will be sanded scraped where necessary
- Boot stripe [Tolly teal color] needs to be elevated by a couple inches... because we keep too much weight aboard; LOL!
- All through hulls will be checked and serviced/replaced as necessary
- Rudders will be checked for shaft tightness etc
- Cutlass bearings checked and replaced if needed
- New anodes installed
- SEAGUARD® ABLATIVE ANTIFOULING bottom paint

I may also have their mechanic install new heat exchangers on both engines. The old exchangers are getting long in the tooth.

Depending on what items need new installations the $$$ total will range from a low of $4,227

Being that I've known the yard owner for years [and have never heard a bad word about him] I'm at a high level of trust.

Couple years ago Ramon Mata moved from Paradise Point Marina [where we've docked in a covered berth for 12 years]. Recently, he purchased this good looking, well laid out yard that was previously named Ladd's Marina. He has placed his yard name on it "Pacific Boat Services". 4911 Buckley Cove Way, Stockton, CA 95219 (209)334-2127 / (209)477-9521. I have no affiliation what so ever. Just wishing Ramon much success!

In 1950's, 60' and 70's I did a lot of work on boats in "boat yards" of LI NY and up in Maine. Ramon's new yard reminds me of the great yards I worked at back when!

Edit: Don't know why first two photos went sideways and third is straight? But... when I punch em up to enlarge - all three are straight! Go Figure...
Attached Thumbnails
111.jpg   112.jpg   113.jpg  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Art, did you perhaps mean "Seaguardian", rather than "Seaguard"? Seaguardian is sold here, various types, I had good experience. If the shoulder wrenching weight of a 10L drum is an indicator, there`s a lot of whatever is in it compared to some others.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Art, did you perhaps mean "Seaguardian", rather than "Seaguard"? Seaguardian is sold here, various types, I had good experience. If the shoulder wrenching weight of a 10L drum is an indicator, there`s a lot of whatever is in it compared to some others.
Thanks for mention:

Simply copied the name off a document. Owner of yard doing my boat is greatly trusted by all I've spoken with... by me too. I'm sure Ramon uses high quality product.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #16

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Make sure new coating is compatible and will adhere to new coating. Read matl app and safery data sheet. Seek advice from coating tech rep.before buying.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #17
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillroy View Post
Make sure new coating is compatible and will adhere to new coating. Read matl app and safery data sheet. Seek advice from coating tech rep.before buying.
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Art, did you perhaps mean "Seaguardian", rather than "Seaguard"?
"Seaguard" is one of the Sherwin Williams line of anti fouling paint products. Had I come across this thread earlier, I would have advised the OP against using any Sherwin Williams paint but maybe he's had good results with it up in the Delta. I cannot say the same about my experiences with it down here in the Bay.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
"Seaguard" is one of the Sherwin Williams line of anti fouling paint products. Had I come across this thread earlier, I would have advised the OP against using any Sherwin Williams paint but maybe he's had good results with it up in the Delta. I cannot say the same about my experiences with it down here in the Bay.
Thanks fst!

I'm letting the yard owner use his preferred bottom paint brand. He has great reputation in SF Delta freshwater areas and recently purchased a nice yard. I've known Ramon for years from the yard he managed for over a decade. We see eye to eye on things. In addition to bottom paint there's a couple blisters being tended to and we're reviewing/checking-over all underwater through hulls. Of course both cutlass will be checked as well as bearing-shaft of each rudder. New anodes too. This time I'm going with aluminum on shafts and rudders with a magnesium on transom plate [diver's dream].

In addition... I'm having the yard mechanic carefully check our engine's heat exchangers - they're getting rather long in the tooth!
Old 09-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #20
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
This time I'm going with aluminum on shafts and rudders with a magnesium on transom plate [diver's dream].
I would question the expertise of any yard that advocates mixing metals when it comes to anodes. Generally viewed in the industry as something you should not do. What is Ramon's rationale for this?