Help need someone to preview an OA in San Deigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rough crowd.....geez.

Bryrick I can give you a number of a good surveyor. He just did my 87 CHB. The going rate is $14 a ft. if your interested. I have his cell # you might call Dean and see if he's interested in doing a cursory look for less for you. PM me.

If the boat were near me, I'd help him out. Dont know why Ibwoulsnt help out a fellow boater?

I don't see what's wrong with asking. Or why wanting someone to see if the boat matches the ad vs is "prom pictures" before flying out is a bad idea.

When I was buying my current boat, I had a marine surveyor do a "walk through" on two boats near Stuart or Ft. Pierce, I forget. It was worth the couple hours of time he charged just for 1st impressions. He didnt find everything he found on the real survey -- but that was most definitely not the goal (it was literally a walk through, not a survey). He did let me know the boat generally matched the ad, the pictures were current, and about a couple of issues (window leaks and rot, bad main breaker) that jumped out at him from 3ft away.

A third seller refused to show the boat to or with any "marine professionals" other than broker/agent present until there was a signed contract -- I passed.

The surveyor was out of Ft. Pierce, if anyone wants the contact info, PM me.

Cheers!
-Greg

Seriously thinking hard on an OA in San Diego but before writing or flying I’d like someone to preview for me that has some experience and can lend an unbiased opinion. Anyone close by willing to check it out for me. Looks really close to what’s on the list.

Fee free to call or text
503-781-9967 Bryrick

I'm sure the OA owners on the site would be happy to giveyou pointers if you identified the model, and perhaps provided a link to any ads.

I would HIGHLY recommend Jeff Merrill @ JMYS he works in the area all the time. Just tell him you want a BUYERS AGENT and he will understand, and most likely not charge you anything unless he completes the sale on your behalf. 949-355-4950

I am quite surprised that no one in the area of the boat has not volunteered to take a look at the boat for him. I certainly would be happy to look at a boat for a TF member if it was nearby.

this is a very interesting thread and brings up a lot of good points. having recently bought a mainship in los angeles, living in San Francisco and having travelled twice to Seattle to see other boats, i can relate.
I think there is no substitute for seeing the boat yourself after maybe screening on Facetime with the broker (which i should have done on both boats in Seattle and possibly would have saved a couple thousand bucks and two weekends). The problem with a substitute looksee person is that we all have different standards. MIght be cheaper to just get a survey.

I think of the look-see just as an opportunity to make sure the advert is "real". So many I saw used old photos, careful lighting, and dint mention glaring issues and might as well have been for a different boat.

Bryrick, is it the 1987 42 Sedan. If yes I saw it about a month ago. Be glad to discuss my impressions on the phone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom