HELP - need donut-weight for davit hoist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
HELP!!! I have not been able to find the right Google search-string.

Where do I find the cylindrical stainless steel weight for a dinghy lifting hoist to keep it from whipping in the wind? I have a Nick Jackson pipe davit crane and am using a sailboat winch with 1/2" line.

Thanks in advance -

Peter

That is a pretty esoteric thing to look for. Maybe have a machine shop make one for you? I searched for several different things and the closest thing was a S/S donut weight but the holes were all at least an inch. Based on what I saw, whatever you get it will be pricey.

Last edited:
My boat uses a 3" lead ball - looks like a downrigger weight. Watch out - the PO busted a window with it! (I am trying think of some way of adding padding around it)

How much weight do you think that you would like on the lift end?

Try searching eBay or Craig's list for a "headach ball".

pete

Any reason as to why it needs a heavy weight?
Surely the hook is heavy enough.

Our davit lift point is 10ft off the water
Weight is a single block pulley with a s/s clip attached
Never had an issue with it whipping in the wind.
Certainly not enough that I could be bothered finding a solution.

stainless-steel-pulley__35176.1531266296.440.500.jpg

43851_stainless_steel_snap_hook_1_3.jpg

Last edited:
Where do I find the cylindrical stainless steel weight for a dinghy lifting hoist to keep it from whipping in the wind? I have a Nick Jackson pipe davit crane and am using a sailboat winch with 1/2" line
Peter

The weight is more usually needed on spool type winches to keep the line under tension to prevent fouling as it unspools without load. Nevertheless, UMT in FT Lauderdale makes custom dinghy cranes among other things, they have them. Black, rubber coated, weigh approx. 10 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be oversimplifying , but they sell rubber coated 10lb weight set plates for 20-30$

Attachments

• C7BD4AD2-D028-49FF-8618-E25438F9FFA1.jpg
    C7BD4AD2-D028-49FF-8618-E25438F9FFA1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
The technical term for a headache ball is an overhaul ball or overhaul weight.

Oh my gosh. A beerball! Haven't seen one of those since the mid-80s. I grew up in western NY, where they were "invented".

I knew I spelled "headache" wrong the instant I hit"post quick reply"

pete

Thanks so much everyone. As if I needed an excuse to go to a Northern Tool.....between them and Tractor Supply.....

Peter

Buddy of mine had a great idea, having it rubber coated. Helps with the occasional "OOPS" to keep scratches (and your head) to a minimum... :)

Donut weight

I'm a little confused as to why you would need the weight.

The boat itself should be the weight to drop the line.

Once the boat is in the water, it should be easy to tie the lifting line off somewhere on the boat, near where the boat has landed in the water.

We have davits on our swim platform and when we release the 310 Mercury RIB with 6HP motor I have a loop of string that is attached to each davit to hang the davit hook from. Seems to work very well.

BTW, a weight on the end of the lift line, it would seem to me, is not in & of itself going to stop the line from whipping in the wind, unless it is a very heavy weight, which is now added to the weight of the boat to lift.

Good luck with your pursuit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom