Help me plan my journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carter840

Hi All,

Long time lurker, but figured I would start to post and become more active. I am looking to plan a journey, well transparently less of a journey and more a new phase of life. I've been fortunate to consider a yacht purchase within the next year or so. I will do my best to share aspects of consideration, and I would appreciate all of your feedback on how to make the best decisions on this purchase (what vessel) and the surrounding nuances (insurance, operating costs, maintenance, storage etc.).

A bit about me: I live in Massachusetts and am an Engineer by trade with some experience in the marine industry. In short, I can fix things and enjoy mechanical type projects. I do not, however, have experience on any boat larger than 20' (grew up with RIBs and Whalers).

Intended use: I want a go anywhere! Yes I'm talking about an ocean worthy vessel as I'd like to travel from the North Eastern US to the Med (okay if that's via Greenland & Iceland). I very much enjoy the design elements such as hull form and system redundancies found on such a vessel. My Wife: would like comfortable accommodations and and a cruising speed of 15-20 knots so we can make weekend trips within the northeast in a timely manner. I know that cruising speed and my own desires potentially conflict! Likely use is for me to go on more adventurous journeys and for my wife to join me there after traveling via plane in many instances, but still think ocean ability + higher cruising speed will be the hardest spec to meet (full displacement vs. semi displacement when I truly want both).

Design elements that I am interested in in order of most importance:

• 3 cabin layout
  • Portuguese bridge
  • Bow thruster
  • Dual Engines
  • Forward sloped pilot house windows
  • There are many others, but much of that is likely standard on vessels we are likely to discuss

Shopping Parameters:

• Budget is ~$1M, but flexible depending on what's on market
  • Used with an age of 5-15 years old (flexible, but needs to be insurable)
  • I've been browsing YW looking at KK, Nordhaven, DeFever, Ocean Alexander, Selene, Flemming, and Marlow
  • Note: I like the idea of the Dashews FPBs, but their narrow beam means they don't have the cabin arrangement I'm interested in having
I'm looking for feedback and ideas given the above on several aspects:

• Am I looking at the right types of vessels (I know desired cruise speed is going to be a difficult one to obtain for trawlers), I saw the NightHawk (made by Lyman Morse) and was amazing by what seems to be a high speed trawler - what other makes should I be considering? Anything on the market now that particularly fits the bill?
  • Will I have issues obtaining insurance on the vessel given my lack of yachting experience?
  • I hear that operating expenses are roughly 10% the cost of the vessel, does this remain true for a used vessel in generally good condition? Is it 10% the original cost or used purchase price cost?
  • What are current market conditions given recent stock market decline and the high costs of fuel - are pricing dropping (does the yacht market follow the stock market generally?)
  • What else should I be considering?

Here is my current lust and it would be useful if someone put me out of misery and bought the thing.

It is called a NED70, pretty much a one off, designed by Vripack and built by NED Ships for a purpose pretty much as you describe.
It has a 12+ knot cruise and capable of 15 at least. Aluminum hull and house and a draft of less than a meter. Despite this, it has a CE-A rating, so ocean capable.

Attachments

• NED70.jpg
    NED70.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 59
Wow, thank you Klee. This is exactly why I posted just when I thought I had options well understood, I see an entirely different approach.

Understanding the CE-A rating. Does it seem sensible, or possible even that this vessel will be as comfortable as a more traditional trawler. With the shallow draft and lack of trawler like features I’m just wondering if that’s possible.

Are there any photos of machine spaces and engine room on NED70, who serviceable is this vessel?

Additionally some features like the Portuguese Bridge are absent which I consider a somewhat important safety feature.

Welcome any thoughts on the above. Oh, and certainly keep additional options coming. Thank you

Wow,

Understanding the CE-A rating. Does it seem sensible, or possible even that this vessel will be as comfortable as a more traditional trawler. With the shallow draft and lack of trawler like features I’m just wondering if that’s possible.

It does not seem sensible that a boat this light and shallow footed would be as comfortable as a heavy deep footed vessel. But, the Vripack design studio is not known for building creampuffs. I am inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt enough for a sea trial. Few seem to doubt the seakeeping ability of the FPB?
And, a CE-A rating does not come in a box of Crackerjacks.
I suspect this is a serious vessel.

Last edited:
Looking at the stability curve of the Ned70 it seems that it has a very high righting arm - great for not capsizing but I suspect it’s also very “rolly”. Does anyone have insights on this?

Also at 70’ could a new yacht owner such as myself truly handle this without a crew? Seem like it’s has a bow thruster but it’s a long vessel!

It doesn’t seem like a comfortable boat inside or outside.

What makes you say this specifically?

For the price point it’s got 3 cabins and a decent salon - I think ocean fairing is questionable as it lacks some aspects of a passagemaker (such as designated or partitioned pilot house).

Anything from vripack is top of line

Update:

While it’s been a while, but I’ve continued to learn / think about this exciting new hobby & potential edit to lifestyle.

At this point I’ve realized that although I love trawler (specifically expedition) style yachts it doesn’t make sense for me for two reasons:
1) Primary use is weekend getaways around New England. I need something faster to actually get away in that limited timeframe (2-3 days).
2) A full displacement vessel that can actually go anywhere at relatively acceptable speed it going to be fairly large (>50’). I should likely start smaller as I’ve not piloted a boat in many years.

At this juncture I’m honed in on mid 2000’s a 43’ Grand Bank Eastbay as the right boat for me and im looking into various parts of the owner journey before progressing with a survey / potentially purchase.

I visit a local marina this weekend to check out a slip. And am trying to connect with a suggested insurance agent as well as a nearby maintenance yard (and winter storage facility).

Anyway, I wanted to update everyone despite the fact that I’ve been quiet for some time.

Back
Top Bottom