Old 04-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Help me Improve My Web Site

Not a forum, so no Trawler.com competitor. More a way of sharing our adventures with family in Ireland, the UK and beyond.

It is very much in draft, so looking for input - and the more the better.

Have a look.

The intent is to have a robust web site base using static pages, and then use the blog for ongoing activity.

I am even considering getting rid of the blog and just using web site type pages, with a very photo heavy content.

Thoughts, comments, critiques?

AtAnchor.com | The Voyages Of Sonas And Her Crew.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Looks like a nice site! Sonas is a beauty!

We use a Facebook page for our boat, it is simple and easier for my wife to manage. Look us up at M/V Ebbtide.

Bob & Jill
Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Looks like a nice site! Sonas is a beauty!

We use a Facebook page for our boat, it is simple and easier for my wife to manage. Look us up at M/V Ebbtide.

Bob & Jill
Bob, I do have a Facebook page but more for photos and short comments. Plus non boating, more family stuff.

FB tends to be chronological. I want to have something more stable, where posts don't disappear down a page but are available with one or two clicks.

If someone wanted to look at what you did last year, just think of the effort they have to go through to get to it.

I think FB is the quick way to get stuff out there, but it is not sustainable in how it is accessible.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
menzies...

Sonas is gorgeous... my dream!

Website also looks great - clean attractive look and easily navigable

My link below - my objective was more an easy way to share info re; the boat vs a blog (I'm not a blogger and never publish when I'm away from home!)
I've done pages w/ word - easy to ad photos & edit and them publish as PDF's via links
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
menzies...

Sonas is gorgeous... my dream!

Website also looks great - clean attractive look and easily navigable

My link below - my objective was more an easy way to share info re; the boat vs a blog (I'm not a blogger and never publish when I'm away from home!)
I've done pages w/ word - easy to ad photos & edit and them publish as PDF's via links
Nice site. Where was that large raft up?

I like that boat name "White Knuckles!"

I have had the AtAnchor domain for over ten years though it was dormant for a lot of that. I get the registry up because I knew I would be using it when I retire - which will be at the end of this year. Cost is about $80-100 per year, plus $15 for the domain registry. I host on InMotion

I have had a couple of approached over the years from people wanting to buy the domain, but I wanted to keep it.

I too looked at using Wix for development and played with it, but then I realized that it was more geared for their hosting rather that your own site. So I did some research and found that many of the hosting sites, like InMotion, has a suite of web development platforms available at no extra cost. The one I chose was WordPress.

I find WordPress very easy to use, with no technical knowledge required.

BTW, our yacht club have a trip planned to the 1000 islands this coming fall. Not sure yet if we will be coming along.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
menzies

Thanks - only my second attempt at websites so still learning a lot.

Have you seen Steve Cyr's "Stella Blue" website - link is on my website in "Links". Steve was my inspiration and I visit his often as he is a great Mainship & Yanmar resource.

Raft up was on Seneca Lake - pretty frequent occurance near our marina (Sampson State Park) No need to anchor as the lake is 40 Mi long & 600+ ft deep and little shallows near shore. Sandy shallows at N & S end if you want to get in shallow for waterline washing or just playing in the water.

I have some cruising notes on the website - including 1,000 Is if you or others are interested - great cruising area but does get crowded during the Quebec "summer holiday period".

The owners of "White Knuckles" are volunteers at the Clayton Antique Boat Museum - a "must see" for anyone in the 1,000 Is area - it's a great facility and an interesting 1/2 - 1 day visit.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote