Old 04-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #21

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
Thoughts on this? Most of the places I went to in the Caribe had a lot of sailboats but very few trawlers. Granted I was in some pretty remote places. I can recall down in San Blas the only power boats we saw were KK42s. A couple of them stopped in over the course of 6 months.

I have little/no knowledge on things like hydraulic stabilizers or paravanes/etc, and the thought of losing an engine with no backup sort of terrifies me. But maybe that is just because I'm used to a sailboat.

Seems like a full displacement boat could also manage the GL pretty easy? I know sailors who take the masts down and do it.
There is a pretty wide array of bots that can be used for the GL, this allows a wider market, generally more cabin space for a given length overall (maneuverability and dockage rates) and affordable creature comforts. A KK42 is one of the few boats that is well suited for both but it commands a premium price for this reason and overall reputation. Value is a consideration, a lesser sea capable Taiwan Tub with nice side decks or a planning hull or semi displacement cruiser offer more bang for you buck than a Nordhavn and are sufficiently capable for these waterways. A sailboat offers great value for its offshore capabilities but climbing up and down companion way stairs or feeling like your cabin is a cave are trade offs that are made, in addition to increased draft of course. None of these considerations are show stoppers but worth thinking about and the members of this forum (myself included) are more than willing to provide their personal views ad nauseum. Not to mention what anchor you need.

Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #22

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
There is a pretty wide array of bots that can be used for the GL, this allows a wider market, generally more cabin space for a given length overall (maneuverability and dockage rates) and affordable creature comforts. A KK42 is one of the few boats that is well suited for both but it commands a premium price for this reason and overall reputation. Value is a consideration, a lesser sea capable Taiwan Tub with nice side decks or a planning hull or semi displacement cruiser offer more bang for you buck than a Nordhavn and are sufficiently capable for these waterways. A sailboat offers great value for its offshore capabilities but climbing up and down companion way stairs or feeling like your cabin is a cave are trade offs that are made, in addition to increased draft of course. None of these considerations are show stoppers but worth thinking about and the members of this forum (myself included) are more than willing to provide their personal views ad nauseum. Not to mention what anchor you need.
Hahaha, I know which anchors I like, so I'll avoid the anchor war. I'm not looking to cross oceans anymore. I'm thinking maybe a few days offshore is the most I'm willing to do at this point and I refuse to get into situations where I'm rushed and make a poor decision in regards to weather because of some timeline.

I've started looking at some of the taiwan boats. They seem reasonably priced but I keep hearing that most of the ads don't represent the real condition of the boat.

Tate is offline   Reply With Quote