Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #1

City: San Francisco
HELP! I just bought an 87' 35' Fu Hwa Trawler

Hi Everyone,
I am so happy to be here and find this trawler forum. I just fulfilled a dream to buy a trawler --- my first one ever ---- I bought a 1987 35' Fu Hwa Trawler with the galley in the bow of the boat - so different. I love it, but I was on it yesterday and I am lost and need some help.

I have little ideal about the basics; so wondered if anyone knows of a place to get Owner's Manuals and if not, how to get up to speed on the workings of the boat. Treat me like I know nothing, because I know nothing. The good news is the boat seems pretty straight forward - but there is so much to learn.

Thanks,

Marie in San Francisco
mariemartin0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Most parts and equipment on a boat are not made by the boat maker. Look for the name on the item and search for manuals etc. Almost everything is on line if you look hard enough.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. You most likely will not find any manuals on the boat. There will probably be manuals on the individual equipment on the boat. You will need to identify the make and model of the piece and then search online. Have you had any formal boating training? If not that would be the place to start.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
An Albin is just one example of many Taiwan Trawlers (TT) which are very similar to your Fu Hwa. A big thick owners manual may seem to be important but really won't help you a lot. So many of the individual components on your boat are sourced out that they wouldn't be included anyway. Also, most are now adays "throw aways" in that repair isn't really an option. Get an owners manual for the engine and transmission, one for the genny and if you are lucky you might be able to find one for the air conditioner.

Read back through some of the old posts here and you will learn that T.T.s have a reputation for leaky teak and windows and the steel fuel tanks often develop leaks at around thirty years, (In your case, about now).

They are mostly wonderful boats. As with any boat of your vintage, past maintenance is the key. When you find a leak, fix it. Keep an eye on the fuel tanks. For the rest of the challenges my best advice is to just "get dirty". Get into your bilge, look behind things, check under the dash (but don't touch anything until you need to). But most important, put hours on the boat.

Welcome Aboard!

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I’m surprised at you all! No one asked for pics yet LOL. Marie- if you post pics with your questions- sometimes you will get a more specific response due to what all the others are saying.

Welcome aboard- whereabouts near SF, or the City itself?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
I’m surprised at you all! No one asked for pics yet LOL. Marie- if you post pics with your questions- sometimes you will get a more specific response due to what all the others are saying.

Welcome aboard- whereabouts near SF, or the City itself?
Pics of??
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
“Pics of”?

The 87’ X 35’ Trawler

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Look into taking a Power Squadron or United States Coast Guard Auxiliary boating class. Lots of good information, and like minded souls. Good luck in your endeavors!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #9

City: Detroit
Was this an impulse buy, or did you move up/down from another boat? When you say you know nothing that is pretty broad. San Francisco Bay is not a place I would think of boating if I knew nothing. Can you fill in the blanks a little? Did you have the boat surveyed and sea trialed by an expert? Did you address those things which came up in the survey? This sort of information will people understand more about how they be of help to you. Enjoy and be safe. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #10

Great questions. It was not an impulse buy. I have owned many boats and have long wanted a Trawler. I have a survey and the owner was a captain, for the year and price, it's a solid boat. I just don't know about Trawlers. So slowing getting dirty (spent all day yesterday locating the bilge pump) and pumping out water in the boat (typical slow leak at the propeller which will have to be repaired when I pull it out of the water) so that's good to have located it. Took lots of pictures of instruments and will keep getting dirty and looking up things that are on the boat. So slowly, I am getting there.
mariemartin0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #12

City: Detroit
There could be three bilge pumps and one shower sump (two if two showers) on your boat. One aft, one center, one forward(this likely depends on the number of bulkheads creating isolated water areas). The shower sumps can also pump water out of a boat should the water get that high (not good). Locate each bilge pump and test its operation for both manual and automatic operation (automatic being the float switch). You must know how the pumps are wired. If you turn off your batteries when away and the pumps are not direct wired then you have no pumps when you are away. I assume you had a typo on the propeller (lead?) meaning leak. This means you likely have standard packing glands on your shafts. It is good to know when that packing material was last replaced. I set my shafts at a drop of water every 5-10 seconds when sitting. This will likely slow when underway as the heat developed by the friction should swell the joint some and slow the water a little. They must be dripping or you will gall the shafts. Now might be a good time to look for any leaks from windows, through hulls, decks, and deck penetrations. Clean all areas where water flows, particularly scuppers and hatch channels. Water moving directly to a bilge pump is a good thing, just not in any great quantities. Have fun.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
The {pics} are pictures of things being asked about. As we have all seen MANY times a good photo or two or three can work wonders over wordy descriptions.
Some times both are needed in combination.

I agree about any manuals however I do not agree that individual equipment manual are not worth the effort. Even if you can't do the work a manual of the item under repair can be worthwhile. I do agree thogh that the Taiwan boats of that age do not come with wiring schematics or anything of that nature. Usually it is boat owners that will accumulate the equipment manuals.

If you can definitely get the engine manuals, the gear box manuals AND the parts books for those two.

One very important , among others, is what is your engine and gear box?
If the engine is a Ford Lehman of any model then look up and be well aware of American Diesel who are the experts on those engines. They were the marinizers of the FOrd engine that was used to produce the "Lehman" engine for boat use.

ANother is Perkins who is now owner by Caterpillar. THey do not support the older engines as well but still contact them and find out.

But you will need the specific engine make, model and hopefully the serial number.

And have fun. Although frustrating it can also be fun learning about your boat.

Questions, ask.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Systems should be very similar to the many boats you have owned.

If the owner didn't leave you a bag of manuals, starting one is as simple as listing all your primary components, model and serial numbers.

Most parts should Google right up. Sources like the library here and boatdiesel.com can get you owner manuals for engines, trannys and gensets.

Beware of old salts at the dock and internet...90% are full of marine myths or amazingly limited info...the other 10% are worth all the free beer you can spare and remember, no one is an expert on all matters of boating.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Is this the one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Fu-Hwa...p2047675.l2557
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #16
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Might consider joining a yacht club. Some of the larger YCs in the Bay Area are really welcoming to newbies and you'll find plenty of people to help. Richmond YC in the North Bay. Encinal or Oakland YCs in East Bay. All are fairly large and friendly. Volunteer as a Committee boat for weekend races and such and you'll have all the advice and help you can stand.

Before my current Willard 36, I had a Willard 30 that I sold 23 years ago to a woman who was an enthusiastic newbie. We stayed in touch for several years - she was primarly involved with Power Squadron or CG Auxiliary, but seemed to be having a great time. The W30 changed hands a couple times - I still stay in touch with the current owner who brought her from Ventura to Olympia WA last summer! Amazing trip for a 30-footer!

Good luck and thanks for finding TF!

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #17

Vessel Name: AriesEnergy
Vessel Model: 1985 42' Nova Sundeck
Hi mariemartin0916! I too am a new owner of a yacht and literally just posted the same question moments ago.

How is your progress going? I am having trouble identifying most of the equipment that is above the lower helm. I cannot get the gen to turn on or find the light switch for the aft deck. Perhaps I will include photos as one of the posts suggested.

Tags
fu hwa