TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And what is that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucker%27s_hitch

It's the predecessor to the ratchet strap. It allows you to put tremendous tension on the line without introducing slack through slippage (e.g a taughtline hitch would slip under high tension). However the hitch is very 'breakable' (can be easily untied after being put under high load (unlike a bowline).

Now admittedly, I'm not 100% clear on how the OP is using the Danic hook. It looks very much like the hook portion can be attached, then tensioned fairly easily. Hence my parallel to a trucker hitch.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #22

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I use a truckers hitch. There is one attached to every single line I own.
That is a very cool knot. I forget how to do it though. My father in-law was a trucker and showed me how to do it years ago. You make a loop a couple feet up from your cleat and run the line from the cleat up through the loop then pull hard back to the cleat. It allows you to get the line really tight. Something like that anyways.

I'm not using the Danik Hook for that purpose. I use it on the end of a line that I don't want to tie to something. It's great for connecting one end to an anchor and the other end is lashed to a cleat to secure the anchor during cruising. Same use for the life raft leader.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I use a truckers hitch. There is one attached to every single line I own.
one of my most used knots both on and off the boat...

my claim to fame may be tying a bazillion things on top of cars, trucks and trailers over 40 years both recreationally and professionally and never lost anything on the road.

hence loving the truckers hitch.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Benthic,

I can't believe it's from Walmart either! I have owned this gear and can assure you that it is stainless steel. They are heavier looking in person. They are actually quite heavy. That can be an issue if you're using it for light applications but if you want to secure the anchor or something that requires strength the stainless Danik Hook does the job. They also make them out of high impact black plastic. I use both. They are great for people who can't splice. I bought a splicing kit and book and ruined more line. I finally gave up when I discovered the Danik Hook. Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,
Looks like a handy piece of gear. My only question would be if it affects line strength much. That is the advantage of a splice over most knots. However, most of the time our line is oversized for the job to keep it comfortable to handle.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
..I'm not using the Danik Hook for that purpose. I use it on the end of a line that I don't want to tie to something. It's great for connecting one end to an anchor and the other end is lashed to a cleat to secure the anchor during cruising...
I use a simple snap shackle for that. However, it is a nice piece of kit and could help me secure a tight line to brace a crane mast.But I doubt Walmart ships here, a search is in order.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Walmart is just another online sales channel these days like eBay or Amazon.

When sold directly by them as opposed to third parties, their return guarantee is excellent, for large/heavy stuff they've even let me return online purchases to a B&M location.

Amazon's really shafted me a few times in the past year, so they're now much lowrr down my list of preferred sources.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Walmart is just another online sales channel these days like eBay or Amazon.

When sold directly by them as opposed to third parties, their return guarantee is excellent, for large/heavy stuff they've even let me return online purchases to a B&M location.

Amazon's really shafted me a few times in the past year, so they're now much lowrr down my list of preferred sources.
I've never been a Walmart fan. However, them taking over from smaller retailers isn't all their fault. The small retailers often failed to respond. So, I now applaud Walmart and their aggressive response to Amazon.

They've matched Amazon's free shipping but without the cost of Prime. They've offered return to store like Costco. And they've purchased several online businesses including Jet. As a result, their sales are up, not down.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Amazon has been aggressive in their marketing and their strategy, but I’ve not seen any evidence of them being predatory. Walmart definitely is. I try to avoid doing business with them unless absolutely necessary.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Amazon not predatory?

Really?

Being predatory is demanded by investors, bit late now to start trying to save small businesses or prevent monopoly / ogilopoly at this late stage.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Amazon not predatory?

Really?

Being predatory is demanded by investors, bit late now to start trying to save small businesses or prevent monopoly / ogilopoly at this late stage.
Buying Whole Foods not predatory? Becoming a huge seller of appliances? Their desire to be selling every product?

However, I believe they've lost some of their edge and advantages and that's now opened up opportunities for others. No one is going to beat them but plenty of room then left for well run retailers to also succeed.

For those with new products, Amazon has opened up opportunities as you can get your product in front of the huge market at a reasonable cost.

Perhaps the book that is needed for others is "How to Thrive in a Time of Predatory Retailers." All the gloom and doom doesn't always come true. Many retailers had very good years in 2017. All are not mismanaged.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #31

Buying the Danik Hooks from Walmart is the first time that I used Walmart. They aren't very popular with us California Left Coaster's. :-)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: Boston Area
It's a little more expensive but its also much shinier !!

Here's the same hook on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Anchor-...rds=danik+hook
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
It's a little more expensive but its also much shinier !!

Here's the same hook on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Anchor-...rds=danik+hook
It is shinier! Better touchup on the picture. I paid $29 at Walmart and Amazon is $24. Shit! I ordered it yesterday and got it today though. That's even faster than Amazon!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Amazon not predatory?

Really?

I had to look up ogilopoly. No such word but I did find "oligopoly" which I'm sure is what you intended.

definition: a market situation in which each of a few producers affects but does not control the market.

Perhaps you meant oligarchy? Government by a few or a group exercising such control.

I agree with that.