Helmsman's physical position on trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My only experience in "commanding" a boat has been on sailboats with tillers, so forgive me naivety. ...

Note the relative position of the wheel and helmsman's chair on Willy, quite typical for trawlers.

<a>
tn-810284
</a>

It seems to me the wheel isn't readily accessible from the chair unless one steers with their feet.

I'd expect when things are serious, the helmsman position is standing*directly behind the wheel.* So, when would the chair be used?* While under autopilot?* While steering with feet in "at ease" mode?

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 15th of October 2010 11:35:49 PM

There are many trawlers that have a awkward steering station. Given the above picture, it looks like a seated helmsman could probably make minor heading adjustments with a hand on the top of the wheel. A helmsman required to use the wheel for close quarters maneuvering, would need to stand and have sufficient room so as to make quick/full turns with the wheel.

It may be that the primary use of the seat is for observation/lookout. If equiped with autopilot, this would make sense. A jog control could also be used for maneuvering, if equipped.

I have seen seats and chairs installed where there is not enough room . If there is a pilot bench/berth and and autopilot, steering while in open water can be done from the bench with a remote. In close quarters and smaller pilothouse, the absence of a chair makes room for standing at the helm and moving easily to the side to see how close you really are to the dock.

Our A/P is not coupled to the plotter. I could let George do it but requiring attention to heading on a regular basis keeps me looking at the course and outside.

The helm is down low so the top of the wheel is used most of the time as our trawler tracks straight and/or the auto pilot makes the corrections.* When the auto pilot is on I used the soft pad rather than the helm so very seldom once out do I touch the helm/wheel for long periods of time. *Our auto pilot has a 25 ft cord remote so I do not have to be in the pilot house.* On warm sunny days I sit on the bench behind the Portuguese bridge.*

Many of the bigger new boats the helm/wheel is really a joystick that activates the hydraulic pump, which is what I use the auto pilot for.* The only time I use the helm is close maneuvering as it moves the rudder faster than the auto pilot.* ******

You will spend more time squeezing past (and cursing) a closely fitted chair to go in and out of the door, than you will sitting in it to steer the boat, regardless of A/P or other steering considerations. That is why it needs adequate room. If you don't have a Starboard door, or if your house is wide enough to put the helm amidships, you avoid this problem.

Another consideration is seat height. On our boat the fixed seat is too high, so any time spent at it (I do most of my helming from the upper station which isn't a problem) results in a sore back from hunching down to get a proper view out. *Lowering our seat is on the list.

Regarding my helm Mark,It's not perfect but quite good now. Could be a bit higher (note cushions in photo). The 1st photo is before the helm chair. That thing's in our house now. Pull up on a lever and the helm chair slides fore and aft. When it's fwd my knees are max fwd but comfortable. When it's aft there is plenty of room standing for serious boat handling. I need struts so as to make it stiffer vertically. That's OK for now though. My biggest problem is the foot rest.
Toooo far aft and at the wrong angle. On long runs I use my tool box (that I always take on long runs) but need to tie in place for rough going. Helm to hand/arm/shoulder relationship is fine. Most all the time my hand is not on the helm (touching). I make corrections. But most of the time I sit and do other things w my hands. And I don't have autopilot. Would like it but don't need it. I make a game of making the best corrections, those that maximize the time before the next correction. And of course when I make a good correction I can get up and walk around a bit (even go fwd). The big thing about helms is the distance fore and aft, the height and the foot position. Foot position is very important.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 137.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 137.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 92
  • all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 99
I steer from the FB 90 % of the time, I installed a pedestal mounted swivelling chair at the lower helm when I am not using it to steer it is low and faces the setee for casual seating with one's feet on the floor. When I use it to steer I add a heavy duty extension tube about 20 " which I made and it is at the right height to sit on to steer the wheel and there is a foot rest on the bulkhead below the wheel at a comfortable level. If I want to steer standing I simply slide the seat back on its slider and can stand and steer comfortably, or lean against the seat. This is simply a plastic pedestal mounted seat with swivel and slider, as used on the FB of some trawlers or in fishing boats, not real fancy but suits my purpose fine.
Steve W.

Although not captured in this photo of the helm, the Coot's helmsman seat is a fixed bench.* There are pilothouse doors both port and starboard, and from drawings it appears the front edge of the seat is about two-thirds of the width of the door from the wheel.* The seat on the port/passenger side is set further aft so the portside door is fully clear of obstruction.

ry%3D400

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Saturday 16th of October 2010 01:35:35 PM

Ergonomics! Nice comfortable REAL helm chair, Radios in/on overhead, Visual displays down below
line of sight out windows. 6 hours on and 6 hours off for 28 days at a time gives Very opinionated wheelhouse setup!

Sailor of Fortune,What do you like about overhead stuff? I don't care for it as you can see from my pictures. Too far of a reach. Too hard to shade ones eyes when looking up. Harder to see. I think they do it in airplanes because they run out of space. Perhaps on a more complex boat than mine (I'm basically out of space) one would have no other choice * *... ther'es only so much space.
Steve,
I like your new avitar. I can see more of your boat.
Mark,
I REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE that helm. Are you going to have one like THAT. I'll be jealous. Probably cost $500. My helm's fine but I'm going to shop anyway.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 16th of October 2010 04:45:30 PM

nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
I REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE that helm. Are you going to have one like THAT. I'll be jealous. Probably cost $500. My helm's fine but I'm going to shop anyway.
Eric, *I'm not expecting more than an all-SS wheel, but the one*pictured with a*wooden rim sure looks nice.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:

6 hours on and 6 hours off for 28 days at a time

How do you guys get away with* 6 and 6 on that boat?

6 on and 6 off when local or coastal. 4 on and 8 off on trips of 600 miles or more (additional
wheelhouse license needed.) Normal operations are capt,mate 2 engineers, 2 deck AB's.

Eric Only the radios and the AIS in the overhead. We use 3 VHF's constantly-all stay on the same channel most of the time so easy sitdown access is not needed. The microphones hang at helm
chair reach fron hooks. AIS is not constantly needed so it is overhead also.
The radar and computer screen (main radar) is down below line of sight, radar and gyro repeater are on right side and nobeltec/ computer on left. infront is auto pilot, gyro repeater jog lever and
clutch/throttle controls. Behind is chart table with SSB, Sat phones 2, computer etc. Backup radar
is to right (above main radar- a head basher!

markpierce wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
Eric, *I'm not expecting more than an all-SS wheel, but the one*pictured with a*wooden rim sure looks nice.

Gee, Eric, you must have had*at least*two different wheels for Willy already.* Still searching for the perfect one?

A full keel tracks pretty straight, Even without autopilot.
*If you spend a lot of time at the Helm on a slow boat. I think you would find yourself up and down quit a bit of the time. If there is any weather at all*youneed to be standing or the very least leaning on the bolster. You need to use your legs to move with the boat and the sea.
A big comfortable Capt's chair is nice for long runs on flat water. How often do you get that?
**I would definitely consider a*seat positioned to allow for a place to lean on and stand comfortably. Many Capt's chairs have a flip down bolster in the front to allow for a comfortable leaning position.

SD

Hey Skip,

What's a bolster?

Wish I could click on that new avitar and make it bigger. Bigger is the American way.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 17th of October 2010 10:48:58 PM

koliver wrote:

You will spend more time squeezing past (and cursing) a closely fitted chair to go in and out of the door, than you will sitting in it to steer the boat, regardless of A/P or other steering considerations. That is why it needs adequate room. If you don't have a Starboard door, or if your house is wide enough to put the helm amidships, you avoid this problem.
Seems to me a door accessing the boat's exterior*immediately adjacent to the helm is an advantage in that one can,*while stepping out onto the deck and*still accessing the helm,*more*readily*communicate visually and verbally to the immediate-outside world.

Most trawlers seem to have lower helm stations on the starboard side,is there any obvious reason for this?

nomadwilly wrote:

Hey Skip,

What's a bolster?
Some Helm Seats have a portion of the seat that folds*up*from the front of the seat. It allows you to lean on it. It creates a leaning post so you can stand and lean back against it. Gives more space between the wheel and the seat.
*I just have found that if the*water gets lumpy you will find yourself standing more than sitting. Also convient when docking.

SD

shrimp,Yes. We've been through this before and the main reason is that oncoming vessels from your stbd side have the right of way. And since their helm is on the stbd side they can't see you as well so the responsibility is passed on to you when you can see them well on your stbd side. The stbd helm is best and especially if you have a left hand wheel going fwd so the stern of your vessel will pull to stbd when backing (as in final act when making a typical landing).

SD,Had to think for a few min and reread you. Yes I remember that when I was shopping for the helm sead. It does about the same thing as the sliding seat and that's what I wound up with. And when I slide it back I do frequently do lean my butt back on it. Thanks.

Driving about is mostly done on AP, so as long as you can see and take controll if needed , most anything works.

The docking drill is usually more work than just putting.

The helm is good if you can see both ends easily , usually standing , and can go outside to handle a single line if alone.

may be it's just us, but most Australian built boats have the helm on the port side of the wheelhouse.
As most passing is done red to red if possible then the helm is on the side of the approaching vessel.

For a helm seat I have a small bench , not very comfortable but then i don't use it that much.
Mostly standing excepton very long passages then sit at helm in most comfortable mannar possible but still not a sleeping position.
Up and about keeping watch ahead and astern so very comfortable sitting position not that important for me.

I know on our rig tenders the deck ornaments like a pretty comfortable helm seat.

Benn

Tidahapah wrote:

may be it's just us, but most Australian built boats have the helm on the port side of the wheelhouse.
As most passing is done red to red if possible then the helm is on the side of the approaching vessel.
I would have thought it was because you drive on*land vehicles*"wrong" side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom