Helmsman training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Let's say you have some overnight (or more) passage to make; and there are guests on board that will "help".

Is there some training vids or even powerpoint files out there that will give the basics to this limited scope training? That is, a basic understanding of nav lighting, tow configurations, looming targets, use of harnesses and jacklines, use of autopilots, gauge scans, MOB equipment, currents and crab angles? I realize that one can't be fully trained in a hour to be a "captain" or even a navigator, but there must be some available short training to perform as a lookout/helmsman. Maybe a subset of a Power Squadron course? I've have had 2 x USCG aux courses over the years, and none really did this adequately.

Ideally, a one hour sit down for the new helmsmans, in front of a TV to learn the basics. And then, of course, some boat specific training on the particular AP, radar on the vessel. TIA

I'll bet there are any number of things on youtube talking about basic rules of the road, etc....

I haven't looked at this at all, so I have ZERO idea what's in it other than the title. I just remembered seeing it in the library when I was watching his achievable dream video...along with a few other "crew orientation" looking videos....
https://youtu.be/Glrckpt_mZU

Crew training? For our overnight crew/guests it’s “OTJ training.” I’d rather not have to undo what some anonymous youtube babbling taught someone. Some owners provide a manual in advance that, from some I’ve read are tediously long and suck the life out of the experience.

I don’t formalize it by calling it a briefing but we have a list we run through regarding most aspects of operating the boat that I believe a newcomer can handle. It depends on the individual and customized for them. As far as watch standing for any relatively inexperienced crew, it’s “see anything on radar or any lights out there, wake me.” I show them the gauges, what’s nominal and what deviation is ok. I write down the numbers based on the RPMs I’ve set. I don’t want to put pressure on them to expect to figure out nav light patterns, right of way, etc. They can do engine room checks if they are interested. I have a sheet of what to check, look for and IR gun temps and locations.

If they want to learn the details of boating, they would certainly do so and we can teach them during the trip which is more fun and has more impact than just reading or watching videos. But we don’t expect that as a prerequisite of being a guest and assisting as crew.

Our outline of subjects we discuss:

GUEST ORIENTATION

Crew Briefing! Yes, it will be formal and we must use the word “mission” numerous times.

Life jackets
Fire extinguishers
Tru-plug locations
PLBs
Life raft
First Aid case
Throw rings, (stb. w/rope bag)
SOS Strobe, Flares
MOB procedure

Electric/Inverter use
Keurig
Food/pantry lockers
Stove
Cold water/ charcoal filter
Head
Shower

Trip Itinerary
Watch standing
ER checklist
Chartplotters/radar
Autopilot
Engine instruments
Radios

Docking
Anchoring
Mooring pickup and release

Know your crew. If that can't be, be sure they know how to wake you, and will do so for the slightest occurrence.

In training with our local RCMSAR, I was awakened to the range of ignorance possessed by otherwise keen, intelligent volunteers. It was impossible, in a few training sessions, to bring all new recruits up to a proper level of training. Even after years of volunteering, some still couldn't satisfactorily dock the boat.
A satifactory level of training took years, and by then in most cases, their time was up.

It boils down to what level of expertise do you expect to trust your life to?

What does it take to get someone there?

Hopefully you know who might do it and those that never earn that trust.

Part of it is long before they step foot on a boat, what traits do they possess to assimilate info quickly and apply it to their already safe vs risk taker thinking, exacting versus cavalier attitude, task prioritization versus "tunnel vision"....etc....?????

One you make that determination.... US military traning takes those with some aptitude and trains them in complex tasks quickly on subjects completely new.

It sort of goes introductory training (terminology, visuals, etc) to hands on, back to the classroom for more detail, more hands on, debriefing then practical application.

The point is that neither alone is as effective as both. Jumping into hands on without terminology and visuals just means OJT takes longer as you have to spend that time explaining anyway.

Lots of good responses, things i had not considered. I will have my daughters do a vid for utube

Thus will not cover items in the guest orientation. Only watching and driving. No loading the Finfal, no joker valve rebuilds or scaling the mast for steaming light replacements. [emoji4]

Its still fresh in my mind being woke up by my Admiral to seeing a windshield full of a 95’ patrol boat that intentionally crossed paths with us at a few hundred yards. We were doing 20 kts.

But i do want the driver to be able to reset AIS alarms, understand what loosing oil pressure looks like, and when/how to wake me up.

Our outline of subjects we discuss:

GUEST ORIENTATION

Crew Briefing! Yes, it will be formal and we must use the word “mission” numerous times.

Life jackets
Fire extinguishers
Tru-plug locations
PLBs
Life raft
First Aid case
Throw rings, (stb. w/rope bag)
SOS Strobe, Flares
MOB procedure

Electric/Inverter use
Keurig
Food/pantry lockers
Stove
Cold water/ charcoal filter
Head
Shower

Trip Itinerary
Watch standing
ER checklist
Chartplotters/radar
Autopilot
Engine instruments
Radios

Docking
Anchoring
Mooring pickup and release

This list is way too short, and lacks detail :blush::blush:

I've gotta add...I think Porgy summed up more or less how I was thinking....
The only thing to add Is that I can imagine that some few people might respond better to someone else lecturing than they might to you telling them the basics of light colors, etc.... if it seems more formal or structured, etc... But I see that sort of thing as a 5 minutes or less sort of deal....

Learning the skills to safely take the helm, for hours at night without supervision, is an incremental process. The most basic skills must be learned first, and built upon from there.

On my boat, we often make offshore passages through the night to get to the fishing grounds, doing so with a group of 7 guys, some of whom have little or no experience. But, in order for all to be get adequate sleep, everyone takes turns standing watch and, at night, we always have two people at the helm. I never pair the least experienced people. The primary goal, especially for the least experienced, is collision avoidance. To do that, no ability to adjust any instruments is needed (in fact, its forbidden). During daylight hours, all will have learned what another boat looks like on radar, and will have become familiar with the concepts of Closest Point of Approach and Time to Closest Point of Approach. The radar (ARPA) and AIS will already have been configured to alarm if any vessels are on a course that will bring us unacceptably close (offshore, at night, they typically means within 4nm), in an unacceptably short time (typically, 30 mins). So the basic skill of the helmsman is to watch for vessels (etc.) that don't show up on radar, make sure that those that do show up are being tracked by ARPA, and to understand and identify which targets are most likely to be of concern based on their CPAs and TCPAs. If ever there is any cause for concern, usually a vessel that sets off a collision avoidance alarm (or should), I am immediately awakened. Once the watch stander became concerned because he could see the bright lights of another vessel, whose bearing remained constant off our port bow. He couldn't find it on radar, but knew it was getting closer, and based on its brightness he was worried it was too close for comfort and woke me up. Turns out it was a star just above the horizon.

The other entry-level skills are a bit easier: course changes will not be necessary, so monitoring the AP is limited to watching cross track error; radio watch requires only that the helmsman identify calls that are either directed to us (by name or location/heading/speed) or are emergency in nature that concern us -- when in doubt wake me; an occasional glance at gauges to make sure the engines are performing within expected parameters and that the bilge pumps are not running; rudimentary engine room checks (done at watch changes), making sure that the checker does not fall overboard (and if he does, engines to full stop, which will wake me, throwable in the water immediately, and visual search for the guy who went overboard).

It takes some time for these skills to be mastered. Only then will these skills be built upon. Things like adjusting the range on radar. Hailing vessels to negotiate a crossing. More in-depth engine room checking. Use of FLIR and scanning sonar to help watch for floating debris, etc.

For new watchstanders, even old ones....a watch alert is a good safety tool.

You set it like a timer...after that time a buzzer goes off....if after so many seconds you don't shut off the buzzer (which resets everything) a loud siren/horn wakes the dead or it can be made to set off a remote alarm.

If a watchstander falls asleep or is away from the helm too long,this alerts others.

We had them on out larger commercial boats.

something like this.....

https://www.go2marine.com/Aqualarm-...AeV5ZtRD7gRVy0aeK1YNreUHODjmzEQQaAu3VEALw_wcB

I occasional do a week or two cruise with friends that have very limited boat experience. I start with a limited document similar to what fgarriso listed. I give that to them well before we begin the trip. It clearly outlines what the expectations will be and includes simple things such as the need for everything on board needing to be secure at all times.

On the first day day out we do an MOB drill. After explaining what to do and the newbie is at the helm several hours later, I toss a life jacket in the water, yell man overboard and just watch to see how much the took in. It is during the practical training like this that they learn and remember. Talk, notes and videos are a good start but practical training is needed in the critical areas.

As I understand it, the OP wants an alert human who is smart enough to understand something untoward is about to happen if the captain is not awakened, and everybody else is giving him a list of qualifications and standards varying from just getting by to relatively expert. You can expose somebody to the most complete list of subjects in a video or a book, but how are you going to cram JUDGMENT based on experience at sea into that brain? Not gonna happen before getting underway. The discussion so far points to the complexities inherent in going to sea and how truly varied situations may be. If one intends to leave a neophite on watch while he sleeps, the owner/captain must be certain the neophite is trained to handle the type of waters being transited. It is a near nothing burger to train a willing but inexperience person to stand guard during the night running across the Big Bend of Florida, but you have to expect a lot more of your watchstanders to transit the Straits of Gibralter or heading into and out of Tokyo. One size does not fit all until training is complete after a couple of years and a lot of sea time.

First of all, I would never give an inexperienced helmsman sole nightwatch duty under any circumstance. No matter the time, if they have the helm, I'm going to be there with them, which I enjoy. And inevitably, they do too.

First of all, I would never give an inexperienced helmsman sole nightwatch duty under any circumstance. No matter the time, if they have the helm, I'm going to be there with them, which I enjoy. And inevitably, they do too.

As the OP asked, there is a lot of leeway in defining "inexperienced." Is my non-mariner wife who has accompanied me on many a voyage but seldom taken the helm inexperienced? I would say YES, BUT she has been exposed to many a "situation" with me explaining to her what, why, and how each time. That counts for experience, but by my standards, she is still inexperienced because except for the the Power Squadron safe boating course, she has never cracked a book like the COLREGs to further her nautical education nor has she even wanted to learn to moor to a pier. You MUST add study to on-water experience to truly know your stuff. Still, she knows enough as the sole watchstander when crossing the Gulf at night to reach over two feet to wake me if ANYTHING changes from the status quo. I get maybe two hours of sleep on night crossings even in the vacant quarter of the Big Bend because there is an inexperienced person at the helm. Were I to have somebody at the helm with the length of "training" proposed by the OP, I would not even get those two hours because there would be two of us at the helm with me constantly instructing though the entire watch.

For new watchstanders, even old ones....a watch alert is a good safety tool.

You set it like a timer...after that time a buzzer goes off....if after so many seconds you don't shut off the buzzer (which resets everything) a loud siren/horn wakes the dead or it can be made to set off a remote alarm.

If a watchstander falls asleep or is away from the helm too long,this alerts others.

We had them on out larger commercial boats.

something like this.....

https://www.go2marine.com/Aqualarm-...AeV5ZtRD7gRVy0aeK1YNreUHODjmzEQQaAu3VEALw_wcB

That looks simple and effective. And not just “asleep at the switch”, but overboard as well.
I suppose the Captain wears the key around his neck while sleeping [emoji41]

That looks simple and effective. And not just “asleep at the switch”, but overboard as well.
I suppose the Captain wears the key around his neck while sleeping [emoji41]

We use the timer on our phones.

Hey, steering a boat is not rocket science. My autopilot can do it. Just about anybody can do it. My five year old grandson loves to steer the boat!

When an inexperienced hand is at the helm, the captain better be close by. It is not time to go take a nap.

pete

I think the point of the thread is training so the captain CAN take a nap.

When managing inexperienced crew in addition to training I do what I can to set them up for success. For example night watches are a challenge for those not accustomed to working in the dark, solo, unsupported. I'll work with them a bit as night falls to help them get comfortable. Then I send them off to bed and stand the night watch. Next step is short night watches of 2 or 3 hrs. The same with restricted visibility and or heavy traffic.

Make sure that your insurance will cover someone at the helm that is not on your policy. Mine won’t.

Make sure that your insurance will cover someone at the helm that is not on your policy. Mine won’t.

That's an interesting limitation. Typically, as long as you're on board, you'd be ok.

Video guest training for overnight passages?!??!?!?!? STOP THIS INSANITY IN ITS TRACKS NOW!! Anyone taking watch on an overnight passage should be a well seasoned mariner (as in years and years of experience)- not trained by a power point.

Hands ON training; how quaint. Its a new world out there. Wanna be 747 captains get full training without aircraft...

Hands ON training; how quaint. Its a new world out there. Wanna be 747 captains get full training without aircraft...

Yeah, but we don't have fancy multi-million dollar boat simulators to train people with...

That's an interesting limitation. Typically, as long as you're on board, you'd be ok.

I agree...plus it's the first thing the LEOs will usually ask..."who is in charge" versus "who was driving".

There are many reasons to be the owner (insured) and not driving...definitely check your policy

"Ideally, a one hour sit down for the new helmsmans, in front of a TV to learn the basics. And then, of course, some boat specific training on the particular AP, radar on the vessel. TI"

This assumes your guest is interested in learning , not simply sharing the work load during a transit.

Sailing to the Carib our Aries self steering was an excellent helmsman , so as a watch stander the only instruction was wake me if you see any lights. 3 on 6 off a vacation!

On a power boat learning the engine temps and pressures is a non starter.

We use Murphy Gauges to monitor all mechanical functions , and engage the auto secure to shut down the engine automatically.

The watch stander needs only to watch the auto pilot is still steering the written on a chalk board course , and watch for ship lights.

Back
Top Bottom