Helm Height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Curious what height folks like their helm to be in a standing position. I have a 40’ motorsailor and am considering doing some steering changes.
My helm is 28” and the top of the wheel comes to just below my sternum. This makes me have to lean over considerably to grab the lower portion of the wheel. Which means I’m not looking where I am going for an instant. I was thinking about raising it six or 7 inches. Visibility will be effected but just for stuff on top of the helm station
Top of the wheel would be about armpit high.
I think physically I will have more command at this height. Any opinions. Ha!

I think I'd find that uncomfortably high, as it would be hard to use a single hand on top of the wheel for small adjustments. I'd have to measure my wheel to be sure, but I think it's 24". Mine is also around sternum height when standing. Personally, I rarely reach for the lower part of the wheel, and if I do, my hand is usually not all the way out at the edge.

As far as height goes, my shoulders and head are only about 2 inches lower when sitting vs standing at my helm, so wheel reach is good for either.

It is the rare instance that I need to grab near the bottom of my wheel or any boat I have steered.

I think sternum high might be perfect or in other words where my arms comfortably fall with elbows bent and hands resting on top of the wheel.

My upper helm wheel (6 spoke SS destroyer style) is 28 inches too. Hydraulic so not much resistance. 5 turns lock to lock. Only time there is a lot of wheel turning going on is docking. Ill reach down a side about halfway between the hub and the rim and spin the wheel. Never the bottom of the wheel unless I'm sitting and steering with my feet.

One of the first things I did to Willy was raise the helm about 3”.

Builder's height works for 5'8" me.

Attachments

• radiated mark.jpg
    radiated mark.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 23
Builder's height works for 5'8" me.

Good to see a picture. I'd say mine is at a similar height or a hair higher. Looks like exactly the same wheel as well.

Mark,
What percentage of the time at the helm do you stand?

Probably about 5%?
I always thought you were taller.

Is the wheel hard to turn? As previously mentioned, I just used a couple of fingers on a spoke, pretty close to the hub if I needed to go hard over quickly. As Psneeld said, I also liked having the top of the wheel come to hand comfortably. My wife is about 8 inches shorter than I and was equally comfortable with the wheel position. Unlike me she much prefers piloting with the wheel rather than the autopilot remote.

RXxYTPfn2uSUjVEC3h5dTvJ3I5Hg_lAtKu7UhEgWGnEXhZUNtF7WmJd0ie60m8rZnoqyjzOZwDVKzF7hMbRuO3HlTpuS9MqqpMFA3zUgYT5aVgLHNAR2IXRkI4apj942YDCKVKqQgl4XaQTx8sABchD3k8Dg22koABdXhYJA5iHUcW_rK7hgmKQt5RhiB2wx-SQXGCo-XSWbrc_01cIk0Su8uKuDyFR7sbkPY_Z6ltKaHRz6SOlcEMvLmtzVFWj3ATDwTLjZAl1WkwPhA37N_PDrdnEf9YRVwU9MODvTpk6Ok49n05g5MMN_PqZaJnTBGWDILwkTaO1ZNwlCTeOD4juV5MOHtQKPTklWDV8PfdpPQwBMRotAf-538eFElokD54hXMcUij9iiA9b-0tZwuvSTPfbc_NZQ7fREK7bZVYwvcXVeTVE3tN3grzqr-4A2cf2H6IVX5n9ibQXE2DrNNpXFgffJb-hUwqc31xCMV1cqSR5o2b7tnPRNpE2laMNFaswXHTwKJyFH1wniYr2b0UQoI5yuepOjb1W4ARjVBeyXMA1dyfWwmGL2u8sNCMAhAjMo0DfvMUZAr__dwQsmTT-RdB89HDy1UwbIFlMYzTOW1PtbTKoIxAtxCsX1Ax_JRdMoR2VSZN3Lp-04CLZJvjdb2EYoqrp3UTfwW8xqspYC8rqRgjn2c7Td9UZe=w585-h872-no

Mark,
What percentage of the time at the helm do you stand?

Probably about 5%?
I always thought you were taller.

Stand about one-fourth of the time. Often cruise with autopilot. Even then, strolling in the pilothouse looking.

Never tall. Always second shortest at school. Meanwhile, I'm shrinking.

Don't think I've ever grabbed the bottom half of the wheel. For more than modest adjustments, I push the port or starboard putton on the autopilot and it moves the rudder faster than I can crank it over.

Ted

"Which means I’m not looking where I am going for an instant."

SO? What is the danger? Docking ?

At 6 mph the vessel will travel about 9 feet in one second.

Last edited:
I have a folding booster step for cruising. I fold it away prior to docking maneuvers.
Top of my wheel is about sternum and I am 5'7" so I guess that is about right.
(step folded away.)
With step extended, the top of the 24" destroyer type wheel is about waist high. Much easier to see the foredeck.
(I was supposed to be 6' tall but, i settled in shipping.)
I am still hoping to find an old fashion wood helm wheel.

Last edited:
Touch the wheel? Perish the thought.

Attachments

• IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 14
You can come over on Saturday and measure until your heart is content...

The top of my wheel is at 48". My helm seat is at 33". Top of Instrumentation at the center of my console is 61.5". This allows a 5'6" person to see the bow of the boat and beyond while standing. I can email or PM the design layout and measurements if you like. I'm having a particularly difficult time attaching photos to this post.

The top of my wheel is at 48". My helm seat is at 33". Top of Instrumentation at the center of my console is 61.5". This allows a 5'6" person to see the bow of the boat and beyond while standing. I can email or PM the design layout and measurements if you like. I'm having a particularly difficult time attaching photos to this post.

Good thought on providing measurements. I'll be at the boat tonight or tomorrow, so I'll pull out the tape measure while I'm there.

The only time I use the bottom of the wheel is as a foot rest. Try adding a speed knob is you need fast turning.

Thanks Irene!

Mr Weebles.
Right now my helm is about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock.
Cable and chain and trying to move a rudder with over 7 square feet of area. I am planning to change to hydraulic steering. The specs on the pump and cylinder give me the very least turns is a bit over 4 lock to lock. Since I can’t simulate the amount of torque I will need to turn the newer set up I am looking at making sure I have all the leverage I need.
If things end up as I hope the helm should be much easier and hopefully much quicker to steer but it will take much more movement to accomplish the old mechanical set up. If the wheel is up a bit I will be able to grab the spokes on each side and give an up and a down pressure for steering. Mechanically this is much better then simply grasping the top of the wheel.
Problem is I don’t know how much I will need if any.

The change in steering ratio going from 2.5 to 4 turns lock to lock should reduce the effort significantly, assuming there's no increase in system friction.

My helm is at a similar height to Mark's Coot.
Recently, I raised the helm seat, giving me a better view and extra drawer under the seat. Now my height is higher seated compared to standing.

The centre of helm wheel is at my knees and I would probably have problems grabbing the bottom spoke if I ever tried, but but there is no need to.
90% on autopilot, 8% steering by sail with no A/P, 2% easy hand steering with a well balanced rudder.

I tend to stand more then sit. If I sit I will be back up in minutes to do something. Crazy!

I use the "naval rule of thumb" to determine helm height. The center of the wheel is the same height as when I stick my thumb in my navel.

But seriously, the center of my wheel is at 38 3/4", which seems a little higher than those pictured, but just right for me. My problem was that the helm seat was too high. When sitting on it, I felt like I had to bend down to get a clear view out the windows. Also, the seat was so high that I couldn't comfortably reach the foot rest. If my legs are dangling or at an angle like post #13, the pressure on the back of my legs gets uncomfortable. Even if the wheel is so low or far away that I chose to use the autopilot, I still have to sit there for hours. Instead of raising my foot rest, I lowered the entire seat about 3 inches. I also upholstered the pad to the seat so that it couldn't slide off. Finally, I upholstered the underneath of the seat for a little padding. When I stand at the helm during rough weather, it is nice to have something to press back against to steady myself. The little shelf is just the right height to hook two cheeks on.

There is ergonomic information in places on the web that describe what makes a comfortable footrest. It basically has to be angled about 10 degrees and 15-18" below the level of the seat. Then, if the top of the wheel is chest high, I'm good for a 4 hour helm watch.

There are pictures in my photo album, but I haven't learned how to link them to a post yet.

Back
Top Bottom