Helm Chairs - redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CDreamer, you mentioned bench seats in your opening thread. Well those are a reality on a lot of boats. My Burger had one, no helm chair. On autopilot we sat on the bench, scanned the waters, or occasionally stood to focus in on the radar. Manual steering was done standing up. Seemed to work out just fine. I sailed up and down the Pacific coast like that, and the previous owner took her to Aussie-land without complaining about not having a "captain's chair."

My preference is for a helm chair, but it's not a necessity if your boat doesn't have one.

Another vote for stidd,sitting in mine right now with my feet up on the helm,reclined back,truly high quality,comfy and very solid

Attachments

• 20201212_163707.jpg
    20201212_163707.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 50
I've had excellent luck with chairs from pontoon boat manufacturers. I got two for $500 on close out and they have been excellent!

I've got over 1000 hours sitting on these and still very comfy. Can adjust up and down, back rest forward/back, slide chair forward and back, have a bolster (but I rarely use it, unlike I thought). It also swivels 360d. Easy to reach everything, but usually the AP is doing the steering.

The second one is almost identical, except no bolster, but the leg rest swings up. The pix was taken prior to installing the captains seat.

While the Stidd is a fine chair, I'd have a custom chair designed to my body first. Just too much money. There are custom shops that will build your chair to exactly your fit, and they are comfortable.

Attachments

• Helm Seat.jpg
    Helm Seat.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 46
I keep wondering why something like this won't work for $239.00

Almost identical to a pair of superyacht throwaways a mate got from a recent refit.

If it's durable enough to handle the forces from a human sitting there in rough seas and you could find a way to mount it securely, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The price of a good helm seat is honestly pretty insane for what you get.

Office chairs are designed for vertical loads, but not lateral loads. But, throwaway the 1" support shaft and bolt on a swivel plate, or even a slide/swivel plate, and then use a larger diameter pedestal shaft and base and they could work OK. Parts are readily available.

The swivel plate can attach to a pipe frame than has legs angled out to give a wide enough base. Pic only shows the top, I'll try and get a better pic later today and add it. Many advantages to a freestanding helm chair, which also has a cable to attach to the sole if conditions require it.

Attachments

• 6 Pilothouse helm 2.jpg
    6 Pilothouse helm 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 41
This is a old thread... :)

I replaced my helm chair a couple years ago with one made by Llebroc.

https://www.llebroc.com/

Had it covered in the same material as my pilothouse seating.

Attachments

• AB2D4A91-E2C6-4E3C-8CBE-26605CD35A56.jpg
    AB2D4A91-E2C6-4E3C-8CBE-26605CD35A56.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 83030A8F-ACC4-4865-A91D-5EE802A16C45.jpg
    83030A8F-ACC4-4865-A91D-5EE802A16C45.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
The price of a good helm seat is honestly pretty insane for what you get.
Absolutely
Office chairs are designed for vertical loads, but not lateral loads. But, throwaway the 1" support shaft and bolt on a swivel plate, or even a slide/swivel plate, and then use a larger diameter pedestal shaft and base and they could work OK. Parts are readily available.

The swivel plate can attach to a pipe frame than has legs angled out to give a wide enough base. Pic only shows the top, I'll try and get a better pic later today and add it. Many advantages to a freestanding helm chair, which also has a cable to attach to the sole if conditions require it.

She already has a nice, comfortable chair in place on a good adjustable support post but the seat does need recovering.
Cost of recover probably several x more than the seat linked to.
Figure it would have a flat ply base that could screw to the aluminium base of the post already on board.

Our current seat has no foot support step but a $5 kmart plastic step works fine and is easily moved out of the way when needing to stand

Last edited:
Here is pic showing the lower section of my helm chair, including turnbuckle and eye in the sole for securing it. I used that feature all the time prior to installing Naiad stabilisers, but in the last 8 years have only used it a couple of times. The Naiad's just keep the boat flat, for the roll at least. I added the folding footrest. It has a 360° swivel plate. Its great being able to position it wherever you want, including completely out of the way!

I think an aly pipe frame, like this is, could work well with an office chair which often will have a 6" square plate (or similarly spaced mounting holes) underneath for attaching the gas-lift apparatus. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but a cost effective solution if you need a better seat than you have. Most likely just use what came with the boat as there will be higher priority items for available boat bucks.

Attachments

• Helm Chair.jpg
    Helm Chair.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
How about adapting a long haul truckers chair? Those things are designed for sitting on your arse day in and day out

How about adapting a long haul truckers chair? Those things are designed for sitting on your arse day in and day out

So are executive office chairs/computer gaming chairs
Computer gaming chairs probably have arses in for longer stints than truckers. ;)

Hmm, now that I think about my nephew sitting in front of that damn gaming computer all day long, I think you might be right!

I've had excellent luck with chairs from pontoon boat manufacturers. I got two for $500 on close out and they have been excellent!

Did you pay $250 each or $500 each? And what company?

I just came across a brand named Deckmate selling a high back pontoon captain chair that reclines for $400 (might be same chair as yours). Looks like basically the same thing that Taylor Made sells for $1300.

Last edited:
We use a Herman Miller Aeron Bar-Stool Height at our lower helm. Breathable, endlessly adjustable and ridiculously comfortable. Also very stable but we tie it down if there’s any chance of rough weather. Not cheap, but nowhere near the price of a Stidd.

Attachments

• 65EDFB68-BBBD-47E0-A1F1-BC82197B28B1.jpeg
    65EDFB68-BBBD-47E0-A1F1-BC82197B28B1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 24
look at the Leather Seats from a Honda Odyssey. The back seats have both arm rests and are waaay more comfortable than most high end Marine seats. Junkyards have clean seats for $100.... Laugh at me if you want but they are well made ,adjustable and comfortable. ....Cut the seat belt receiver off, mount it on your choice of pedestal. They aren't Stidds, but they are better than 80% of the "marine Premium seating" options out there

look at the Leather Seats from a Honda Odyssey. The back seats have both arm rests and are waaay more comfortable than most high end Marine seats. Junkyards have clean seats for $100.... Laugh at me if you want but they are well made ,adjustable and comfortable. ....Cut the seat belt receiver off, mount it on your choice of pedestal. They aren't Stidds, but they are better than 80% of the "marine Premium seating" options out there

Not a bad idea. If you can mount the seat frame to a pedestal solidly, they're probably just as solid in rough seas as a good "marine" helm chair. And if you want to get fancy, you could maintain the power adjustments.

Did you pay $250 each or $500 each? And what company?

I just came across a brand named Deckmate selling a high back pontoon captain chair that reclines for $400 (might be same chair as yours). Looks like basically the same thing that Taylor Made sells for $1300.

$525 for both, including shipping. I got them from:
[FONT=&quot]LaToya Derrick
[FONT=&quot]Accounting Clerk III[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brunswick Leisure Boats - Fort Wayne Operations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1111 N. Hadley Road[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fort Wayne, IN 46804[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Office: (260) 459-4965[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fax: (260) 436-1615[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LaToya.Derrick@bbgfwo.com[/FONT]
[/FONT]

But that was three years ago. Nice seats, high back reclines, 360d turn, bolster. Super happy with them.

$525 for both, including shipping. I got them from:
[FONT=&quot]LaToya Derrick
[FONT=&quot]Accounting Clerk III[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brunswick Leisure Boats - Fort Wayne Operations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1111 N. Hadley Road[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fort Wayne, IN 46804[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Office: (260) 459-4965[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fax: (260) 436-1615[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LaToya.Derrick@bbgfwo.com[/FONT]
[/FONT]

But that was three years ago. Nice seats, high back reclines, 360d turn, bolster. Super happy with them.

Thanks. Any chance you can upload a pic of the bottom of the chair? My intention is to just mount it on the base I already have if possible.

Thanks. Any chance you can upload a pic of the bottom of the chair? My intention is to just mount it on the base I already have if possible.

Don't have a pix of the bottom, but it fit on the standard boat mount I bought for the 3" pedestal. But will try to get a pix.

Ooo - do they have heating and cooling as well? Our Hyundai has those in the front and despite my b*llsh*t-o-meter running when we bought the car, it is rather nice on cold/hot days! Given that sitting in the seat is mostly/wholly when motoring, energy use may be moot...

Ooh, a heated helm chair would be awesome on those cool days early and late in the season

Another vote for stidd

Am glad to have installed a stidd as well very worth the money,and as a liveaboard use the chair every day even at the dock,once it's all said and done and Installed you'll be glad you didnt make a different choice I almost went the car seat route with custom made pedestal and even those are better than most marine grade seats

Attachments

• 20201212_163655.jpg
    20201212_163655.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
How much time do you really spend "driving" and actually sitting in your lower helm chair?

- they don't even seem particularly well-suited to a comfortable steering position. Hunching forward to reach the wheel, my feet don't really seem to be in the right place, etc.

My boat is a little bigger than the size range you mentioned, so my experience is mostly irrelevant, but I can tell you that I spend a lot of time seated at the helm but rarely am I hunched over the steering wheel, primarily because we are on AP most of the time. If anything the Stidd's are too comfortable for passage making -- I worry about them inducing sleep. (Glad I didn't get the high backs.)

I've got no autopilot (it's on the list), so I'm always hand steering. I keep the chair forward enough that with my feet on the foot rest, my knees just clear the wheel. No hunching to steer, just sit upright but not leaned back in the chair.

I almost always sit at the helm. The only time I tend to stand up is while docking.

Am glad to have installed a stidd as well very worth the money,and as a liveaboard use the chair every day even at the dock,once it's all said and done and Installed you'll be glad you didnt make a different choice I almost went the car seat route with custom made pedestal and even those are better than most marine grade seats

I suppose that just depends upon if money is of absolutely no object to you or not. Even a used Stidd costs more than I paid for my car! Unless they are padded with crumpled $100 bills, I can't possibly imagine why they need to cost so much. Is it constructed of vinyl and foam? Or alien skin and zero gravity space dust? I certainly believe you that it's a comfortable chair, but this isn't new cutting edge technology that requires a team of rocket scientists and billions in R&D. It's a premium "marine" product that's not made at large scale, so they scalp you on it. Some people are fine with that, and that is perfectly ok. But i'm certain an equally comfortable seat can be purchased for a fraction of the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom