Hello and question of 6pack license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree 100%. The renewal process is grueling and a PIA. I also did Seaschool and got master but it was not a cakewalk. Several students in my class were coast guard and did not pass.

I've lost track of how many license exams I've taken over the years but I don't recall it being all that difficult, it was in pursuit of a career however so my motivation may have been a bit different.

Agree 100%. The renewal process is grueling and a PIA. I also did Seaschool and got master but it was not a cakewalk. Several students in my class were coast guard and did not pass.

Just because they are Coast guard is an irrelevant fact.. They could be a cook, yeoman, aviator or other rate that isn't involved in Navigation or vessel operations...Its not an osmosis type learning situation

Just because they are Coast guard is an irrelevant fact.. They could be a cook, yeoman or other rate that isn't involved in Navigation or vessel operations...Its not an osmosis type learning situation

You got that right, just putting a blue suit on a Kansas farm boy doesn't make him a good seaman. I've seen Coasties that knew their stuff and I've seen some that were down right comical.

OUPV license

Hello
We are in the process of buying a trawler for major travel on the East Coast and parts of the great loop. I have been boating nearly my whole life and feel very confident in taking on this challenge. That said, I am looking at taking the Captains License online. Anyone have experience with these providers? Is it worth it?

Thanks

I am a CG approved instructor at Carteret Community College in Morehead City NC. I have had several students who have attempted online courses.

May I recommend our program. It is $225. It is comprehensive and we take you through the application process as well as a courtesy.

Check us out https://carteret.edu/corporate-and-...s-environmental-science/marine-captains-cced/

Last edited:
This may have been answered, apologies if I repeat others before reading the whole thing...

If you do not intend to use the license commercially, there is almost no point it taking the course. Yes it is a good course, but you can get the same thing as just courses with the CG Auxiliary / Power Squadron, and likely other sources. You may get a slight ins discount, but would likely take 10 years or more to offset the Mariner's course costs. I highly encourage all boaters to educate themselves, but obtaining a USCG commercial license is not the most cost effective way, unless you intent to use that license. Full Disclosure, I do carry a 50T Master license, and while I don't use it full time, i do take on deliveries and training clients here and there. If I didn't I would have just followed the advice I gave. :)

No, you cannot get the same thing through CG Auxiliary and Power Squadron. I believe in the formal training of good maritime schools. $699 for 8 days of professional classroom training or $799 for 11 days just seems like an incredible deal to me.

I am a CG approved instructor at Carteret Community College in Morehead City NC. I have had several students who have attempted online courses.

May I recommend our program. It is $225. It is comprehensive and we take you through the application process as well as a courtesy.

Check us out https://carteret.edu/corporate-and-...s-environmental-science/marine-captains-cced/

What a great deal. The daily commute would be a bit much from my home but I see this as an incredible service for those in your area and your area is one where there are always many wanting to enter the industry. Our Managing, and nearing retiring, Captains are both from the area. I just showed them this and they commented how they wish it had existed when they started. They both started working on their father's boats very young and then became fishing charter captains. Such an active community throughout the area. More praise for NC community colleges.

Looked at your entire marine program. Hope you have much success.

To answer the original question, I have no experience actually using the online providers. I got a master's license some time back, finding all the application info I needed from the USCG on line. All the test questions and answers were available free from the government; I studied these and passed the exam easily. In my experience, paying someone for a course would have been a waste of money.

No, you cannot get the same thing through CG Auxiliary and Power Squadron. I believe in the formal training of good maritime schools. $699 for 8 days of professional classroom training or $799 for 11 days just seems like an incredible deal to me.
Sure, for their purpose, commercial use. But yes you can learn all about the rules of navigation and such through many classes that are not commercial licensing courses. Do i need to furnish links??

Sure, for their purpose, commercial use. But yes you can learn all about the rules of navigation and such through many classes that are not commercial licensing courses. Do i need to furnish links??

You can furnish all you wish but we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't believe one or two days or even three can equal eight days. I also have heard wide disparity between the quality of the instructors, which also exists on schools but the schools I recommend have excellent instructors.

As an aside, Boat America (formerly Power Squadron) does not offer courses in South Florida. CG Auxiliary does. They offer only the Boat America course which is offered as a 4 hour in one day, an 8 hour in one day, or four days of 1.5 hours so in total 4-8 hours. Not going to match up to 8 days even if some of the 8 days or 11 days even if some of the time isn't useful to the person not looking to license.

When I discussed the volunteer courses I did mention the modular courses.

I don't know how they are set up now, but the old Aux course had like 12 modules each covering a topic per session.

Subtract out the test taking, review and application portions of the captains license course...and there wouldn't be a huge difference.

It would get people started at a less daunting pace without the pressure of paying and deciding whether to apply to the USCG. Maybe a good start if they ever decide to go to a prep course.

Certainly the 8 hour safety certificate courses aren't even close. So unless there are the modular courses handy nearby, some form of internet learning, whether captains prep ourselves or different might be your only option.

2 things are important and about the individual. One is the instructor is important. The choice matters as the presentation has to be clearly understood. Two is some just don't do well retaining info when shoveled at them. Many captains that were in my courses admitted they had forgotten much of the material because they just never really retained it past the tests.

Thus my encouragement by me to look for education but not prep courses. License...sure take an on line or classroom prep course. Knowledge...go to some volunteer courses and consider them intro courses (101 type) and look for more or know you know which way to go to further your learning on your own.

The basic courses as long as you have experience will probably get you most of your insurance siscount.

Last edited:
You can furnish all you wish but we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't believe one or two days or even three can equal eight days. I also have heard wide disparity between the quality of the instructors, which also exists on schools but the schools I recommend have excellent instructors.

As an aside, Boat America (formerly Power Squadron) does not offer courses in South Florida. CG Auxiliary does. They offer only the Boat America course which is offered as a 4 hour in one day, an 8 hour in one day, or four days of 1.5 hours so in total 4-8 hours. Not going to match up to 8 days even if some of the 8 days or 11 days even if some of the time isn't useful to the person not looking to license.
Always so wonderful to run into someone so certian that they know everything, and what is best for everyone else...

The reality is everyone learns differently. Take your own knowledge of how you personally best learn, and apply it to the answers given :) The reality is you could take everything, do all the training and qualifying to command unlimited tonnage on ocean passages... just to pilot your trawler in the end. Nothing "wrong" with above and beyond training.

Lots of responses here! But back to your original question about Mariner Learning Systems. I got this program back in 2016. I would have preferred a live classroom experience but I simply did not have the large blocks of time needed for that. I really enjoyed the MLS system and thought it was well-organized. The self-testing feature is priceless. And BTW - on the sound advice of experienced friends and colleagues, I went for a master license and not the OPUV (6-pack). I also added the sailing and assistance towing endorsements.That has made a huge difference! A bit more time and money and a total of seven (!!) exams, but in my case well worth it. It has opened up a very enjoyable world of part time seasonal Captain work for me on beautiful Lake Champlain. Good luck!

agree with all but the last paragraph

I can't speak to the experience of a online 6-pack class but I can for the in person, classroom offering from Sea School. I very much enjoyed the class and time spent with the instructor as well as the other students, honestly it was probably the most enjoyable part of the class. Everything mentioned above is true, there are a lot of questions on the CG test that an experienced recreational boater is just unlikely to know including the personnel deck qualifications (ratings) for big commercial. A structured classroom environment will make it much easier than sitting for the test, you also take a less extensive test than if you just sit for the CG test directly, the combination of classroom learning allows the schools to offer they own version of the test and you are not going to encounter any topics that the school did not cover.

I didn't see it mentioned, but logging your time and experience is one of the biggest hurtles for most as you need 365 days within 5 years. You can vouch for yourself if you own a boat but otherwise you need the vessel owner or operator to sign off on this. I suspect a lot of boaters fudge the numbers on this as it is a hard number to acquire when you are a seasonal, recreational boater. I was working on charter full time and it was still hard to come up with that many hours. Another hurtle for many aging boaters can be the physical, a transportation physical similar to a commercial truck driver is required, some older boaters with pre-existing conditions can find this to be a challenge depending on the physician doing the exam.

The renewal process is every 5 years and can be a bit of a pain in my opinion, I let mine lapse after renewing it once as I was not working full time in a marine industry and between the physical and logging hours, it just didn't seem worth it. Jurisdictions (states) or insurance that requires boating safety courses will accept an expired USCG license as an acceptable qualification. Most trawler owners tend to be old enough to be grandfathered in and not required these boater safety classes anyway.

The following is just here-say but sounds possible to me: A licensed captain is scrutinized to a greater extent if an accident occurs. I would be nervous about holding a license based on sketchy time logs in the case of an incident. I suspect it is the only time your experience would be scrutinized and perhaps creates an "out" for your insurance that wouldn't exist for a non-licensed captain.

And I really liked Sea School and felt it worthwhile if you are going to leave your own backyard.

Hello
We are in the process of buying a trawler for major travel on the East Coast and parts of the great loop. I have been boating nearly my whole life and feel very confident in taking on this challenge. That said, I am looking at taking the Captains License online. Anyone have experience with these providers? Is it worth it?

Thanks
Just a heads up. Get accustomed to calling it the "uninspected vessel" license. The CG hates it when you call it the "6 pack". I don't know why, I've just heard that. Of course you could avoid that controversy and just get your Master 25T. If you are going take the course and the test it really isn't that much more work.

Apparently there's a need, you got a trawler? PM me and we can work out a deal for training. I'll accompany you on your boat using your equipment and we'll practice in as many varied conditions as are available and for as long as you want or your checkbook holds out. I believe I've displayed my credentials elsewhere on this thread if your curious. I don't drink but I do swear sometimes.

I just submitted my USCG package for my 100 Ton Master after 4.5 years as unlicensed captain in my 99 gross ton 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian.

I did the Mariners Learning Course twice. Once when I got the boat to expand my boating knowledge and recently after completing my 360 days of sea time underway.

Strongly recommend MLS even if you never pursue your OPUV six pack.

The USCG requirements are rather extensive given insurance companies give no insurance credit for the CG license. Unless
You plan to do commercial charter the knowledge is valuable but the USCG license is probably not worth it.

In my case I am retired and I just found it challenging. I hated being called captain just because I was an owner operator. I wanted to have earned that title.

Good luck.

Always so wonderful to run into someone so certian that they know everything, and what is best for everyone else...

I have never argued what any individual should choose. I simply stated you could learn more in an 8 day course than in an 8 hour course. If you're in an area where the courses offered by the auxiliary or the former power squadron can be expanded, then the equation changes.

I'm sure my wife and I could have learned faster in a self driven online course, but still like the experience at the time of the classroom. Today, we're likely go online.

Ok so what happened to the Op? A really long thread with lots of opinions and we never heard the op's reasons for getting said OUPV.

I will look seriously at your courses. I am in Clayton NC. The fall is a bit busy for me, but I have strong interest in the classes. I am sure they fill up fast. Thank you for providing the link! I am already scouting for the right time.
Thanks

The eastern NC community colleges have some very interesting marine related classes, along with the captains class, that might be of interest to people. They have boat plumbing, engine, electrical, classes, as well as boat building if one really wants to go deep. :D

Along with the previously mentioned college, here are some other links:

Later,
Dan

The eastern NC community colleges have some very interesting marine related classes, along with the captains class, that might be of interest to people. They have boat plumbing, engine, electrical, classes, as well as boat building if one really wants to go deep. :D

Along with the previously mentioned college, here are some other links:

Later,
Dan

This and the history of boat building in the area are among the reasons Johnny Morris and his White River group purchased Hatteras and are now producing Mako boats there as rapidly as they can.

I think one possible point of confusion with STCW is that there are many parts to it. STCW basic safety has been around for a long time, and has been required for anything above the most basic license.

But STCW covers a very wide range of topics, and starting in 2017 (I think) they all became required for an "international" CG license. The historic CG license is now called a "domestic" license and carries the same requirements as before. Adding the full scope of STCW training and testing brings the international CG license into compliance with international standards.

So if you are familiar with STCW from pre-2017, be aware that it's much, much more extensive today if you want an international license.

I think one possible point of confusion with STCW is that there are many parts to it. STCW basic safety has been around for a long time, and has been required for anything above the most basic license.

But STCW covers a very wide range of topics, and starting in 2017 (I think) they all became required for an "international" CG license. The historic CG license is now called a "domestic" license and carries the same requirements as before. Adding the full scope of STCW training and testing brings the international CG license into compliance with international standards.

So if you are familiar with STCW from pre-2017, be aware that it's much, much more extensive today if you want an international license.

And for those with USCG licenses, it's an endorsement requiring extra work. Now, for those coming in after it's requirement became final, it's even more as you're not given the credit those who previously crossed over were. That's why there was a rush for US 200 Ton and up captains to get the endorsement. Here are a couple of lines in the timeline from the USCG.

2017: January 1, 2017, the 2010 Amendments to the STCW Convention became fully effective. Transitioning provisions for certain endorsements remain delineated in NVICs.
2019: March 24, 2019, all national transitional provisions became fully effective, all transitional provisions expired.

So in 2017 there were transitional provisions outlined and in 2019 they made your endorsement fully effective but they were not any longer available to others wanting to transition. The window of opportunity closed. Every licensed captain I knew took advantage, as did we. But today, it's not as simple.

Here's a little history from the USCG.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/stcw/stcw_history_implementation_and_structure.pdf

Back
Top Bottom