Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

City: Palm City
Vessel Name: Looking
Height of Defever 34 Trawler

I am thinking about purchasing a Defever 34 on the west coast and having it shipped east. Does any know the height from the keel to the top of the roof and/or the keel to the top of the fly-bridge? I understand the distance must be less than 14 feet to avoid extra shipping cost. I know the draft and the main salon head room os it looks like it will be close.
Islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Actually it must be less than 13'6".

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a Defever 34 on the west coast and having it shipped east. Does any know the height from the keel to the top of the roof and/or the keel to the top of the fly-bridge? I understand the distance must be less than 14 feet to avoid extra shipping cost. I know the draft and the main salon head room os it looks like it will be close.
Where are you landing on the east coast? Once you get to Northern NJ / near NYC, yes, height becomes a huge issue. If you need to go further north and load high, then I'd consider dropping the boat in the water in NJ and taking by water North from there. You will pay for any detours that need to be taken due to height restrictions that is why higher loading costs more. Anything on top of the boat will add height such as antennas, mounts, etc. I'd take down/remove as much as you can.

I looked at buying a west coast boat a couple years ago. Shipping was $30-50k (boat would've loaded in around 15'10" height). Made no sense especially because west coast boat prices were higher in general. That is also a long distance for a boat to be bouncing on a trailer/pavement. Boats are meant to be in the water. I'd be worried about subjecting a boat to that much stress over land.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders View Post
Not familiar w that make / model but doubt any w fly bridge will make it...
My hardtop manship 34HT w no bridge and pretty flat FRP hardtop measures 13 ft w accessories removed from top... about 13-1/2ft loaded. Might have gained a little removing sand shoe but it would have been inches not feet.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Yes, as Don notes above, virtually no fly bridge trawler (his has no fly bridge) will clear 14' without the fly bridge removed. This can easily add $5,000 to your moving costs.

You might ask your trucker if there is any place in the south east where a 16' height (rough guess with the wind shield removed) would be possible so you don't have to remove the fly bridge. Then move it to its final destination on its own bottom.

I can't see the economic justification for moving a boat from the west to east coast unless it is a heirloom.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote