Old 12-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

City: Barnegat Light
Vessel Name: Northern Star
Vessel Model: Bristol 42 1970
headset comms for helm to foredeck

We are finally giving up on hand signals from the helm to the foredeck while anchoring or docking. What's everybody using? I assume some are better than others, especially in windy conditions.Usually I handle the anchor and my wife runs the boat, so it will be nice to talk her through the motions rather than using vague hand signs.Thanks in advance.
woodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Eartec Ultralites

After reading lots of online discussions and talking with a friend who had them, I bought a set of Eartec Ultralites. After a couple of trips using them, I am happy with the choice.

The communication improvement is tremendous. I can’t tell you how nice it is to have an ongoing conversation with everyone involved (I have 4 headsets) with no yelling or hand waving. Anchoring and docking are much easier with conversation instead of hand signals.

One comment on the Ultralites is that they use a push button on/off switch and its not as easy as it could be to know if its off or on. We have had a couple times when the user pushed the button and thought it was off, but actually was still on and ran the battery down while sitting on the shelf. Just takes awareness and overall it was an excellent purchase.

UltraLITE PG 1
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscrew View Post
We are finally giving up on hand signals from the helm to the foredeck while anchoring or docking. What's everybody using? I assume some are better than others, especially in windy conditions.Usually I handle the anchor and my wife runs the boat, so it will be nice to talk her through the motions rather than using vague hand signs.Thanks in advance.
Wood,

I use the Eartec Ultralight ones and they are great. If I were buying again, I might consider the other ones (forget the name), also with a good reputation, just because they wrap around the back of the neck and might be less likely to fall off.

But mine have not fallen off... yet.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Eartech UltraLITE

https://www.amazon.com/Eartec-UltraL.../dp/B01LOKU8KQ

As a side story. We were anchored out a couple of weeks ago and we had the head sets on. My wife was at the bow watching the anchor chain and she started to give me the usual had signals for the direction of the chain and how much more the anchor had to come up. I looked at her thru the windshield and said into the mic "You know you can talk to me".
Old habits die hard.

Todd
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
We bought the Sena SPH10 headsets and like others, they completely improved (calmed down) communication when docking, locking or anchoring. They go around the back of your neck which is a big advantage when you look down to grab lines, adjust fenders or set an anchor but unlike the Eartec you can't easily "pause" them so they are always on. 90% of the time this is fine but when you talk to guests on deck or are chatting with others in a lock, or dockhands it can be distracting - sometimes embarrassing

More than once I've said to my wife "You know I can hear you right?"
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We have used the Sena SPH10 headsets as well. Great performance. I can't imagine anything working any better.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
We purchased a set of Sena Expand headsets last year and the difference is phenomenal. You hardly even know they are on your head and can talk whenever you want with no buttons to push or radios on your belt. Love them.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
We have the Sena SPH10 and they are great. I don't know who they compare to the Eartecs. In addition to all the other uses, we use them to communicate between the boat and dink when we stern tie. Very helpful.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We have used the Sena SPH10 headsets as well. Great performance. I can't imagine anything working any better.
Same here!
Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 AM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
We purchased a set of Sena Expand headsets last year and the difference is phenomenal. You hardly even know they are on your head and can talk whenever you want with no buttons to push or radios on your belt. Love them.
Difference between Expand and SPH10?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
SENA SPH10. So far, so good.

-Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #12

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Bought a set of Eartec.

First response from the wife - "I look like an air traffic controller, I am not going to wear those".

She tried them once for docking, now she will not be without them. Her comment #1 boating accessory.

This past week I was moving the boat from Charleston to south FL. Wife had commitments, she couldn't go.

Grabbed a friend go with me who is retired. Life long working in marine industry. A solid "old Salt" who chuckled and cajoled me about "headsets".

First day about to leave the dock, I convinced him to try it. After that - he was the first to go grab the headsets when we were close to coming in.

They really make it nice.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #13

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Sena SPH10..I like that I can use them to Bluetooth to my phone for tech support calls, and listen to music while working in the engine room. The microphones unplug if you don't need it.
We lost an Eartec headset radio piece over the side, and had a constant battle keeping batteries working in them.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #14

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Road Trip
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
We have the Eartech units. We call them "marriage savers". When cruising alone, we often wear them all day. You can have a normal conversation with your partner when either of you is anywhere on the boat. We like that. If one of you goes up the dock, it can get a bit weird. If you lift the boom mic over your head, it cuts off, so that is one way to maintain some privacy. One problem is that my wife has a rather small head. She has trouble on occasion when handling lines or the anchor with the headset falling off. Me not so much, since my head is rather larger. I guess that means I have to do the lines while she drives the boat. We also have 2 sets of batteries, one in the headsets and one in the charger. If one of the headsets gets sporadic, change both. How did people actually go places on boats without high tech and computers?
markgromurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Sena SPH10 - first thing we bought after closing the deal on the boat. A little fiddly to get paired up at first but they really do the job.
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Difference between Expand and SPH10?
Not a whole lot from what I could gather. The Sph10 comes with 2 mics and has an aux in port for importing music from other devices and not what we wanted them for.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #17

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We love our Eartecs, but I'm sure the Senas are great, too, from all the comments. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either of them.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #18

City: Portland
Sorry if absurd; but I've always thought we'd use walkie-talkies with handsfree earbuds and mics. Sure is a lot cheaper and can't beat the range -voice activated too.
Am I missing something?
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
Sorry if absurd; but I've always thought we'd use walkie-talkies with handsfree earbuds and mics. Sure is a lot cheaper and can't beat the range -voice activated too.
Am I missing something?
To each his own. We didn't want a radio on our belt or any wires as well the Senas voice does not activate, you can both talk at the same time, like a normal conversation. No comparison but if $ motivate you that's a personal choice.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We use Eartech Ultralights and love them.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote