Old 06-30-2019, 01:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'd criticize the state and the press. It was a January 1 law and they allowed until June 30 or July 1 before enforcement, but no one knew. Normally that sort of thing gets all sorts of press and everyone then whining and posting on forums and everyone knows.
God point.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
When entering AK by water through Ketchikan CBT does not automatically provide an entry number. In fact they have told us we don’t need one. Just like entering by air into US or cruise ship.

Better keep a good log book to show the AK Troopers.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Louisiana has the registration law for documented boats too, $75 for 2 or 3 years, can’t remember. No state numbers needed on the bow, just the sticker on starboard/port windows.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Louisiana has the registration law for documented boats too, $75 for 2 or 3 years, can’t remember. No state numbers needed on the bow, just the sticker on starboard/port windows.
You cannot put state numbers on the bow of a documented vessel in any state, only stickers allowed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
At the time I went through this baloney with Louisiana (2011?) The state required the sticker to be displayed with the #. Violation to display sticker alone. I just pay my $ and throw the sticker, envelope and all, in the boats document binder.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Alaska does seem to be an interesting state.

$24 for 3 years of registration? I bet that barely covers the state’s cost to administer the program.

Isn’t Alaska raising taxes so they can continue to give its residents their annual oil money rebate?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

$24 for 3 years of registration? I bet that barely covers the state’s cost to administer the program.

Isn’t Alaska raising taxes so they can continue to give its residents their annual oil money rebate?
We do not have taxes in Alaska. No corporate tax, no personal tax.

Right now we are trying to get the oil money back that the last governor stole from the people.

Back when they started producing oil, a portion of the original money received was put into a fund we call the “permanent fund” as a savings account, not for government operations, but to be paid out annually to the people that live here.

Our last governor stole some of that money, to fund ever increasing state government and the new governor is working hard to give it back.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We do not have taxes in Alaska. No corporate tax, no personal tax.

Right now we are trying to get the oil money back that the last governor stole from the people.

Back when they started producing oil, a portion of the original money received was put into a fund we call the “permanent fund” as a savings account, not for government operations, but to be paid out annually to the people that live here.

Our last governor stole some of that money, to fund ever increasing state government and the new governor is working hard to give it back.

Just keep cutting out State government services until the petroleum revenues continue to cover it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well Sitka is the training center for Alaska State Troopers. I believe they were on the docks as part of a education process. If the stern of you boat has Sitka Alaska or another Alaskan town they seemed to zero on that. Then the whole thing spread like wild fire here on the docks.
Ann's stern:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2863.jpg  
Old 07-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

There are two taxpayers in Alaska. Both are oil companies. Period. The fact that the price of crude is low, coupled with the fact that production is a small fraction of what it once was seems irrelevant. The current governor was elected on a promise to triple the unsustainable dividend. Those people will starve in the dark before they will tax themselves for an essential government service.

I'd like to tell you that I was prescient enough to leave before the crash, but it was much more mundane: My wife threatened to leave before one more Alaska winter.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
At the time I went through this baloney with Louisiana (2011?) The state required the sticker to be displayed with the #. Violation to display sticker alone. I just pay my $ and throw the sticker, envelope and all, in the boats document binder.
It is illegal, a violation of USCG rules to display numbers on a documented boat.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It is illegal, a violation of USCG rules to display numbers on a documented boat.
A documented vessel used for commercial fishing displays very large numbers in some states. It would seem AK is now requiring AK based commercial fishing vessels to display boat registration numbers if I follow ASD’s posts correctly.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Commercial fishing numbers (permit numbers) aren't the same as registration numbers.

If Alaska decides the AK registration number is the same as a "permit number", I doubt the USCG will care, the numbers are different size and location and represent a different requirement.

Plus I am not positive, but the "large permit numbers" may only be fed permits only.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #34
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Florida has been doing the same thing for years. You don't have to put registration numbers on the boat, just display the sticker that you've contributed to the state coffers. Just under $200 for "Slow Hand " per year.

Ted
$4 a year if boat is older than 30 years. Google Florida antique boat registration........
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
$4 a year if boat is older than 30 years. Google Florida antique boat registration........
Except he re powered his boat with I believe is a substantially different engine...may disqualify him
Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Except he re powered his boat with I believe is a substantially different engine...may disqualify him
Good question! The law states similar power if repowered, but does not clarify what that means. I’d argue that replacing a Detroit with a Cummins would be similar since they are both turbo-diesels. But it would depend upon current administrative interpretation of the regulations, case law, so to speak.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Good question! The law states similar power if repowered, but does not clarify what that means. I’d argue that replacing a Detroit with a Cummins would be similar since they are both turbo-diesels. But it would depend upon current administrative interpretation of the regulations, case law, so to speak.
right off the Florida application form…

www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87243.pdf

"A. Original Type Power Plant - Engine of same year and model that the vessel had originally.

now whether you are ever checked is a different story....
Old 07-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #38
Guru

Good catch, I think I never bothered to look on the back for the definition.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
A documented vessel used for commercial fishing displays very large numbers in some states. It would seem AK is now requiring AK based commercial fishing vessels to display boat registration numbers if I follow ASD’s posts correctly.
Those are fishing permit numbers not state registration numbers. I repeat, the USCG does not allow registration numbers to be put on a boat.

ASD is referring to state registration for all boats. Previously it was not required for documented vessels. No numbers will be required for documented vessels, just decals like most other states.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Texas has the same requirement. State registration, but only the sticker required on the front half of the boat (positioned stern of the USCG name). The states started doing this to collect taxes on documented vessels (and now it's an annual tax).

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote