Heading North Again, Finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Yes, I just finished putting the groceries away. I have romaine, meat, fish and poultry (dark meat only please):dance:

Tomorrow, I have a little brace I must add for the mast fore stay down to the gunnel. Put every thing away and I'm good to go.

I'll leave Saturday, weather and seas will determine route, but right now it looks like outside, but probably popping in to anchor twice before Cape Lookout.

Once home, I will give detailed specs and pictures of the paravanes. I just want to get all the adjustments done first.
In sum, I couldn't be happier.:dance::dance:

Safe trip, it's finally starting to warm up a bit up here. The last of my snow melted yesterday and the grass is starting to turn green again.

WOW! 2 nights anchored at Cape Lookout. That is like a shot of spring tonic. Great memories of anchoring and fishing around there.

Take care, and let us know when more pictures are posted.

Did you find any good restaurants in Savannah? I know you're spoiled by all those New York City fancy eateries but still....

Where is Cape Lookout?

Beaufort NC

Looking at weather, well go outside tomorrow, but it will be a short, 40nm, day, as the winds should be on my beam.
On Sunday, they will back to the sw, which should make for perfect Krogen seas and if so, will try to do 33 hours.

Cape Lookout is the highest rated anchorage in ActiveCaptain. It's quite difficult to get more than 20 reviews and average 5 stars for an anchorage (usually requires a free dock to get so many 5 stars). It's a huge anchorage with about 40 reviews today. It's located off the Beaufort inlet in North Carolina. There's an offshore hook leading to a beautiful bight. It has a wonderful sweeping lighthouse, pristine beach, and the wild horses are cued every morning to run for you pleasure.

It's an amazing place. We've been there 3 times. I'd like to spend a week there sometime.

[=Andy G;231349]Where is Cape Lookout?[/QUOTE]

Hi Andy,

Cape Lookout lies at the southern end of the North Carolina Outer Banks. There is a wonderful anchorage that lies within the "hook" that is formed by a narrow beach. Some of my adult children best memories are anchoring there, and playing on the expansive beaches and swimming in the shallow waters of the bay.

Cape Lookout National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Keep us posted. i displayed your track on Marinetraffic...i hope you didn't take Dauntless to the supermarket. Are you using Boat Beacon? I have forgotten to turn mine off too. Its the only way i can display more than 10knts.:dance:

Cape Lookout is the highest rated anchorage in ActiveCaptain. It's quite difficult to get more than 20 reviews and average 5 stars for an anchorage (usually requires a free dock to get so many 5 stars). It's a huge anchorage with about 40 reviews today. It's located off the Beaufort inlet in North Carolina. There's an offshore hook leading to a beautiful bight. It has a wonderful sweeping lighthouse, pristine beach, and the wild horses are cued every morning to run for you pleasure.

It's an amazing place. We've been there 3 times. I'd like to spend a week there sometime.

Thanks. Looks Great. But to get to Pamlico Sound, I must take Adams Creek right?

Thanks. Looks Great. But to get to Pamlico Sound, I must take Adams Creek right?

Correct. You will re-enter the ICW as you go into the port at Morehead City. Cape Lookout is a destination. From the sea buoy at Beaufort Inlet just continuing paralleling the bank to the entrance to the bight. It is about 6 miles or so.

[=Andy G;231349]Where is Cape Lookout?

Hi Andy,

Cape Lookout lies at the southern end of the North Carolina Outer Banks. There is a wonderful anchorage that lies within the "hook" that is formed by a narrow beach. Some of my adult children best memories are anchoring there, and playing on the expansive beaches and swimming in the shallow waters of the bay.

Cape Lookout National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)[/QUOTE]

Looks like a great lighthouse, I'm quite a fan of lighthouses.

It is now our "home anchorage", the best place to anchor and stay awhile on all the coastal waters of the USA, and I put it up against the best the Exumas have to offer. We were there over forty nights last year alone with a couple of one week stints. If you are a beachcomber, nothing comes close. Dozens of miles of undeveloped, white sand beaches, clear water, ocean or bay. I was going to post earlier today but had issues with my photo service. Just to give you a taste:

P7080135.JPG

PA070063.JPG

P8050046.JPG

PA050060.JPG

DSC_0456.JPG

When running Alligator-Pungo canal contact the Alligator River Bridge in advance to find how's the bridge doing. When I was taking my boat north last week the bridge broke down twice in one day. Luckily it didn't take too long for them to fix it.

Dauntless is finally, underway yet again.

Finally, underway yet again.

Passing the COLREGS line in Wassaw Sound, man I've racked up the ocean time:D

I've deployed the poles and will throw the birds in the water as I get to deeper water.

See my next post from my smart phone for a picture.

I'm not planning on going far today, just about 55 miles NE to Big Bay Ck on the north side of St. Helena Sound. Then I'll anchor.

Wx should be even better tomorrow and into the week, making outside travel a piece of cake.

:dance:

ForumRunner_20140503_112426.jpg

ForumRunner_20140503_112510.jpg

ForumRunner_20140503_112441.jpg

ForumRunner_20140503_112523.jpg

ForumRunner_20140503_112510.jpg

Finally, underway yet again.

Passing the COLREGS line in Wassaw Sound, man I've racked up the ocean time:D

I've deployed the poles and will throw the birds in the water as I get to deeper water.

See my next post from my smart phone for a picture.

I'm not planning on going far today, just about 55 miles NE to Big Bay Ck on the north side of St. Helena Sound. Then I'll anchor.

Wx should be even better tomorrow and into the week, making outside travel a piece of cake.

:dance:

I'm at Fripp Island on St Helena Sound celebrating my daughter's graduation from USC Beaufort. I'll wave as you pass by. Have a safe trip!

ForumRunner_20140504_062802.jpg

ForumRunner_20140504_062823.jpg

The Lehman sp135 turnover warmer option.

Underway, fueled up and ready to go

Looks like I will get to both anchor at cape lookout and stay the next day at Beaufort.

I just managed to drop my laptop charger overboard :)

I was watching the dolphins. They thought it was very funny.

They love the birds in the water, There were at least a dozen.

I just managed to drop my laptop charger overboard :)

I was watching the dolphins. They thought it was very funny.

With all the spare parts we carry for our equipment, perhaps that is a reminder to carry spares for our laptops, tablets, and phones. Can't tell you how many car chargers for phones I've bought as I would be in the car and suddenly mine would just stop working. So now our cars all have spares.

Richard-hate to ask, but how did you drop the charger overboard? Following up on B, I have regular 120V chargers for laptops, phones and iPads, but I also have 12V DC converters for each from Powerstream. Underway, all run or charge directly off the 12V system.

If you haven't managed to drop all kinds of random stuff overboard, you just haven't been boating enough!

If you haven't managed to drop all kinds of random stuff overboard, you just haven't been boating enough!

And far better the cord than the laptop. The one I know is coming for us is that we use Tablets wherever we are, whatever we're doing. Even on the tender. Also, cell phones always with us. And it's a given one of those will go overboard sometime.

And before someone says they're a distraction we shouldn't use, they are actually the opposite to us. A couple of days ago we explored and came upon a couple of different parks and national forests. Used tablet to look up some things related to what we were seeing or should see. Quickly picked up some history of another Indiana tribe we weren't familiar with. So we use it to enhance the experience, not distract from it.

The time to me with the most peril of dropping things is transferring to and from the tender.

Richard-hate to ask, but how did you drop the charger overboard? Following up on B, I have regular 120V chargers for laptops, phones and iPads, but I also have 12V DC converters for each from Powerstream. Underway, all run or charge directly off the 12V system.

Actually, I drop kicked it.

Stupidly, lap top was on pilot house bench, but charger cord and converter were plugged into helm station.

So converter was hanging just off floor. I saw a dozen dolphins, as I exited pilot house, my foot snagged converter and next thing I saw was the end of the cord, sliding off the deck, as I watched it in stunned silence.

And p.s. dolphins are not as helpful as you think, not one offered to get it for me!

And p.s. dolphins are not as helpful as you think, not one offered to get it for me!

They clearly need it for their laptops that others have dropped over for them. They aren't able to get to the store to buy their own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom