Head not pumping out :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I did FWIW

Mike, I replaced the toilets with fresh water electric flush Domatec Masterflush toilets and replaced as much hose as I could with schedule 40 pvc pipe. It gets kinda crowded in a couple of spots, but it’s a lot less to worry about. I eliminated the Y valve in the process because most of our cruising area is a no discharge zone. Then, I opened the bung at the aft starboard corner of the tank and connected a hose from there to the no longer needed direct overboard thru hull. I wasn’t happy with the factory holding tank vent line so I rerouted it to a new flush mount (no pun intended) inside the starboard head vanity. I follow Peggys formula for the additive, a combination of water softener and laundry detergent.
There’s no stinky salt water flushes, the toilets use less water than the manual toilets and most of all, the Admiral is happy.

holding tank

All, Thank you very much for the advice. I am sure hoping the pumpout line is not collapsing on itself. That line looks like it would be a pain to replace. Heck the vent line was no fun.
After I go to the other marina and try their pumpout I will look at replacing the pumpout line.
The admiral wants to get new toilets and a different waste system altogether $$$$.The captain/firstmate/deckhand (lol) would like to fix what we have..

Most likely, your pick up pipe from the holding tank to the pump out is metal. The chemicals in the holding tank erode the bottom of the metal pipe so it can't pump out what it isn't touching. You may very well have a pick up pipe that has totally corroded off at the entry of the pipe into the holding tank, so it's not touching the effluent hence, it can't pump out. This happened to me. The solution isn't pleasant but if you can get your boat to a dock close to shore, have a porta potti company bring a truck to the dock and bring a hose down into your bilge. Remove the access panel on the top of your holding tank and have the truck pump it out. Then, replace the pump out pipe.
You'll need a very strong, industrial face mask and filters.
This may not be your issue, but it was mine and I took the opportunity to replace my entire septic system, including holding tank. At least now, I know where I am and what the base line is for future issues.
It also might be something as simple as a clogged vent line or a weak pump out system at this marina.
Good luck.

If you are going to get a new head, look at Raritan Marine Elegance. Great head and your wife will likely love it.

Most likely, your pick up pipe from the holding tank to the pump out is metal. The chemicals in the holding tank erode the bottom of the metal pipe so it can't pump out what it isn't touching.

A good guess that a metal pickup tube may have corroded through, but it's URINE, not tank chemicals, that eats through metal tanks and fittings and will turn any metal holding tank--even 316 stainless--into a colander.

--Peggie

holding tank

Most likely, your pick up pipe from the holding tank to the pump out is metal. The chemicals in the holding tank erode the bottom of the metal pipe so it can't pump out what it isn't touching.

A good guess that a metal pickup tube may have corroded through, but it's URINE, not tank chemicals, that eats through metal tanks and fittings and will turn any metal holding tank--even 316 stainless--into a colander.

--Peggie

Yes, I agree. That is the chemical composition I was talking about.

All, I thought I had updated this post..It turned out I have been fighting a marina issue this whole time. Due to storms none of the other marinas close by had working pumpouts. I was being told by our marina it was an issue with our boat...well not the truth.. When I went to another marina with a working pumpout it took a wooping 5 mins and the tank was empty.

Words of advice... trust but verify... I could have had this fixed months ago but was trusting that the marina was telling me the truth on their pumpout system..
again thanks to all for the advice
Mike and the Admiral Karen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom