head lock out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters
Volume: 2
Date: 2001-07-01
Original Date: 2001-07-01
Title: Section 159.7 - Requirements for vessel operators.
Context: Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters. CHAPTER I - COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED). SUBCHAPTER O - POLLUTION. PART 159 - MARINE SANITATION DEVICES. Subpart A - General.
§ 159.7Requirements for vessel operators.
(a) No person may operate any vessel equipped with installed toilet facilities unless it is equipped with:
(1) An operable Type II or III device that has a label on it under § 159.16 or that is certified under § 159.12 or § 159.12a; or
(2) An operable Type I device that has a label on it under § 159.16 or that is certified under § 159.12, if the vessel is 19.7 meters (65 feet) or less in length.
(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—
(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the closed position; or
(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock or door handle key lock.
(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3, the operator must secure each Type III device in a manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—
(1) Closing each valve leading to an overboard discharge and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position; or
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position.
[CGH 95-028, 62 FR 51194, Sept. 30, 1997]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a Y valve. Black water goes directly into the holding tank. The tank can be emptied by pump-out or by a macerator when in legal waters.

The macerator is run by a key activated switch, and only I know where the key is hidden. I believe this meets the requirements above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a Y valve. Black water goes directly into the holding tank. The tank can be emptied by pump-out or by a macerator when in legal waters.

The macerator is run by a key activated switch, and only I know where the key is hidden. I believe this meets the requirements above.
Pretty sure the key meets generic requirements...like USCG coastal....

but some requirements like those mentioned earlier about the Great Lakes and as I mentioned in another post, I have heard of other localities that have tougher requirements.

Clemson University ....

A fecal coliform test is used to determine whether water has been contaminated with fecal matter. The presence of fecal coliform indicates the possible presence of organisms that can cause illness. The test can be performed relatively quickly and easily. The EPA has set acceptable limits for fecal coliform in water based upon the use of the water. For example, drinking water cannot contain any fecal coliform but water for swimming may contain up to 400 fecal coliform colonies/ 100 ml.

What is fecal coliform? Why is it important? : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

The Raritan Electroscan returns water at less than 0-20 coliform /100 ml

About 1/20 the the swimming maximum standard.

Clemson University ....

A fecal coliform test is used to determine whether water has been contaminated with fecal matter. The presence of fecal coliform indicates the possible presence of organisms that can cause illness. The test can be performed relatively quickly and easily. The EPA has set acceptable limits for fecal coliform in water based upon the use of the water. For example, drinking water cannot contain any fecal coliform but water for swimming may contain up to 400 fecal coliform colonies/ 100 ml.

What is fecal coliform? Why is it important? : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

The Raritan Electroscan returns water at less than 0-20 coliform /100 ml

About 1/20 the the swimming maximum standard.

You can't believe anything that comes out of Clemson University. :lol:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 110
Reading this thread made me decide to add a keyed switch in addition to the breaker switch that currently starts my macerator pumpin. My macerator is on a 20 amp breaker and the spec says it draws 16 amps so I figure I need a key switch rated at 20 amps but am having a heck of a time finding a 2 position key switch that I can flush mount in my panel rated at 20 amps.

Any tips?

MY simple solution is a Y ( a Y not a Y valve) just under the deck fitting.

Tank drain on one side , maceriator on the other.

By removing the on deck flush cap the macerator can not suck the goo.

No big deal, falling in a 1 1/2 hole , and its ready for use whenever the poop pump boat is handy.

No smell.

When the maceriator dies again , I will get rid of the Y and just keep a manual 1 1/2 inch Edson aboard , emergency bilge pump, emergency poop pump.

The ball style connections are about $10. at Tractor supply , switching from bilge to poop should be almost instant.

Last edited:
Reading this thread made me decide to add a keyed switch in addition to the breaker switch that currently starts my macerator pumpin. My macerator is on a 20 amp breaker and the spec says it draws 16 amps so I figure I need a key switch rated at 20 amps but am having a heck of a time finding a 2 position key switch that I can flush mount in my panel rated at 20 amps.

Any tips?

You can install a 20 amp relay. Use the key switch to engage the relay and use a normally open contact on the relay to run to the breaker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom