Geez...
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Kevin, some places we travel are only fifty feet wide or have slight turns that come up pretty quick even at my 6.3 knots.

I have no issue leaving the helm... but some places even on autopilot need adjustments every 10 to 15 seconds or so...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #43
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Depends...
Depends are for Astronauts.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #44
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Kevin, some places we travel are only fifty feet wide or have slight turns that come up pretty quick even at my 6.3 knots.

I have no issue leaving the helm... but some places even on autopilot need adjustments every 10 to 15 seconds or so...
How true that is. Negotiating the ICW between Miami and Palm Beach at trawler speeds, it's more likely one would pee oneself involuntarily than by any plan or intention! Just too many things to react to. I'm sure this type of thing is a far cry from what Kevin sees up North, but if you want to stay inside, a big bladder is an asset.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #45
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

The very definition of luxury!

People have lunch hooks, why not a poop hook??? We could wire up a system where you just press a big red 'oh, shit' button on the dash, which automatically puts the engines in neutral, drops the poop hook, raises a toilet seat dayshape into the rigging, starts sounding regular fog signals, and fires up the head ventilation fan. We could make millions Jerry, MILLIONS!

When I'm at work, I'm stuck up in the pilothouse for 6 hours at a clip. There are no facilities. I'm about 90 feet in the air, so escaping to the head for any amount of time would make me pretty grossly negligent. Number twos are pretty much out of the question. We have a bucket for emergencies. Seriously. Number ones on the other hand, are a real delight. I check the relative wind, do a cursory scan for anyone that may be working on deck below me, and let slip the dogs of war. I like to call it the 'sky piss.' It's pretty refreshing, until winter sets in.

What kind of ship are you on? Are you a captain?

Reason I ask is I met two giant tankers on the ICW around Port Arthur and tried to get them on the radio to find out where I should go, but got no answer. Think I was on 16.

What's the protocol? I finally got one of the tug captains to answer.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #46
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Cardude wrote: "I met two giant tankers on the ICW around Port Arthur and tried to get them on the radio to find out where I should go, but got no answer. Think I was on 16.

What's the protocol? I finally got one of the tug captains to answer
."

Workboats in confined waters generally maintain their principal radio watch on Channel 13. That's the best channel on which to hail a commercial vessel to negotiate passing. Everyone should monitor 16 as well, but in busy ports or waterways, that channel is so often cluttered with random traffic that watchstanders turn the volume way down, if they even leave it on.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #47
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I find that the big boys are listening to CH 16 just fine....

My guess, like me when operating commercial with lots going on...to just ignore the little recreational guys as they will get out of the way as they probably should....unless they are obviously in a situation where answering would make a difference.

It is more about tasking than being rude or unprofessional...just there's sometimes a lot going on that we as recreational boaters don't understand about the workings of a bridge on ships in tight spaces.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #48
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
What kind of ship are you on? Are you a captain?

Reason I ask is I met two giant tankers on the ICW around Port Arthur and tried to get them on the radio to find out where I should go, but got no answer. Think I was on 16.

What's the protocol? I finally got one of the tug captains to answer.

This is the rig I'm on now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440284032.287075.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	43441

I'm currently sailing as first mate. I just got my unlimited tonnage master's license a few months ago. I've been practicing ship handling and waiting for an opening to move up.

I always monitor 16. I usually monitor 13, but it rarely gets used here on the lakes. I will almost always answer a call from pleasure boats, but it is a one man pilothouse, so on occasion I'm pretty busy up there. Some mates and captains won't bother answering the radio if it's 'just a small boat.' I don't agree with that logic, but it happens.

One thing to consider, if a commercial vessel is in a vessel traffic system, they'll be monitoring whatever channel that is, and sometimes won't be listening to 16 or 13. VTS channels around here are 11 and 12. Some places use 14, I think. I would try that first if you're in a VTS area. It's also a handy way to know where the big fellas are, if you don't have AIS.

As far as understanding a ship's intentions, it's a pretty safe bet that unless they're passing another ship, the captain will be nagging the mate to stay in the center of the channel.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Dave, as a "little guy," my practice is to stay out of the way and move early enough that you'll know it. If concerned, blow your horn!