Having a dog on board questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of great comments here about dogs on board, dogs in general, considerations when cruising with dogs. One question I have for the OP is whether s/he has much experience raising/training dogs in general as it's not clear. For me, the answer to whether cruising with a dog (or dogs) is a good idea depends in no small part on prior dog ownership/experience. We have always had dogs, currently cruise with three of them (small, medium, and large; young, old, and mid-age, not in that order). We've fostered dogs, we also have cats, horses (not on the boat!), etc. We're the crazy people with lots of animals and, in part, we boat because it's easier to boat with our dogs than to travel with them by other means (except the little dog, he literally flies everywhere with us). Dogs are work. Not just a little work from time to time, but lots of work - feeding, cleaning, planning around where/when they will relieve themselves (if they won't on the boat), etc. I'm not complaining, it's a choice we make consciously and wouldn't do it otherwise. But the point is that it is a conscious decision knowing what it entails. Best of luck, either way!

Dogs for the boat

Second for the standard poodle! We have five on a 30 ft mainship pilot. Claen and smart - no shedding -teach 'em to go on the swim platform. Sure footed on the non skid Good swimmers. 45 lbs so pulling them up on the swim deck is easy. Generally well mannered with strangers unless they sense the admiral does not approve - then look out! Unwelcomed strangers will get chased off or into the water.

Ours get comfortable in any conditions & will sleep in the captains chair if I don't get there first!

And lastly, they are clowns - never a dull moment!:dance:

My concern is much of the shoreline in British Columbia is tough to access…not beaches.
I still am seriously considering one though!

We have a black lab on board. 8 years old and needs her exercise but not terribly athletic to be fair. Trained to use the fake stuff on the pad up on the bow but we do need to get her to shore 2-3 times a day. And you are correct...desolation was tough. There are large areas where the entire shoreline of a decent sized bay is all private. And if it's not private it's difficult to get the dog to shore due to the terrain. Sometimes it's a rock with a patch of moss and the dog is looking back like 'really?'. :)

Still...totally worth it.

-tozz

We boat with three miniature Aussiedoodles! Fabulous boat dogs! They sleep at our feet while underway and have even learned to climb the ladder to the flybridge. They can pick their boat out at the marina and absolutely love to go boating. Yes, harnesses with grab handles are a good idea. Training your dog to Astro turf at home and the transferring to the boat helps. We would go boating without them!

Attachments

• D790355F-3EAB-4BE3-B649-F8C08504F5EB.jpg
    D790355F-3EAB-4BE3-B649-F8C08504F5EB.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 15
have even learned to climb the ladder to the flybridge.

How did you manage that, and do you have a picture of the ladder? I'd love to get our poodle to climb the transom ladder. He's kinda figured out how ladders are supposed to work (particularly for getting out of the water) just from watching us, but he hasn't managed to actually climb one (without me doing 90% of the work).

How did you manage that, and do you have a picture of the ladder? I'd love to get our poodle to climb the transom ladder. He's kinda figured out how ladders are supposed to work (particularly for getting out of the water) just from watching us, but he hasn't managed to actually climb one (without me doing 90% of the work).[/

WOULD NOT GO BOATING WITHOUT THEM! Lol ?
Our ladder is more like a ladder stair combo. They have to jump up on outdoor refer and then up a five step ladder. The kids are quite proud of themselves. They really like to be with us so their incentive was high.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom