Have boat manufacturers gone NUTS ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you see an obese, 600 pound man, do you not come to the immediate conclusion That that man is eating way more than he needs? You don’t need specific stats to make that call, just like you don’t need specific stats to see that some people use and consume way more energy and resources than they need. People who buy or use giant power pleasure yachts and fast cars and many other things that those people buy are the equivalent of that 600 pound guy, except they use way more energy and resources than they need instead of eating too much food. I’m sure some of you would argue, predictably, that it’s his right to eat as much as he wants, and I guess when we’re talking about food and everyone else is fed, that would be a fair point. But if by eating all that excess food that man were harming everyone around him and not just himself, then there’s a problem. That’s the problem with those that use those fuel intensive boats, cars, trucks, houses, etc. Get over yourself, you are not important or deserving any more than I am.

Manufacturers of any product have to find the right combination of meeting market demand while shaping that market a bit. We have to build the relationship with customers and potential customers to exchange information and knowledge. We have to understand the subtle changes in demographics and demand. But we also have to fill niches, which may be smaller in volume.

Trawlers are a small part of a huge boating industry. It goes from megayachts which produce huge dollar volume to kayaks with large item volume.

Now, that gets us to 2008. Again. The builders are about to face a challenge to survive. They have to find the few customers who will still be out there and a way to serve them. I only know one builder that didn't have a year in which they lost money during the last recession. I do know that already builders are getting cancellations. Our builder is shocked we're not cancelling our order. Probably we should but it just feels like surrendering. I'me very worried about a lot of industries, but none will be hit harder than boats.

Greetings,
This is stupid but I'll bite... "When you see an obese, 600 pound man, do you not come to the immediate conclusion That that man is eating way more than he needs?"

NO!

1280px-Sumo-Japan.jpg

Dear folks, as this thread was clearly going to continue on downhill, we've decided to let it twerk off into the blue yonder by closing it. We're putting some of the more intemperate comments, even by some long-standing members, as a symptom of these weird circumstances we find the whole world in, and the cabin fever thus caused. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom