Hauling Cleaning Precautions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I will be hauling Budds' Outlet within the next few weeks to take her home for winter storage. This season unlike previous seasons we will have had her in the water for nearly 2 months. She has bottom paint but has had some outdrive parts replaced that were not bottom painted. Also I have an eel grass bed growing from my trim tabs.

I plan to presure wash the bottom within a couple of hours of hauling her. Are there any precautions I should take as far as the timing for dislodging marine growth. Will some things harden or will other critters lose their attachment as time out of water goes by?

Bottom paint outdrives? Is that recommended, not where I come from? Most trim tabs are bottom painted, at least those that stay in the water.

I will be hauling Budds' Outlet within the next few weeks to take her home for winter storage. This season unlike previous seasons we will have had her in the water for nearly 2 months. She has bottom paint but has had some outdrive parts replaced that were not bottom painted.

I plan to presure wash the bottom within a couple of hours of hauling her. Are there any precautions I should take as far as the timing for dislodging marine growth.
My understanding is right after hauling out before growth sets. At < 2 months in water there should not be a lot. Not had a lot to do with outdrives( underwater gearbox/drive unit leg),seen a few being chipped clean of shell etc, I`d be careful with water pressure, don`t they rely on seals to keep water out and oil in? Outdrive enthusiasts will know more.Is there a manual you can check? BruceK

.......... I plan to presure wash the bottom within a couple of hours of hauling her. Are there any precautions I should take as far as the timing for dislodging marine growth. Will some things harden or will other critters lose their attachment as time out of water goes by?

Those "critters" will harden into something resembling concrete if not removed soon after hauling. I would try to pressure wash sooner thaan two hours afte hauling if at all possible. Right away would be best.

If you have outdrives, be aware of the rubber bellows and other somewhat fragile parts when pressure washing.

As for bottom paining outdrives, putting copper based bottom paint on aluminum outdrives will ruin them pretty quickly. You're supposed to leave at least a one inch gap between the bottom paint and the outdrives.

If you want/need to paint your outdrives, make sure you use a paint that's made for the purpose. They are available.

Last edited:
If you're hauling in a yard, the yard will usually pressure wash before they block/brace, not the owner. I'd talk to the yard to see what their procedures are. You will need to at least scrape where the straps were. As Rwidman says do it while it's still wet. Get a good 4" putty knife or sheet-rock finishing knife.

Is it illegal to use bleach on a hull after a haul out?

I pulled the dingy and took it home. It had been in the water all summer. Lots of little greeny's growing on it.

A spray bottle of bleach and water 50% and everything came off with a hose.

It looked like new.

SD

I painted the bottom of my aluminum skiff w anti-foul. Took over 10 coats of fairly expensive paint and LOTS of time. I'm the only one here in Thorne Bay w a skiff coated w antifoul and after I got the job done I could see why. Alaskans tend to not use fenders and other fussy stuff either but if I was going to leave an OD in the water I'd still do it. Part of the downside to having an OD. Hard item to sand properly too. But it must be done. Or just blast it w the pressure wash frequently but if any water gets inside the OD you may have a whole new concept of the word trouble. Or your boat will leak. Or both. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great advice. Based on your advice I think i am going to keep the pressure washer away from the OD. I expect I will have to take out my metal putty knife for use on the trim tabs. I'll plan on having the pressure washer ready to go when I haul the boat and trailer it home. It will be out of the water less than an hour before I get it home to the pressure washer.

These are issues I did not have to deal with for the seven seasons we trailered the boat. Only being in the water on 3-day weekends and one 10-12 day cruise per year didn't allow much marine growth.

No idea if it is possible but can you blast it off immediately it comes up? I`m thinking near an hour of wind at 30-50 mph blowing over the hull during the tow home will accelerate drying of the crud. Also that brief period of clean and wet gives you a good look at hull lumps and bumps,though that`s mostly for those watching for osmosis. BruceK

Blow it off at the Marina if you can, It will take alot less work then, Check the tabs they should have been bottom painted , The outdrives use a special paint and its OK my o/d boats i would keep them in year around but remove every 3 months to clean the bottom and inspect the billows and other rubber parts of the O/D. once a year i would change the oil in the O/d units and check the seals along with the gimball bearing and seal and spray a treatment on the rubber, Take a tooth brush and clean all the folds of the Billows and shift boot. thats the most common leak on an O/D is the billows or shift boot. Some people remove the O/D and service them then store them inside for the winter, there are covers for the Gimball housing that keeps it clean and free of critters during the winter. Dont forget drain drain drain the engine and the water lines and holding tanks pumps and other items.

Back
Top Bottom