Hatteras 48' and 58' L.R.C.'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatteras53

I previously owned a Hatteras 53' M.Y. Presently have a 44' Nauticat Motor Sailor that has been extensively refitted. Using it in the Chesapeake Bay but sometimes dream of crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean. Have always admired the 48/58 L.R.C.'s. I notice that there are many more 58's for sale than 48's and the price spread is not that much. People ask 250 for a 48 and only 300/325 for a 58. Having owned a 53', I am not intimidated by the size of a 58. Which is better for offshore work. Run at the right speed, either one can cross the oceans. Is it the 32 volt system on the 58. I have never been on a 58 and the 48 I was on seemed a bit tiny. Also, there was no space in the engine room. They both have the same engines other than some 58 have the 671's which seems not too important. I would love to go onto a 58. I hope that some folks will give me some insights. Maybe the 58 is a dog ? In that case, the 48 seems way overpriced to me. The 53 Hatteras engines just killed me on fuel and maintenance so that is not an option. Maybe the 58 is too much boat with the painting/leaks/limited slip availability ? My 44' Nauticat burns 3 gallons at 8 knots so who knows what is best. Looking for HONEST comments from knowledgeable shipmates. Michael 410-913-2330

Welcome!

Only you can decide what's too small for you, and asking prices are negotiable, frequently starting higher than they should. I'm biased, but those boats have great reputations, usually deserved, but that's only one consideration among many others in determining a boat's value. Take a fresh look at both models to see which meets your requirements and then focus the search to determine what you think is a fair price.

Good luck in your search!

Hatteras yachts and their LRCs have a great reputation, a strong market following and therefore strong resale value.

Are they 32V or 24V? Has anyone here known anyone to cross an ocean in a Hatteras LRC? Ironically, today, no Hatteras has the range except the 105 does if you run it at 600 RPM and 7.5 knots.

You’ll get a lot of very knowledgeable input on the Hatteras Owners Forum, www.samsmarine.com.

Are they 32V or 24V? Has anyone here known anyone to cross an ocean in a Hatteras LRC? Ironically, today, no Hatteras has the range except the 105 does if you run it at 600 RPM and 7.5 knots.

I've been in a 58 that had 24V, 32V and 48V and a 65 that had 12V and 32V. They had all of the volts ;)

Don't know about the 48s but the 58/65 carry 2200/2700 gallons and run either 4-71s or 6-71s. They are often described as live-aboards with trans-Atlantic range and I understand from another site or two it's been done but often eitger hearsay or second-hand reports. Of course, given most were launched in the 1970s and Hatteras is basically out of the LRC business they don't enjoy the marketing proof points of Nordhavn, Selene or other proven passagemakers.

I would however imagine a Pacific crossing would be another matter entirely.

As we consider upgrading the 58 and 65 LRCs are high on our list. Walk-in, standup engine room, rear master, three or four staterooms forward, etc.

Can you tell I'm an admirer?

A couple of months ago I looked at a 58 LRC in Vancouver. The 58 is quite imposing from the outside. Total LOA is around 63-65'. The walk-in engine room is wonderful - roomy, full headroom for 6'4". All equipment is easy to access. The small main engines are almost lost in there. The rest of the interior is not as spacious as one would expect partially due to the walk-around side decks. They are bullet proof but at 45 years of age it is all about condition and the previous owners upkeep.

Last edited:
If you go over to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a member with the screen name "Skooch"who has a home port at Whorton's Creek; Dave Stahl is a heckuva a nice guy.
300k is cheap for a 58, they are typically in the 400's when in good condition.

I've been on multiples of all flavors of LRC, including two of the rare 65. The 58 is the best all around LRC, the 42 is my favorite but not an oceanic passage maker. At least one 58 has circumnavigated. For our personal purposes, which did not entail ocean crossings, we liked the layout of the 56MY was much better, again for US.

I was doing a bit of research on the 48's range. I found a site that had a good article on the 48 including range info. Interestingly enough the guy tested it on a single screw with one prop removed. His numbers came up with 3500nm range at 6.9nt. That got me thinking about automatic feathering props. Max props states you would loose 4% efficiency over a STD prop.

See link below.

https://www.hatteraslrc.com/Fleet/fleet1.htm

I was on a tour of a Hatt 60ish in Pittsburg at an early TF Rendezvous that had 24V, 32V and 48V. It was a huge leap up from my humble 12V/Propane boat. My head was swirling, trying to take it all in...kinda like drinking from a firehose. What impressed me the most was the dining room table with 6 chairs!

A few years later, I enjoyed the company of a Hatt 60 stuck on my bow like a pickle on a fork during the Blue Angels show at Fleet Week in SFO. It was an 'interesting' encounter, to say the least.

TF member Scary had a Hatt 48 that was a great, seaworthy vessel. We enjoyed many CA Delta anchorages, stories, beers, dink rides (and a grounding). I loved the flow of that boat. As the song goes, "It has everything I want...and nothing that I don't."

So, in a way, I guess I've enjoyed a couple varied perspectives on the Hatt 48-60s in my relatively brief trawler life. I've loved many of the minutes...except for the pickle.

Last edited:
If you go over to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a member with the screen name "Skooch"who has a home port at Whorton's Creek; Dave Stahl is a heckuva a nice guy.
300k is cheap for a 58, they are typically in the 400's when in good condition.

I've been on multiples of all flavors of LRC, including two of the rare 65. The 58 is the best all around LRC, the 42 is my favorite but not an oceanic passage maker. At least one 58 has circumnavigated. For our personal purposes, which did not entail ocean crossings, we liked the layout of the 56MY was much better, again for US.

We had Hatts on both sides of us under the covered shed at Worton last year. One was a 53 (visible in my avatar), which was being lovingly restored but may have left by now for South Carolina. The other, I believe, was a 58 that needed cosmetic attention (at a minimum).

Last edited:
Maybe the 58 is too much boat with the painting/leaks/limited slip availability ? My 44' Nauticat burns 3 gallons at 8 knots so who knows what is best. Looking for HONEST comments from knowledgeable shipmates. Michael 410-913-2330

Welcome!

I have always been a Hatteras fan, since working for a dealer and crewing on a 70. The LRCs have been favorites of mine, though I have not had the chance to get to intimately know or run them. I have fantasized about a cherry 48 or 58, but the age of the systems (40 years), windows, and paint all scare me. We don’t entertain enough for a 58, but it’s my favorite. I suspect most of these classics have great bones, but you could be into some substantial capital for a refit to make one worthy of an ocean crossing. Perhaps if used as a coastal cruiser you could spread out the projects and costs. I shudder to think about the cost to paint a 58, rebuild older stabilizers, or to replace hoses on four heads.

There was a big thread on this forum about a 48 LRC refit, if I recall correctly.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
I was on a tour of a Hatt 60ish in Pittsburg at an early TF Rendezvous that had 24V, 32V and 48V. It was a huge leap up from my humble 12V/Propane boat. My head was swirling, trying to take it all in...kinda like drinking from a firehose. What impressed me the most was the dining room table with 6 chairs!

A few years later, I enjoyed the company of a Hatt 60 stuck on my bow like a pickle on a fork during the Blue Angels show at Fleet Week in SFO. It was an 'interesting' encounter, to say the least.

TF member Scary had a Hatt 48 that was a great, seaworthy vessel. We enjoyed many CA Delta anchorages, stories, beers, dink rides (and a grounding). I loved the flow of that boat. As the song goes, "It has everything I want...and nothing that I don't."

So, in a way, I guess I've enjoyed a couple varied perspectives on the Hatt 48-60s in my relatively brief trawler life. I've loved many of the minutes...except for the pickle.

Funny story, Steve bought his 48 LRC because I turned him on to the Hatteras LRC’s after falling in love with them. His former boat was a Bayliner 4788 and he wanted something with more offshore capability.

He bought the only decent shape 48 LRC on the west coast, about a year before I was ready to move up in size. I drooled over his boat but needed a bit more time and he was ready willing and able.

I still love the 48 LRC’s and could come within spitting distance of trading my boat for one, but with all the time and energy I put into my 4788 I just do not want to go through it again, not for my coastal cruising plans.

Great boats they are!!! I think they could do a pacific crossing, or come close. Perhaps there might be the need to have a fuel bladder.

The Hatteras LRC’s were cruising the worlds oceans before Nordhavn was even a dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the 32 volt system on the 58.

They both have the same engines other than some 58 have the 671's which seems not too important. I would love to go onto a 58. I hope that some folks will give me some insights. Maybe the 58 is a dog ? ... The 53 Hatteras engines just killed me on fuel and maintenance so that is not an option.

I just read elsewhere that Hatteras changed from 32V systems in either 1987 or after 1987, one of those.

What were your 53 engines... that made them potentially more expensive than the engines in 58s? Can't imagine it being less expensive to run a 58 compared to a 53... aside from operator technique (hull speed or below versus semi-planing).

-Chris

The 53 usually came with 8v71s though IIRC some later versions had 6v92's. They're more costly because they are designed to get the boat up on plane and cruise in the teens. Not so costly if you run hull speed or less, which is what I'd say the majority of owners do.

Funny story, Steve bought his 48 LRC because I turned him on to the Hatteras LRC’s after falling in love with them. His former boat was a Bayliner 4788 and he wanted something with more offshore capability.

He bought the only decent shape 48 LRC on the west coast, about a year before I was ready to move up in size. I drooled over his boat but needed a bit more time and he was ready willing and able.

I still love the 48 LRC’s and could come within spitting distance of trading my boat for one, but with all the time and energy I put into my 4788 I just do not want to go through it again, not for my coastal cruising plans.

Great boats they are!!! I think they could do a pacific crossing, or come close. Perhaps there might be the need to have a fuel bladder.

The Hatteras LRC’s were cruising the worlds oceans before Nordhavn was even a dream.

Steve sold that Hatt 48 LRC last year. I was operating in the SF Bay when the new owner was moving west in the Bay toward Sausalito to stage for a weather window to go out the Golden Gate. I saw him on the AIS and hailed him. We had a brief radio exchange and he was so excited to have that boat.

Sadly, due to personal circumstances, cruising that LRC far and wide was a dashed dream for Steve. Aside from the trip down the coast after purchase, she remained in the Bay and Delta where he and his family thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was great to see the dream fulfillment for the new owner begin.

A friend of mine had a 48 LRC. Probably one of the biggest 48s around in terms interior space and looking massive at the dock for its size. It had Detroit 453s and was a great cruising platform for him. I would have bought one of these if our orientation wasn't fishing in Alaska. Our Hatt convertible is a better choice for that but I run it like a trawler, at displacement speeds.

All these boats are getting quite old these days and the 58 LRC is a significant jump up in size from the 48. We looked at a couple of 58 LRCs before buying our motoryacht and I don’t recall them being any more roomy than our comparison boats. They also all had soft decks in one place or another and most systems were worn out or very close to being so. Since so few were made and survive today, there is not much choice out there except tired out boats and very expensive/overpriced Bristol condition boats that are not often available on YachtWorld.

Unless you absolutely must cross oceans on your own bottom, I’d look at motor yachts in your size and price range: there are far more to choose from in all sorts of condition for much less money than the Bluewater power cruisers. You can ship most any boat most anywhere for $30k to $40k, compare that to the expense and wear and tear of running there on your own bottom. Not mention the added acquisition cost.......

The 53 usually came with 8v71s though IIRC some later versions had 6v92's. They're more costly because they are designed to get the boat up on plane and cruise in the teens. Not so costly if you run hull speed or less, which is what I'd say the majority of owners do.

Both of those engines will cost significantly more than 4-53’s to take care of. Probably two to three times as much oil and coolant to be replaced on a regular basis, turbos which will require rebuilding periodically, etc.

Just remember that on a yearly basis, fuel is not your biggest bill. If you actually use your boat....... we live aboard with no discounted yearly rate at a marina since we travel and dockage is more per year than fuel. As they say though: your mileage may vary.

Steve sold that Hatt 48 LRC last year. I was operating in the SF Bay when the new owner was moving west in the Bay toward Sausalito to stage for a weather window to go out the Golden Gate. I saw him on the AIS and hailed him. We had a brief radio exchange and he was so excited to have that boat.

Sadly, due to personal circumstances, cruising that LRC far and wide was a dashed dream for Steve. Aside from the trip down the coast after purchase, she remained in the Bay and Delta where he and his family thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was great to see the dream fulfillment for the new owner begin.

Yes when he put it up for sale at what $169 I called him and really thought hard about buying it. They are great boats, and yes I felt for him and his dreams.

Problem is switching boats is a royal PITA and always very expensive. Sometimes it’s just easier to keep what you have. The 4788 while a very good boat will never be in the long range category as the old LRC’s. Those were passagemakers before passagemaking was popular with the motor cruising crowd, and represent a great way to get into the game at a very reasonable cost.

This one came in yesterday. I think it’s a 53 motor yacht?

Attachments

• BCB30460-1EA1-4A7A-B255-F68503EE0736.jpg
    BCB30460-1EA1-4A7A-B255-F68503EE0736.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 94
Yep !

That is a 53' Hatteras.

Guess the 48' L.R.C. would be better for us if we sell out 44' Nauticat.

People don't seem to want the 58' cause there are always so many for sale.

Having owned a 53', it sure was a nice boat.

But all the work on the engines was a real killer.

That's why we thought about the 58.

Think the 48 would be fine.

Just can't seem to find any around this area (Maryland) to inspect.

And of course all the Nordhvan 46' are way too expensive.

Don't think they are any better either.

Back to you my fellow shipmates for more thoughts and advice.

Michael

People don't seem to want the 58' cause there are always so many for sale.

That certainly has not been the case over the past 12 years or so that I have followed the market.

Woodland Hills makes some great points in Post #20, which parallel our buying experience (though there were some very nice condition 58's and two 65's on the market at premium prices. That premium for the LRC's eats up a lot of the costs he outlines in post #21 , and that aside if those differentials make that big difference to you, you are in the wrong hobby to begin with. Like him, we didn't cotton much to the 58LRC's layout compared to the motoryachts of similar size, for our specific purposes at least.

One thing you will note about the vintage Hatts is the commonality of so many components across all the different models. One reason why replacement parts are still pretty easy to get, thanks to the greatness of Sam's Marine.

Hatteras quality build especially in 70s. Solid. Suggest be sure 2 accurate depth Gs are working as your running gear will bottom. Good luck!

Hatteras quality build especially in 70s. Solid. Suggest be sure 2 accurate depth Gs are working as your running gear will bottom. Good luck!

Not as frequently as you may think; they have keels that extend below the props. I sanded the bottom 6" of my keel while underway once (as pointed out by a diver we had doing a cleaning and zinc servicing), with no adverse effect on the props or rudders. I did like having a depth sounder on each side of the keel though.

Having owned a 53', it sure was a nice boat.

But all the work on the engines was a real killer.

That's why we thought about the 58.

Think the 48 would be fine.

Is there really any significant difference in working on 58/53/48 engines, whichever they are?

Are you talking about access issues on the 53? If so, wouldn't it maybe be worse on a 48?

-Chris

The difference is that the LRCs have normally aspirated 4 or 6 cylinder engines and the motor yachts have turbo inter cooled 6 and 8 cylinder engines, usually in a Vee configuration. Even though they are all Detroit Diesels they are very different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom