Has the cost of fuel slowed you down? (Non-political)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think fuel prices have slowed me down this year. We stayed local in NJ put a whopping 35 hours on the mains and 5 on the genny. Burned 85gallons. Filled up with off road diesel at $4.55. With over 400gallons aboard we could do it every year for the next 4 and not buy fuel. But, and this is the big one I miss cruising, setting off in the boat for a month maybe going a 1000 miles or so. Currently I see diesel at the gas station for over 2 bucks a gallon more than gas. It makes me sick--It is not the money but the principal how could things go down hill so fast. Anyway Rant over.

Well this could put a new perspective on the perennial gas/diesel debate for boats:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...pply-and-surging-demand-are-a-worry-for-biden

As diesel climbs past $5 and toward $6 (or more) here in the heart of ag country, I'm beginning to like my gas engines more and more. But then maybe that's temporary too and I should be shopping for a sailboat -- even if they are caves in the water. No, not there yet. I love to be one with nature but crashing to the sole and whacking my head on a keel-stepped mast after I slip on wet companionway stairs is not my idea of fun.

On the water here diesel is cheaper than gas.

On the water here diesel is cheaper than gas.

Interesting. Diesel has been anywhere from 10 cents cheaper to 50 cents more than gas at fuel docks around here (varies between fuel docks). It's just a hair more for diesel than ethanol free gas on land as well.

We filled up at the end of 2021 season for $5 per gallon. This year during our summer cruises diesel averaged about $5.60 per. So about 10% more than last year.

I don't care if its $10/gal. If we want to go somewhere, we're going.

Well, that's kind of why I posted that link though, and I don't think this has been part of this discussion previously. Cost is one thing and of course we each have different capacities to absorb higher cost, even if the TF membership might have a higher capacity than average, in general. I just hope we don't get to a point where fuel is simply not available, like some of the other commodity shortages of the past couple years. Chasing all over town for bathroom tissue is one thing, lots of alternatives there. Fueling the boat is a different story, and if we hit a serious national shortage, I would expect recreational boats would be a very low priority for distribution of a limited supply. But then we can worry about all kinds of things I suppose and the next thing you know I'm stockpiling freeze dried survival food in the basement.

I just hope we don't get to a point where fuel is simply not available, like some of the other commodity shortages of the past couple years. Chasing all over town for bathroom tissue is one thing, lots of alternatives there. Fueling the boat is a different story, and if we hit a serious national shortage, I would expect recreational boats would be a very low priority for distribution of a limited supply.

Folks have likely seen the news over the past few days that says the US supply of diesel is about 25 days worth. Which is apparently quite low. I don't know what "normal" is.

Back
Top Bottom