Has Anyone Seen this One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow-what a deal, how could anything go wrong with this? Live Free! Just a little paint and, oh yeah, a little shaft alignment, some engine work on the 671 that hasn't started in months and has 22,000 hours, a new generator. I am surpised he even had to list it to sell it!

Last edited:
Alway wanted my own navy.
What a great project boat for someone,
I've seen a lot worse for sale for a lot more.

If this thing also needs zincs forget it.

Alway wanted my own navy.
What a great project boat for someone,
I've seen a lot worse for sale for a lot more.
If that boat was on the west coast...I'd buy it! I looked for an Admiral's barge for years with no luck. What a neat boat and a piece of history.:thumb:

(Edit) What am I saying! I need another boat like a hole in the head!

If that's really a 22,000 hour Detroit, it must have been steam-cleaned for that photo.

It doesn't look trashed. If the pictures and descriptions are at all accurate and some what recent, it would be a cool boat to own.

If the photos are at all representative of actual condition this really is not a bad deal IMO. It is what it is and ain't what it ain't. A cheap boat that looks pretty damn good from 20-40' away.

I'd bet that for less than $10k wisely spent this would make a darn comfortable boat to live on the anchor. Yacht it is not.

As far as the price goes, I also think it is quite reasonable on the surface. As far as the "live for free" mooring goes, clearly he doesn't own it as the value of the mooring is not included in the sale. It's also highly unlikely he put it in himself. My guess is it was put there for all to use & enjoy, not for a specific individuals benefit to the exclusion of all others. Perhaps a free town mooring with no enforced time restrictions? If such is the case, and I acknowledge it may not be, it is an insight into the character of the seller and if I were considering this boat I would move very cautiously. Passing along or selling something that doesn't belong to you isn't exactly ethical. My first question would be how the mooring just happens to be free, if it's legit I would most definitely take a hard look at this boat, if it's not, I'd run and not look back.

I'm guessing a cash buyer with even mediocre negotiating skills could knock of about 20-25% of the asking price. Thus for 12-14K a guy could be living off the grid pretty cheaply. Wouldn't have to ever move under its own power, just a floating home. Not really my cup of tea but a divorced guy or starving student could make it work out about perfect!

I like it.

Wonder what hull is made of. I know around that vintage they were experimenting with different composites, but had yet to settle on fiberglass and polyester. They tried all sorts of stuff.

When I first got out of school I was working in a shipyard in Charleston, SC. They dropped one of these from like 20' above the concrete pier. It just bounced. I looked at it and could see no damage other than minor rash. That one was FG. Tough boat.

Last edited:
Some early resin/composite brews had to bake in an autoclave. Hot molding. As chemisty improved you could do it over wood at room temp. Cold molding. At least I think that is where the cold mold term derived.

I once came very close to buying a 1940's ex Canadian Navy Yard Auxiliary Gate (YAG) that has been converted very nicely into a yacht.

YAG training vessels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was listed at $38,000. I low balled an offer at $11,000. The owner was out of the country and we never heard back from him, so we bought a 60' steel hulled house boat. After our house boat offer was accepted, the YAG owner returned from his trip and accepted our $11k offer, but too, late for us.

I would have loved living aboard a classic navy vessel!

We lived on that house boat for a few years on the Fraser River in Richmond, BC until kids started popping out of my wife... then we moved ashore.

I like it, I would redo the whole salon again as it just looks thrown together but otherwise a great ICW/Bahamas cruiser. Imagine showing up in Boston or New York during Fleet Week.

Back
Top Bottom