Has anyone ever covered a supply boat for trawler use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
I was at the yard the other day and found a 70's yr. model 105' supply boat. It has steel hull with some large DD's. It looks like a ton of work but it's stout, draws about 8' I think. Just kind a toying with the idea for now but it would make a great fishing (mothership) and a great platform to shoot down to the keys.
Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. s. Hahahahahahahahaha........I love it!

giphy.gif

An 8' draft is going to be VERY inconvenient in the Keys! Sure, you can get around, but you are going to have to strictly limit yourself to the channels, and there will be a LOT of marinas that you cannot get into. Same would be true along the entire west coast of Florida, and in the Bahamas.

serious question..

Why would anyone want a hundred foot, seven foot draft, fifty year old boat?

pete

The steel hull is strong, the length will help with the speed and accommodations and the age is actually indicative of better materials used during the original build. Believe it or not 100’ is only 35’ longer than my current boat. When we make a good trip I’ll have 9 people on it and it gets tight. I cruse now at 6-8 mph and this thing cruises at 11 knots. Plus when I’m done I could always sell it to a charter boat captain

Many converted supply boats in this size range are in service in the PNW as whale watching and party boats. Triple 2-cycle Detroits is typical for power. I haven't seen any in private service, though.

This is what you start with to build a support boat for your 400’ yacht. A place for extra supplies, fuel, sport fishing boats, spares and service staff. Although 108’ is a little small......

The steel hull is strong, the length will help with the speed and accommodations and the age is actually indicative of better materials used during the original build. Believe it or not 100’ is only 35’ longer than my current boat. When we make a good trip I’ll have 9 people on it and it gets tight. I cruse now at 6-8 mph and this thing cruises at 11 knots. Plus when I’m done I could always sell it to a charter boat captain

It's a terrific plan and do-able except for the 8' of draft. That tends to close-off a lot of places you might want to go in the Keys and Bahamas.

I knew a family who converted their 1955-vintage, 65' party fishing boat into an expedition yacht that could comfortably sleep big groups of friends and relatives. Kept the original Detroits and just enhanced the accommodations. Similar idea as Swampu's. They used it to spend part of each winter fishing in the Bahamas around Walker's Cay, and never seemed to lack for friends who wanted to join the party.

I knew a family who converted their 1955-vintage, 65' party fishing boat into an expedition yacht that could comfortably sleep big groups of friends and relatives. Kept the original Detroits and just enhanced the accommodations. Similar idea as Swampu's. They used it to spend part of each winter fishing in the Bahamas around Walker's Cay, and never seemed to lack for friends who wanted to join the party.

In fact that former party boat conversion, a solid wooden hull with broad deck overhangs and propelled by two 6-71s, reminded me a lot of Swampu's beautiful Cajun Rose.

Mine is a converted 50foot prawn trawler. Be mindful that commercial vessels are great to take out and just go. A total nightmare though if you want to be ducking into marinas every night or moving around in tight quarters. Equipment and fitout is also designed to work: often grossly over engineered and simple to repair but with little priority to noise or vibration.

Perhaps have a good look at which existing systems you would want domestic grade rather than industrial and the amount of work/money to achieve this.

Sounds like it could be an interesting project, OP, assuming that you’re knowledgeable and have sufficient funds plus contingency.

You may wish to consider repowering those huge engines down to something more reasonable sized fo your desired speed range. Where do you plan to spend 90% of your time - at 9 knots or at 11+ knots?

Sounds like a Gulf Utility boat rather than a supply boat?... Many old Graham built and others. Well built. I saw one in North Carolina converted to a private cruising boat. They extended the house to add some on deck interior spaces. It was sharp and had a couple of good size tenders. Many of those boats had DD 8V71's on the smaller sizes and 12V71's on the larger ,110' size models.

I wish I would have taken some pictures but I wasn’t really considering it till I got home. Right now someone else owns the boat, the yard is about to put a lien on it and if they get it they want $110k for it, everything is supposed to work on it. I don’t know about the draft but I do know it has a stand up engine room with tons of bilge room,

Greetings,
Mr. s. I hope you didn't take my post (#2) the wrong way. I've followed your progress with and transformation of Cajun Rose with interest AND a touch of envy. Ah, to be young and energetic.

You're a busy man and can't sit still. It doesn't surprise me, in the least that you're thinking of up-sizing. The humour, from MY perspective is "Why the hell not?" You've worked wonders with the Rose. What's another boat?

iu

Greetings,
Mr. s. I hope you didn't take my post (#2) the wrong way. I've followed your progress with and transformation of Cajun Rose with interest AND a touch of envy. Ah, to be young and energetic.

You're a busy man and can't sit still. It doesn't surprise me, in the least that you're thinking of up-sizing. The humour, from MY perspective is "Why the hell not?" You've worked wonders with the Rose. What's another boat?

iu
RT, I've read your post for years and years and always enjoyed your humor. I will never take anything you say the wrong way. This forum is great for bouncing ideas around and getting great feedback. You be you and i'll be broke for the rest of my life.
I figure I will have about 300 in this vessel if I do the most of the work. :banghead:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom