Has anybody seen my boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couldn't find my current USCG documented boat. SHRUG
I know I am on the boat but I guess I am lost.
:dance:

Is this you? If so you can look it up by vessel number field on the search page and get right to it: 1251626

Attachments

• kinja.png
    kinja.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
Is this you? If so you can look it up by vessel number field on the search page and get right to it: 1251626

Should be me but draft is wrong. Should be 3.5
Build year is wrong. Should be 2008
Hull number is correct.

Last edited:
Should be me but draft is wrong. Should be 3.5
Build year is wrong. Should be 2008
Hull number is correct.

Depth and draft aren't the same. Depth refers to molded hull depth, rather than draft.

i really like that dingy mount i have been thinking about something that would let me put a 10" dingy on a 7" aft cabin . I had thought about running the front up high and supporting around the flybridge hand rail and leaving the back low . I think I'll hoist it up there and see how it fits with the aft high and low.
did you screw the rear pads to the deck? the mount that was on my boat was wood and connected with 5200.it has been removed now.

Build year is, for some boats, the year the keel was laid down, not necessarily the year it was sold.

Build year is, for some boats, the year the keel was laid down, not necessarily the year it was sold.

and my builder declared it to be a 2008 not a 2007.
When I first documented the boat, I put in all the correct information.
I dont care, I will die soon and then, it's someone else's problem SHRUG

i really like that dingy mount i have been thinking about something that would let me put a 10" dingy on a 7" aft cabin . I had thought about running the front up high and supporting around the flybridge hand rail and leaving the back low . I think I'll hoist it up there and see how it fits with the aft high and low.
did you screw the rear pads to the deck? the mount that was on my boat was wood and connected with 5200.it has been removed now.

The mount way up above the aft cabin works best for a lightweight. I presently carry a pair of kayaks, the longer one is 13.5', above a deck of under 8'. My support is high enough to give 6'6" headroom under the kayaks.

The mount way up above the aft cabin works best for a lightweight. I presently carry a pair of kayaks, the longer one is 13.5', above a deck of under 8'. My support is high enough to give 6'6" headroom under the kayaks.

thanks my setup is under 200# a fiberglass rib and 8hp 2 stroke . I'm making a
mount to store outboard on the transom. it would be around 100# bare,

As mentioned above, your document looks plausibly right to me.

First the build year. It is 2007. That is what they use on documentation. See how the last four characters of your HIN are E708? That means your hull was laid in May of 2007 (E7) and is a 2008 model year (08). So for USCG documentation purposes, your boat is a 2007 build year (about 50% of every model year of boat was "laid" the previous year so this is common).

And also as mentioned above, "depth" is not draft. It's more related to hull volume and is measured (basically) from the gunwale down.

First the build year. It is 2007. That is what they use on documentation. See how the last four characters of your HIN are E708? That means your hull was laid in May of 2007 (E7) and is a 2008 model year (08). So for USCG documentation purposes, your boat is a 2007 build year (about 50% of every model year of boat was "laid" the previous year so this is common).

And also as mentioned above, "depth" is not draft. It's more related to hull volume and is measured (basically) from the gunwale down.

Agreed on the date. My boat shows as K586, so it's an 86 model, built in November of 85. So it would likely end up documented as an 85 if I ever document it.

A. The last 4 characters of my HIM are E708 so I have been correct the USCG got it wrong.

B. If draft is the measurement from the water line to the lowest point on the hull, what is the term for, water under the keel? To me, that is important.

A. The last 4 characters of my HIM are E708 so I have been correct the USCG got it wrong.

B. If draft is the measurement from the water line to the lowest point on the hull, what is the term for, water under the keel? To me, that is important.

For B, depth has multiple meanings. You can talk about water depth (either from surface or under keel), or you can talk about hull depth, which is what the USCG document references. They're 2 totally different things.

Water beneath the keel depends on the depth of the water that your boat is floating in. IOW, it is infinitely variable and constantly changing. I'm unaware that there has ever been any term for such a measurement.

Agreed on the date. My boat shows as K586, so it's an 86 model, built in November of 85. So it would likely end up documented as an 85 if I ever document it.

That's it exactly. And it's still not documented as a 1985 model year, but only as a 1985 build year. Model year is not even delineated on the documentation, although you can tell what it is by looking at the last two HIN digits.

As I mentioned above this is very common, and doesn't mean the builder "lied" or misrepresented anything. The same thing happens with RV's, where say Tioga buys a 1999 cutaway Ford chassis and then build a 2000 Tioga Camparoo on it. The chassis is a 1999 but the Camparoo is a 2000.

Reason this happens is that the dividing line for a given manufacturer's model year, is not necessarily at the same time of year as the chassis builder (RV's). Or, in the case of boats, they don't get built in a day. So if they start building an American Tug, a Tolly, or whatever in November of 1988, it's not going to be a 1988 model year. Heck, it may not even be finished until mid1989.

But with boats, the HIN has to include the month/year the hull was "laid" (i.e build commenced). That is the build year that USCG uses. So for boats laid in the first half (or so) of a calendar year, the build year and model year are likely to be the same (e.g. A898). But if you have a boat that was only started in November of 88, its more likely to be a K899. So 1988 build year; 1989 model year. USCG doc will have 1988 as build year.

For B, depth has multiple meanings. You can talk about water depth (either from surface or under keel), or you can talk about hull depth, which is what the USCG document references. They're 2 totally different things.

The Bilder says a draft of 3.5 ft. Well, that is with an empty boat. WE put a lot of crap on our boats so I say it is 4 ft, just to be safe. Soooo, I am interested in the distance from the keel to the bottom. The keel hits first..... dont want to do that.
I measure from the sounder to the bottom of the keel and call that zero and calibrate from that point.

Last edited:
Old Dan,

No disagreement that draft is the important number for anyone actually running the boat. No question.

I'm no expert on the history of documentation, but I believe the numbers relate to theoretical cargo carrying capacity (this was all developed long ago and probably more with commercial vessels in mind). So they care about volume. Like how many barrels of X could the boat carry. Hence they want to know "depth," which for them is basically from the gunwale down. (I say "basically" because there are a few more details about hull shape, cabin, etc.).

So the numbers in the documentation aren't meaning for you to take them and decide which channels you can safety pilot. It's more about them knowing the cargo volume of your craft (which granted, doesn't matter on Joe boater's trawler, but that's just the way its done, as it was not developed recently or for pleasure craft).

Calypso

Rich, I know a lot of us have missed the treasure trove of info on the old website. Since Bob doesn't seem willing to share it, how about posting all the good info et al that you gave to the PO.

What was the point of raising it like that? Keeping visibility through the aft window? I'd have been more concerned about the raised weight of it affecting stability.
I am glad you thought if that aspect of this idea. I was planning to raise my dink also to clear the aft view. Do you think it would make that much of a difference?

I am glad you thought if that aspect of this idea. I was planning to raise my dink also to clear the aft view. Do you think it would make that much of a difference?

As Rich replied in post 21 on this thread, the dinghy isn't all that heavy so it wasn't a big deal. Seems about right.

The RIB I've got is a fair bit heavier, but realistically it'd be no worse than having several adults sitting up on the flybridge. And if you don't notice handling difference when that's happening then a stand like this wouldn't seem like it'd matter either.

I also try to keep track of my old boats' adventures with new owners.

I sold a 55ft sailboat of mine to a lovely Australian couple who crossed the Atlantic and cruised the Baltic. They then planned to go through the Panama Canal and return to Australia. I exchanged regular emails with them - usually about some minor maintenance detail like what color Awlgrip had been used on the topsides.

Then one day my emails started bouncing back. A few months later I discovered what had happened. They had left the boat in the UK for Christmas and flown home to Australia for the holidays to see family. While out for a bike ride on a bicycle built for two, a gravel truck swerved to avoid a dog in the road and the rear of the truck hit them. They were both killed.

My old boat eventually appeared on Yachtworld in the UK evidently being sold by their estate - it was heartbreaking.

Ever since, I've spent even more time cruising because you never know how much time you have left.

Last edited:
While out for a bike ride on a bicycle built for two, a gravel truck swerved to avoid a dog in the road and the rear of the truck hit them. They were both killed.

My old boat eventually appeared on Yachtworld in the UK evidently being sold by their estate - it was heartbreaking.

Ever since, I've spent even more time cruising because you never know how much time you have left.

Words to live by.

Rich, I know a lot of us have missed the treasure trove of info on the old website. Since Bob doesn't seem willing to share it, how about posting all the good info et al that you gave to the PO.

Oliver, I assume you are referring here to historical Grand Banks data like models their years of production and evolutionary development, but I have little to nothing in that regard. My information is a trove of information on Calypso specifically including all the manuals, maintenance spreadsheet, and the like all of which would be fairly useless to most folks. The engine manuals, for instance, are already posted.

Posting Info

No, Rich, I was thinking more of the detailed postings in Projects that were very informative. You must have a lot of service tips as well.
Just a thought.

No, Rich, I was thinking more of the detailed postings in Projects that were very informative. You must have a lot of service tips as well.
Just a thought.

A good one too. That sort of thing was never something I saved after posting any tips or tricks. I do have kind of a list of the modifications in made over 29 years, but no commentary as such. Anyway, something to think about....

I would be very interested in seeing your mods.
Oliver

I would be very interested in seeing your mods.
Oliver

OK, you asked for it! The dinghy rack has been discussed here already. Here are the other high points.

Photo one, my two-person pilot bench required removal of the traditional GB liquor locker which was placed in the aft port corner of the aft cabin. This is where I conned from 99% of the time.

Photo two and three, the aft cabin single bunks were pulled out to install a full size athwartship bed using the sides of the original beds and their drawers to form the exposed sides of the new bed. You can see the liquor locker which I used as a secretary in photo three in the aft port corner and the original set of dresser drawers moved to the forward port corner and cut down by a drawer.

Photo four is the lower station instrument panel and summarizes a lot of small changes like the added exhaust overheat alarms and the new fuel filter water alarms.

Photo five is the original position of the radar, and photo six is the stub mast I had made with several items installed on it. The new AIS antenna was placed on the small pedestal formerly occupied by the loud hailer.

Last photo is the mast lowered to a 45-degree angle to get under my former (blown away by Hurricane Michael) vinyl shed. There are many mods to the mast and boom including the permanently rigged raising and lowering tackle. I was once timed without my knowledge as I left port taking 2.5 minutes to raise the mast and fasten it in place. I added small sailbot winches to the mast and boom to assist in dinghy operations. I also added a good lightning rod and heavy cable running down to a plate on the hull. A proper gaff from which to the national ensign was also added. The is also a small "sailboat" VHF antenna up there for best recetion and transmission over longer ranges.

Anyway, those are the biggies, but there was something going on all the time over all those years.

Attachments

• CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 6
  • aft cabin port side.jpg
    aft cabin port side.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg