Harrowing crossing to the Bahamas. [emoji23]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe yall are missing the part where he sailed when the path of the storm was unknown. They thought it was going into the GoM.....

Lol but arm chair QB, because private boats is the same as shipping!

Having spent most of my life in a career that pretty much required the constant assumption of unreasonable personal risk of life for somewhat often meager gains, I am in no position to throw stones.

The only thing it required, we used to say, was arrogance to the point of stupidity.

Lol but arm chair QB, because private boats is the same as shipping!

If you want to demean others opinions, it's time you find a new line. That one is getting very old. Shipping isn't done by some group of superhumans and gods that no one else can possibly understand. Just because we own recreational boats doesn't mean we aren't allowed to express opinions.

I admire your work and your courage but not your feeling of superiority because of it.

If you want to demean others opinions, it's time you find a new line. That one is getting very old. Shipping isn't done by some group of superhumans and gods that no one else can possibly understand. Just because we own recreational boats doesn't mean we aren't allowed to express opinions.

I admire your work and your courage but not your feeling of superiority because of it.

It's not a feeling of superiority, but hearing the same "if I were the captain" line gets even older because you don't know. You think you do, but you don't. And yes, we are superhuman, if it were easy, everyone would do it.

" if it were easy, everyone would do it"

Couldn't that be said about any profession?

It's not a feeling of superiority, but hearing the same "if I were the captain" line gets even older because you don't know. You think you do, but you don't. And yes, we are superhuman, if it were easy, everyone would do it.

I know one thing clearly. I would never knowingly put the lives of myself and others at risk for any amount of money. Glad to know you're superhuman. That explains it.

" if it were easy, everyone would do it"

Couldn't that be said about any profession?

Not mine. Anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence, compassion, and a modicum of perseverance can do what I do.

Modesty. How many years did you go to school?:)

Ah yes superhuman! When I was aeenager I was superhuman but grew out of it. LOL

I know one thing clearly. I would never knowingly put the lives of myself and others at risk for any amount of money. Glad to know you're superhuman. That explains it.

Yea clearly making a light comment about being superhuman ruffled feathers. Glad yall take everything so serious.

By the way, he didn't "knowingly" do that. As stated 1000 times before, when he left Jax, there was no clear path for the storm. The decisions he made were based off of info he had on hand, not after the fact.

But there's always danger on ships and anytime at sea, so you must not leave the dock much.

BandB

That's all? Certainly you underestimate. :)

The local bus drivers around here do hundreds of thousands of miles each year, but I wouldn't call them experts on scheduling and routing! :lol:

The local bus drivers around here do hundreds of thousands of miles each year, but I wouldn't call them experts on scheduling and routing! :lol:

Made no claims as to expertise. Simply responded to statement I must not leave the dock much. Today was only 100 nm, 6 hours.

Made no claims as to expertise. Simply responded to statement I must not leave the dock much. Today was only 100 nm, 6 hours.

Thanks for making my point. You leave the dock knowing there's danger. So do we, only we have a schedule and competition to deal with.

We don't get the luxury of saying "bad weather, I'll stay home today" but we make decisions about weather based on the information we get. How can you justify staying in Jax when the weather man was saying the storm could be moving into the GoM?

By the way, the last weather info the capt gave was 15 ft seas. So clearly his weather routing was fine and it's been proven had the main not quit, they would have made it through no problem. They lost the main in the worst spot possible and the storm took a different route than expected... Damn the luck.

It's never 1 thing that causes a disaster, it's a chain. Storm takes a different track or they don't lose the main, the chain is broken.

I think there is a little more to it than the customer has a delay. I'm not condoning Totes actions, but the Puerto Rico run is a very competitive market. Crowley, Tote and others do compete for market share and delays are part of contract negotiations. Not unlike the rest of the economy.

Who's this "contract" with? If someone is benefiting contractually from a shipping container being late and the actual consignee gets no rebate if its late (and that's the norm from my experience) then there is even less ground to stand on there.

I was with BASRA (Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association) for several years. Idiots kept us busy. Sorry if anyone is offended. If you're preparing to cross the Gulf Stream this is an excellent example of what not to do.

I was with BASRA (Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association) for several years. Idiots kept us busy. Sorry if anyone is offended. If you're preparing to cross the Gulf Stream this is an excellent example of what not to do.

Hey. slight derail here.

But when in the Exumas this spring we had a US Coast Guard heli run the chain south and the back north every day.

Is that patrol out of South Florida or based in the Bahamas somewhere?

Not sure as my time was years ago. But I also had USCG HELI flyovers in Bimini / Freeport / Andros on my most recent cruises home. I would guess that they operate both ways. Some out of Miami and some out of Andros as visitors. :) I'm sure there's a Coastie that can comment.

Who's this "contract" with? If someone is benefiting contractually from a shipping container being late and the actual consignee gets no rebate if its late (and that's the norm from my experience) then there is even less ground to stand on there.

Contract is with end user . These runs are based on a certain percentage of Boxes making ontime landfall in PR. The harsh reality is that XYZ gets 87% ontime, why would I pay another provider top dollar when they only get 79% on time average?
Look at the track record Crowley has for this run. Years and years of containers on RORO barges with service from Jax and Philadelphia. They routinely leave in frightening wx. Great record of safety, not perfect but impressive. A fellow tug Captain left Jax with containers and took the inshore (Miami) route at the same time of the El Faro incident. I talked to him later and he said the worst sea he experienced on that trip was 8'.

Are you or have you been the master of any of these vessels you crew on?

If you are superhuman, I guess the guys that come out and pluck your sorry butt out of the water occasionally are just regular joes with no lives.

And worse, the poor bastard that sends the new young guys out to save your sorry asses in severe conditions has no ba** s at all I guess.

While many here on TF may not be salty dogs...but they are far from stupid or cowards. While some are too quick with answers on maritime incidents for my taste, doesnt mean I have automatic distaste for them in general. Sure call them monday morning quatertebacks, but thinking being a merchant mariner is super human
....nope cant even say it.... :)

Last edited:
Are you or have you been the master of any of these vessels you crew on?

If you are superhuman, I guess the guys that come out and pluck your sorry butt out of the water occasionally are just regular joes with no lives.

And worse, the poor bastard that sends the new young guys out to save your sorry asses in severe conditions has no ba** s at all I guess.

While many here on TF may not be salty dogs...but they are far from stupid or cowards. While some are too quick with answers on maritime incidents for my taste, doesnt mean I have automatic distaste for them in general. Sure call them monday morning quatertebacks, but thinking being a merchant mariner is super human
....nope cant even say it.... :)

You must have missed where I said I was joking around to keep things light. But let me bow down to you while you're on your soap box! Also never called anyone a coward or gutless, get over yourself.

Salty Dawg

Sometimes being humble until you learn the accomplishments of some of the posters here may be the best policy. Many of these guy rate very high in my book but you only learn that by listening and not trying to argue.

Just my SSO.

Greetings,
Mr. M. I see what you did there...

200.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom