Hard to Port Hard To Port!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Wonder why the crew were running to the bow - looking to push her off! :D

Note how quickly the bow of the boat the camera man was on bore off to stbd when the bow crossed the prop wash of the other boat.

I could just see two skippers visualizing their careers going down the tubes!

What amazes me is how often this seems to happen.
There's tons of these videos out there.

I'd say "hard to starboard" as in right helm, or turn to the right. My general rule is to pass to the other boat's stern, even when making a move to avoid collision when being the supposed stand-on vessel.

I'd say "hard to starboard" as in right helm, or turn to the right. My general rule is to pass to the other boat's stern, even when making a move to avoid collision when being the supposed stand-on vessel.

I got the impression the order was being transmitted over the VHF from the small ship to the bigger one, in an attempt to have big guy swing his stern away from the little guy's bow.

The smaller ship could have prudently turned earlier to starboard so to avoid any worry.

(My half-broken computer doesn't make sound.)

That was the transmitter to the other ship getting him to swing his stern away from the collision point.

The smaller ship could have prudently turned earlier to starboard so to avoid any worry.

(My half-broken computer doesn't make sound.)

Agreed. It would have solved a lot of issues had they never found themselves in that particular situation in the first place. Maybe the little guy lost steering or something. Not sure how it started.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom