Harbour House marina in Galveston Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent Hodges

Vessel Name
Friendship
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Sundeck
I called today to try to rent a slip for the weekend. They have a new policy on slips, you have to rent a room at the hotel to get a slip. How much sense does that make? I tried to explain that we didn't need the room since we could stay on the boat, but just got "it's our new policy".
So, I ask if they had slips available, and she said "oh, yea, we have plenty". So, I ask about a room. She sends me to "room reservations". I ask about a room for the weekend, and they are booked solid. No rooms available. Soooo, I say, "let me get this straight. You won't rent a slip without a room, yet you have plenty of empty slips and no empty rooms?"* I'm just told, "yes sir, but that's our policy".
I did ask to speak to the Hotel Manager, but she was out for the day. Hmmmm......
I thought my head was going to explode. This may be the dumbest "new policy" I've ever heard of.
Anyone know somebody that has a room at the HH for the weekend? I need a slip.

Yep, that sure takes the cake as a dumb new policy. I wonder how long it lasts?

My opinion is they need 2 things.....A new Policy and A new Manager...!

This shouldn't surprise anyone as "incompetency" is found in everything these days. My wife and I encounter examples of this almost daily.

Brent:

No way.* You took this from a Monty Python skit, right?**

no.gif

Who owns Harbor House now? Used to be George Mitchell who had more money than the Catholic Church.

It was Mitchell, then Fertitta, now someone else. I think it's part of a major chain. Soon as I find out I'm raising hell. This place has always had problems with boaters for one reason or another. One thing Brent didn't mention is that once you rent the room, you have to pay an additional $50 for the boat slip.

It's pretty obvious they just don't want boaters in their little "marina".* Oh yea, I need to go update Active Captain.

Wyndham. Now to hit their investor resources sites and find the big chiefs for the letter writing.

Aren't there other marinas in Galveston that will accept a weekend or over night stay? I seem to remember a couple of others from about 10 years ago (pre-Ike)...

Kelby, there are. But the Harbour House has the best location....you are right there on The Strand....makes for a very nice stay.

There is the Galveston Yacht Basin....a good mile walk from "everything".
The Marina at Moody Gardens is back up and running.
That is really about it. There are a couple of other places that are hit and miss. Brent went down there this weekend and I have been meaning to ask him where he ended up. Galveston is quite underserved when it comes to marinas....

Thanks for the info John. Our recently purchased boat is currently sitting at South Shore Marina near you. We won't be able to bring it home here to Dauphin Island, AL until October. We may get a few days to come over in September and thought a trial run down to Galveston for an overnighter would be a good shake down trip for us before we take the longer ride home with it. Have to say it sure sounds like the Harbour House is missing out of some good business.

Yep...I think sometimes businesses do things like that because they don't want the business....who knows.

And what kind of boat did y'all get???...it is likely that I have seen it.

I'm in South Shore Harbour as well, Pier 15, slip 39. SSH is on Facebook if you're interested. We have our annual boater flea market this Saturday by pier 14.

As far as marinas, you guys missed the very nice Harborwalk in Galveston, right off Red Can Bend West of the causeway bridge.

Keith, I messaged you on facebook and I will here too. Can anybody sell anything at the boater's flea market??? DO we need to buy space or just haul all of our stuff over there and sell away???

It's free and open to anyone to buy or sell. We'll have tables if you want to use them.

42' 1981 Grand Banks Classic that was an estate sale sitting at Jay Bettis Yachts.* Turned out to be a short sale as well and took over two months to finally get our price.* Surveys went really well, and we were able to get it low enough that we could update pretty much everything we needed for now.* Bright work will have to wait until we get it over here to Dauphin Island.* You may have indeed seen it.

Keith, I wish I could get over there for the sale - I'm in the buying mode! :). We're on pier 13, slip 7. My son has been enjoying the heck out of it for me... and you'll probably see him around on weekends. In fact, I'll let him know you are keeping a good eye on his activities for me. Maybe we will catch up with you when we get over in a few weeks.

Kelby, Pier 12 slip 1 here. Small world. Gotta go take a look at your new boat. Congrats to y'all!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom