Happy winter soltice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Happy Winter Soltice !!!

My location:

Sunrise: 7:52
Sunset: 4:29

8hrs 37 minutes of sun today. Start gaining tomorrow!!

Hope everyone has a great day.

our sunrise was at 7:37
Sunset will be at 4:13

Same length of daylight. At sunrise I was out walking the dog. Great way to start a Solstice day!

7:40 AM and 4:39 PM here, so 8 hrs 58 minutes of sun. We're just a little further south than those of you in the PNW, I guess.

So Summer Solstice for those down under?

Happy Solstice!!

In NC:
Sunrise 7:28am
Sunset 5:15pm

9hrs, 47min of daylight today.

Looking forward to Spring!!

8:06 to 4:19 here. Just a short few miles south of the 49th
No doggie walking this morning due to a light snowfall. 4cm and rising!
Happy solstice!

8:53 and 4:14 here, but there are mountains 4,500' above the valley floor on the east & west sides gobbling up the first and last hour or so of direct sunshine.

It's all good :thumb:

Actual Time 7:12 AM 5:41 PM

Length of Day 10 h 28 m

Tomorrow will be 0 minutes 1 seconds longer....

That extra second will feel pretty good!

8:53 and 4:14 here, but there are mountains 4,500' above the valley floor on the east & west sides gobbling up the first and last hour or so of direct sunshine.

It's all good :thumb:

WOW. Kinda like a deep freezer. I bet one side of the valley doesn't get daylight for some time....

Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island:

Sun rise: 8:11
Sun set 4:22

It was just snowing big junks of wet snow, just changed to rain with some snow still on the ground.

Current location: Sedona, AZ sunrise 7:31am - sunset 5:19pm

Unlike where my wife recently retired from: Karparuk, Alaska 300 miles north of the arctic circle. The shortest day was actually on Nov 24th with only 1hr 3mins of daylight.

Starting Nov 24th the sun does not rise until January 17th.

After 15 years of working up north she is happy to be retired during winter solstice!

Of course the summer solstice is the complete opposite with 24 hours of daylight (no sunset) from May 20th to July 22nd!

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, sunrise 7:57 to sunset 4:53, about nine hours of sunlight, 15 hours of darkness. 43.5 north latitude. Freakishly warm 42*F today.

I maintain that our darkest day does not always fall on the 21st. Hear me out. Up here in God's land of PNW and coastal BC, we can get clouds, lots of clouds, lots and lots of clouds. We've had clouds now for the past week. As I am typing this, the clouds are parting and getting a beautiful sunset with the golds and reds hitting the clouds. If it clears soon, and its suppose to, today won't be our darkest day, that honour probably fell to a days a few days ago. I might even get a chance to see the star thingy that is suppose to happen this evening, the conjoining of the twins or something like that.

I noticed a news item talking about how the conjoining of the whatever planets happened three times when Jesus was supposedly born, hence the theory is that the star (two stars) they saw in December was this phenomena. Of course the flaw in the argument is that no one knows when Jesus was born and December was pulled out of a hat.

What would the shortest, darkest day of the year be without a power outage? This morning began with pouring rain. (it never actually rains on Saltspring, remember)
Then, mid morning, well, you could tell it was after sunrise, as it did get lighter out, it began to snow. Heavy, wet flakes that piled up to about 10cm in a couple of hours. Then, at about 1 PM, the power went out.
Luckily, the motorhome is parked only 150 ft from the house, and is powered by leeching off the line that runs to the well out back. It has a bow mounted 10kw Onan Genset. I plugged the genset backwards into the 15 amp plug at the RV power outlet and 1/2 the house had power. Then I ran a 200' extension cord down to the house and a second backwards plugin and the whole house was powered. I turned off the HW tank and the Christmas lights, and we were good till the power came back on.
When my nearest neighbour showed lights, I called to see if it was of his own making or from the grid. That was after only 3 hours, so a good part of daylight gone.
Now the days will be getting longer and brighter.

In the Chicagoland area yesterday: Nine hours and 8 minutes of cloudy sunlight from 7:13 to 16:21. Gales yesterday. Gales tomorrow. It's definitely winter sailing, but still pretty warm. The high's have been in the 40s lately. I'm not complaining.

Barely freezing today. Have seen slugs & mushrooms in January, snow in April, and red maple leaves in July. North coast normal :D

Greetings,
Well, the temperature here has been up and down more times than a toilet seat at a mixed party. Snow today and tomorrow then 25mm to 35mm rain on Thursday. Poor dog is so confused...

iu

On the first day after the winter solstice, the hours of sunshine were significantly greater than yesterday.
The day dawned with no clouds. The sun shone all day long. Early in the day a neighbour walked over and we were invited to an after dusk beach fire/carol singing/happy hour. A drive into town was possible, as the roads had been cleared, we got to drop off a Christmas treat at a friend's home, and had an impromptu visit from one son. The beach fire was nice, dinner was excellent, and now relaxing in front of the fire, I can look ahead to many better, longer, sunnier days. Had the opportunity to observe the Jupiter/Saturn pair directly, with still clear skies.

Even reconsidered yesterday's decision to put a relatively new member on my ignore list, as his strident posts were so irritating. No changes made, lets not go too far this soon into the new year.

Last edited:
Keith is there much covid or any at all on Saltspring? My guess would be none.

Keith is there much covid or any at all on Saltspring? My guess would be none.

None at present, though there have been maybe 3 over the whole time of Covid.

I would guess your community is similar. Am I right?

It is a good turning point but I get more excited about the summer solstice. Actually the spring equinox is a better cause for celebration because that is when the rate of increased daylight is at it's max (not total daylight but rate of change)

Groundhog Day in just 4 weeks! I swear I could tell today it's getting dark later.

Blowing 30 knots here in harbor, LaLa Conner.

Locked and loaded for an equinox, solstice, anything!

Farrell,
Coming down tomorrow and hope I’m still tied up.
Over half of my mooring lines are 5/8ths Brait. That stuff seems very resistant to chaffing.

Was going to come down today but went home.
Need to run the engine and Wabasto for exercise.
I’m on K29

Winter Solstice

In retirement, I'm just glad to see another one, but looking forward to those warm weather cruises in the San Juan summer solstice. Ahhh!

Back
Top Bottom