Happy Spring Equinox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So today in Astoria OR spring starts.

Sunrise: 7:21

Sunset 7:20

Over 12 hours by tomorrow!! Yee Haw:dance::dance:

Yo Buddy! Just wait till you get back up to AK with the near-24 hour sun.

Sun up at 7:41am and down at 7:43pm today here in Kitimat, on BC's north coast.

Snowed yesterday and still no pussy willows, although the Fox Sparrows have been singing for a couple weeks and the Junco's started up a couple days ago.

I consider it to be spring here when the skunk cabbage jumps up, sometime in April.

My personal indicator of Spring is the return of Rufous Hummingbirds. Yesterday I heard one J-diving, but didn't see him. Close enough for me.

Here in Montana spring has arrived when we see or hear Sand Hill Cranes.

Does Astoria have a different celestial calendar? I'm showing the vernal equinox on March 20, 2021, at 09:37 UTC

Does Astoria have a different celestial calendar? I'm showing the vernal equinox on March 20, 2021, at 09:37 UTC
Yup, still 2 more days of winter!

ASD may be referring to the length of day and night being roughly equal.
Of course that will depend on where the observation is taken and how the beginning
and end of a 'day' is defined. First/last glimpse of the sun? Mid-point of the sun? Etc.

Last edited:
Yes, a couple days until the equinox.

This time of the year is the best boating weather for us.
Not quite so hot, 29C today, but calmer winds over the next month or two. I'll enjoy the boating until the arrival of the black cockatoos. This tells us the wet and windy winter is here.

Yup, still 2 more days of winter!

ASD may be referring to the length of day and night being roughly equal.
Of course that will depend on where the observation is taken and how the beginning
and end of a 'day' is defined. First/last glimpse of the sun? Mid-point of the sun? Etc.
Yep I was just using daylight hours.

But saw a dozen or so barn swallows this morning.

Agreed, another couple days. The best part of equinox for me is not that you get more light than dark, but the rate of change is at its max!!! The day to day gain in length of sunlight is never greater than now. Bring it on!

We will have a few minutes over 12 hours of daylight in Northern Wisconsin today!

The sap is running off and on but will be good for the next 5 - 7 days then may stop early.

Almost no snow on the ground.

I can literally smell Spring and BOATING..Bring it on!!

pete

Unfortunately, my winter marina had to close down completely yesterday due to COVID. Hoping it won't impact spring launchings too much, TBD.

Unfortunately, my winter marina had to close down completely yesterday due to COVID. Hoping it won't impact spring launchings too much, TBD.
Well that sucks. Just take a picture of the boat and dream. Hope you get back on the water soon.

We will have a few minutes over 12 hours of daylight in Northern Wisconsin today!

The sap is running off and on but will be good for the next 5 - 7 days then may stop early.

Almost no snow on the ground.

I can literally smell Spring and BOATING..Bring it on!!

pete

I miss that part about living up that way this time of year, helping friends tap the maples and birches, and boiling down the sap while standing around a fire.

Helping my kids find Easter eggs in the three feet of snow still in our yard...not so much :rofl:

Well that sucks. Just take a picture of the boat and dream. Hope you get back on the water soon.

Thanks! On the bright side, if there is one, maybe I don't have to start scraping barnacles quite as early!

Heard some Canada Geese fly overhead and a Pacific Wren (stands about 3" tall) singing its amazing song this morning while out photographing in some fully mature forest...sure fire signs of early spring :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom