Happiest Owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Boating is not a cure for unhappiness either. :ermm:

Buying a boat won't make you happy. :confused: Having a boat can make you happier, can contribute greatly to your happiness and pleasure in life. However, you put an unhappy person in a boat and they'll be cursing every problem and soon hating the boat. It requires a mindset. I'm a happy boater, but I'm a happy person and boating just makes me even happier. :dance:

As to the dock kings, I think many are not owned by happy boaters, but there are exceptions. There are some in our neighborhood who have boats behind their homes that get very little use. One man I know only uses his when his kids and grandkids come but he'll clean and polish every week and many days he'll just go down and spend an afternoon on his boat, tinkering, listening to music. Some afternoons his wife will go sit with him too. :)

No Kidding! I lived aboard for a while so I saw the boats sit at the dock, but especially noticed as I was leaving for a long weekend trip,they just sat there. In hindsight, are those boat owners happy.

Many people hate selling possessions they acquire.

They are happy owning things, not using them.

Or they buy a boat, go out a few times in conditions that scare the crap out of wife and kids, or make a spectacle of themselves docking and the wife refuse to go anymore.

Many people hate selling possessions they acquire.

They are happy owning things, not using them.

Wifey B: Some are hoarders of a sophisticated kind. With some it's not the possession, but it's memories. We were at the home of an 80+ year old couple a few years ago, both now deceased. They had finally sold their 199' or so, I'm not sure exactly, Trinity. They hadn't physically been up to going out on it even with professional crew and hadn't been out in nearly two years as it took them a year before they could admit they needed to sell it and then time to sell it. They were very sad. We ended up sitting with them all afternoon as they shared memories. As we got ready to leave, the man looked at us and thanked us for listening. We said our pleasure, great stories. He said it was cathartic, that it really reminded him they hadn't sold the memories, just the boat.

Had they felt comfortable still boating at all, even twice a year, they never would have sold it. :)

Wifey B quoted her friend's observation that "they hadn't sold the memories, just the boat." That's where to find joy in our boating lives. It's not about the boat, so much as it's about the places it carries us and the people we connect with along the way. Boats that never feel their owners' footsteps aboard can't bring them much joy.

...It's not the possession of a boat which makes us happy, it is the experience we have with them that makes us happy.

:thumb: Couldn’t agree more! We’ve been cruising and living full time 22 out of the last 23 years. The break was between boats when Lena wanted to go back to work. Less than 4 months later she said, “l made a mistake, can we find another boat”. :dance: That was 13 years ago. We’re happy (owners).

In the 22 years we’ve been to 47 different countries/territories by boat. It’s the experiences for us.

Last edited:
:thumb: Couldn’t agree more! We’ve been cruising and living full time 22 out of the last 23 years. The break was between boats when Lena wanted to go back to work. Less than 4 months later she said, “l made a mistake, can we find another boat”. :dance: That was 13 years ago. We’re happy (owners).

In the 22 years we’ve been to 47 different countries/territories by boat. It’s the experiences for us.

Wifey B: We're finishing an unusual and amazing land trip. In fact, 1:30 AM right now and I need to go to bed but trying to set my patterns back up for returning to real time. :lol: Still, I can't help it, as great a time as we've had, as nice as the hotels, I've found myself often thinking I sure wish we were here on our boat. I can't wait to cruise here, even though the marina's a little drive from downtown Rome. All of us have been looking at the sea forecasts at home and hoping we can boat a little before 14' seas hit on Thursday. :mad:

Wifey B: We're finishing an unusual and amazing land trip. In fact, 1:30 AM right now and I need to go to bed but trying to set my patterns back up for returning to real time. :lol: Still, I can't help it, as great a time as we've had, as nice as the hotels, I've found myself often thinking I sure wish we were here on our boat. I can't wait to cruise here, even though the marina's a little drive from downtown Rome. All of us have been looking at the sea forecasts at home and hoping we can boat a little before 14' seas hit on Thursday. :mad:

So true. We are vacationing on Isle of Palms, SC with a beautiful beach in front of us.

But, we find ourselves wandering over to the marinas. Go figure?

If I walk away from my boat at the dock and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I dinghy away from my boat at anchor and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I....etc., I'm a happy boater.

Lol, now Conrad I agree 100% there. Walking away from your boat let it be from anchorage or at your home port and you smile like it’s one of your kids...
We have been looking at upgrading if that’s the word you use! For us it feels like an affair for the both my wife and I feeling another boat. It’s hard to describe.... we almost are scared of karma taking our ole girl out, is she gonna rebel...

Really wired ju ju

Another reason boaters in general are happy people is the good relationship with their spouse.

Most boating couples we know have been married to each other for a long time and boated during most of those years.

It encourages team work and defined responsibilities.

Sacrifices to other forms of leisure and finances are the norm.

Spending long periods together in the confines of the boat alone without killing each other tend to strengthen relationships.

Surviving or experiencing rough water crossings, mechanical difficulties and other tests result in trust and confidence with each other.

And for most men, having a spouse that enjoy boating as much as them, is a blessing.

Affordability Happiness

I was staying at the Brewers in Mystic many years ago and directly across from me was couple in a Mainship 400. They were telling someone on the dock the reason that Mainship Trawlers made them "Happy". Basically said that Mainship offered affordable boats which enabled the owner to afford to do long term cruising, such as the Great Loop, etc. I met a family who just returned to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on a Mainship 390, traveling to the Bahama's and back, saying the same thing. As a former 390 and Pilot 34 owner, I feel the same way.

I guess part of being "Happy" with a boat could also mean being able to afford buying and using it, while having confidence in the boats performance and reliability.

Just a thought on one of the many reasons for feeling happy with a type or brand of a boat.

I was staying at the Brewers in Mystic many years ago and directly across from me was couple in a Mainship 400. They were telling someone on the dock the reason that Mainship Trawlers made them "Happy". Basically said that Mainship offered affordable boats which enabled the owner to afford to do long term cruising, such as the Great Loop, etc. I met a family who just returned to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on a Mainship 390, traveling to the Bahama's and back, saying the same thing. As a former 390 and Pilot 34 owner, I feel the same way.

I guess part of being "Happy" with a boat could also mean being able to afford buying and using it, while having confidence in the boats performance and reliability.

Just a thought on one of the many reasons for feeling happy with a type or brand of a boat.

I do believe affordable boating makes people happier. I know if I was worried about payments or even if I was stressed financially by the costs of boating,, then I'd have a very difficult time enjoying it.

I'm thankful for manufacturers like Bayliner and Mainship that allowed many to boat comfortably.

Ranger tug

We love our Ranger Tug 31CB. Can run as an efficient trawler or faster 15 mph at better than a mile to a gallon. Roomy for two.

I don't think boat type is the reason for happiness or not. Most boaters love their boats. If not happy about a specific boat, most boaters will sell it and get something else.

People that use their boats a lot seem to be happier.

Too many boaters don't get to use their boat as often or as long as they want, due to various reasons:

Work/job
Wife does not enjoy boating
Kids and grand kids birthdays, sports, weddings, births in summer
Boat needs repair
Health issues
Afraid to dock
Lacking funds

Or in my case, a husband who doesn't enjoy boating, and chafes at being left home alone too often.

Lol! After almost 50 years together, he knows all my tricks. It's more fun to go out with my friends and have fun than twist his arm to go and then listen to the complaints. I'm sure it's the same with guys whose wives don't enjoy boating.

Lol! After almost 50 years together, he knows all my tricks. It's more fun to go out with my friends and have fun than twist his arm to go and then listen to the complaints. I'm sure it's the same with guys whose wives don't enjoy boating.

I know of one couple who returned after an extend voyage, as they docked behind their house, the wife said, I enjoyed the trip but, so happy to be home.
He, untied the boat and left again. SHRUG.
I never did learn what happened after that.

I know of one couple who returned after an extend voyage, as they docked behind their house, the wife said, I enjoyed the trip but, so happy to be home.
He, untied the boat and left again. SHRUG.
I never did learn what happened after that.

I think she got the house

Or in my case, a husband who doesn't enjoy boating, and chafes at being left home alone too often.

A husband that doesn't know how lucky he is.

I have lost track of the number of boats I have owned in my 70 years of skippering boats. In 1981 I saw a C Dory22 going from Long Beach CA, to Catalina almost every weekend of the year, and vowed when I got too old to sail or own trawlers, that was what I was going to buy.

I bought my first C Dory in 2003, and have owned at least one ever since. I believe as a group that the C Dory has the happiest group of owners. Why? Many have owned sail or power boats and realized the virtue of a trailerable trawler. The C Dory is easily trailerable, is very simple (and inexpensive) to operate, and is rugged. We spend about 2 months a year aboard our current C Dory 25 and it is plenty of room for us and a dog.

They are not boats for crossing oceans, but for exploring the coasts and inland waters. Go to Alaska, Mexico, the Keys or Bahamas--they have done that. The Great Loop? They have done that a number of times.

The C Dory is not for everyone, they will pound if driven hard in moderate chop, but there are a couple of ways around that most times. Cored hulls, is the main issue, but not to the point that the boat was not repairable. Even C Dorys which have been rolled in the surf against rocks, have been repaired and brought back to life.

At hull speed the 22, gets about 8 miles per gallon, the 25 somewhere in the 6 miles per gallon--Planing the 22 gets in the 4 to 5 miles per gallon, and the 25 in the 2.5 to 3 miles per gallon range. Top speeds loaded for cruising are in the low 20's. In Alaska we have made 250 mile runs with the 100 gallons of fuel with a combination of planing and displacement speeds.

The C Brat community is far larger and more active than the Tug Nut community, But the Ranger Tugs do enjoy more factory support. There are bigger and more comfortable boats, but a lot of very happy C Dory owners.

I would also put Nordhavn owners in the very satisfied class also, at the other end of the spectrum.

A boat that meets your expectations, whatever they may be.

Happiest owners

This is a random question, but I'm curious, so I have to ask: what make of boat do you think has the happiest owners? For instance, those that own Ranger Tugs ("tug nuts") seem to be so happy, it's almost cult-like. Tolly owners too seem to be very happy with their choice of boat. And I am aware that "happiness" is relative before the comedy bits start piling up... lol. thanks ;)

Lol.

Redheads, Blondes, Brunettes? Leg man or breast man? Trucks or muscle cars? Beach, mountains or desert? Is there a God or isn’t there?

You couldn’t have asked a more unanswerable question.

I love my Grand Banks and I find joy in everyone else’s choice of boats, whether I like them or not.

Logic isn’t involved. It’s all emotion.

Happiest owners

I have lost track of the number of boats I have owned in my 70 years of skippering boats. In 1981 I saw a C Dory22 going from Long Beach CA, to Catalina almost every weekend of the year, and vowed when I got too old to sail or own trawlers, that was what I was going to buy.

I bought my first C Dory in 2003, and have owned at least one ever since. I believe as a group that the C Dory has the happiest group of owners. Why? Many have owned sail or power boats and realized the virtue of a trailerable trawler. The C Dory is easily trailerable, is very simple (and inexpensive) to operate, and is rugged. We spend about 2 months a year aboard our current C Dory 25 and it is plenty of room for us and a dog.

They are not boats for crossing oceans, but for exploring the coasts and inland waters. Go to Alaska, Mexico, the Keys or Bahamas--they have done that. The Great Loop? They have done that a number of times.

The C Dory is not for everyone, they will pound if driven hard in moderate chop, but there are a couple of ways around that most times. Cored hulls, is the main issue, but not to the point that the boat was not repairable. Even C Dorys which have been rolled in the surf against rocks, have been repaired and brought back to life.

At hull speed the 22, gets about 8 miles per gallon, the 25 somewhere in the 6 miles per gallon--Planing the 22 gets in the 4 to 5 miles per gallon, and the 25 in the 2.5 to 3 miles per gallon range. Top speeds loaded for cruising are in the low 20's. In Alaska we have made 250 mile runs with the 100 gallons of fuel with a combination of planing and displacement speeds.

The C Brat community is far larger and more active than the Tug Nut community, But the Ranger Tugs do enjoy more factory support. There are bigger and more comfortable boats, but a lot of very happy C Dory owners.

I would also put Nordhavn owners in the very satisfied class also, at the other end of the spectrum.

We also have a C Dory 22 cruiser that we have owned for 12 years. We have cruised Puget Sound and the gulf coast in it. We love that little boat. Great boat and a very tight community.

EVERY boat is a compromise of wishes that one would like from their vessel. I am the very happy owner of my 1987 Bayliner 3870. She is my seventh vessel in my 73 years on the water. Many might, and some have, called it a lower quality vessel compared to many similar sized and makes of boats on the market?

For me, I love her. Reasonably priced on purchase. Hasn't cost be a bundle nor any unexpected repairs in the four years I have owned her. She takes me where I want to go in reasonable comfort and style. I am of the age that healthy boating time is running out so I am just completing $50K of upgrades on her to increase the filling of some of my wants not presently aboard.

I am excited and raring to go for my extensive central BC coast cruise this spring and summer. Again, to try out my great vessel and my excellent upgrades. Happiness IS a state of mind that one comes to the vessel with and hopes to extend it through the cruise. Weather, reliability, fantastic company and exceptional scenes, great times, great seafood catching and consumption, and above all just dam well being alive and enjoying life on the water all adds to even more happiness.

So what make or model is not the key. The key is finding a vessel you can afford that meets the majority of your particular needs. I suggest that your needs likely are not the same as mine or perhaps even the majority of other people's so it is an individual search. Happy hunting!

I guess it boils down to "whatever floats your boat", lol!

Boats are mission specific, or a compromise.
Knowing owners from the elite to the cheap boats, the happiest owners seem to be the ones that use, are familiar and still enjoy their boats, regardless of the brand or cost. This appears to be due to the boat meeting their mission, is in seaworthy condition, or will do several missions well enough. An affordable boat is a relative association to available income.

This pretty much nails my thought: "It's not the possession of a boat which makes us happy, it is the experience we have with them that makes us happy."

It's not the boat, as much as what the boats enables me to do or experience. I have pictures of my girls when they were younger with friends jumping off the bow at the sand bar, tubing, beach parties, tying up for lunch or an ice cream, exploring places inaccessible by land.

It seems some will own a boat because they want other to perceive that they have a great life.....seldom using it (as was said).

Last summer we went out to Isle of Shoals (12 miles off NH/ME coast), grabbed a mooring and went ashore. Explored to old hotel, had lobster rolls...picnic tables by the water.....which is why I own a boat.

My wife and I are 30 years in to this wonderful life style and Still get excited for the season to start. Great neighbors, beautiful marina here in Bay Head, NJ and and great slip, though we rock a lot. I've done a lot of work to my boat and always look for new projects.

My husband and I are in the process of selling our house and have moved aboard full time, with two cats. We’re all very happy and looking forward to new adventures. Boat housework is so much easier, we’re minimising our stuff, making improvements, and taking it a day at a time. Who wouldn’t be happy? IMG_6020.jpgIMG_6003.jpg

Last edited:
The OAs are pretty good boats. At 50 ft, you will have lots of room for a year or two and then, the boat will be full LOL

Back
Top Bottom