Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
This Happened!!

Picture this:

We are heading north from FL to CT. Our first stop is Dragon Point. It's a decent anchorage at the mouth of the Banana River in Melbourne, FL. I chose a clear area with at least 300 feet of swing room from any boat around me. We lower the anchor (Manson Supreme 60# in case you are curious), make sure it's set and begin to relax for the evening.

Suddenly, I hear a knocking on the side of the boat. I dash out to the deck and find a guy in worn out clothes, standing in an inflatable that looked about 50 years old, bare feet standing in about 3 inches of water, and sporting a British Seagull outboard that smelled strongly of raw gasoline. I'm not kidding, a living breathing British Seagull!

He points to his delapidated 26 foot (approx) sailboat and tells me that my boat is over one of his THREE anchors. He goes on to say that last week a 52 foot power boat dragged anchor and hit his boat bending his stanchions. He said he was sure that when I raised my anchor I would take him with me.

He wanted me to move! I told him I would be happy to move in the morning when I was ready to leave, and that if I took him with me it would be much safer in the morning.

Ok, now it's 7:00 in morning and I start my engines. Mr. Cautious comes flying out of his boat staring at me from his cockpit. We retrieved our anchor and cruised away leaving him behind. He meekly waved goodbye. Oh well.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
and you think that is anything amazing in some of the Florida anchorages?

My favorite example of abandoned (or questionable boats) is Cocoa City anchorage.

Half the boats there I have never seen anyone on and they look the same except with more mildew on every year. Several are anchored in the no anchor zone due to pipeline/cable area...and no one seems to care. But I bet the minute you go near one...some bearded hermit will show up and threaten you somehow.

Glad it never got ugly for you...but NOT being in the one percent...maybe not even in the upper 50% anymore.....I have a real hard time with some of these maritime homesteaders that feel like their corner of the globe is theirs because they got there first.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Guru

Yes, Cocoa Beach is quite a derelict anchorage. I am afraid to anchor there for fear something will break loose and hit me, or I will develop some disease from inhaling airborne mold.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Yes, Cocoa Beach is quite a derelict anchorage. I am afraid to anchor there for fear something will break loose and hit me, or I will develop some disease from inhaling airborne mold.
Yep...but still like going far enough to be comfy for the night and using the free dock during the day. Some stay the night at the dock but I discourage it as I hate to see good deals get complicated.

Pretty little town and good dingy access....wish they would clear out the derelicts.

My thoughts on anchoring...while I don't agree with the current legislation being passed...I clearly see the difference between transient anchoring for a week or so and homesteading at anchor. I can see towns passing a law determining the viability of both and making both available....restrictive on the long term...reasonable on the short term.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Guru

Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Yes, Cocoa Beach is quite a derelict anchorage.
There is no anchorage at Cocoa Beach which is about 10 miles to the east of the anchorage in Cocoa south of the 520 causeway. Cocoa and Cocoa Beach are two separate towns with the town of Merritt Island between them.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Guru

Actually Thousands Islands Anchorage mentioned in Active Captain seems an OK anchorage for Cocoa Beach....

Not the one I am referring to but if people want to visit Cocoa Beach...check out the Active Captain reference.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Guru

My sincere apologies to Cocoa Beach.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
My sincere apologies to Cocoa Beach.
It's OK...not many cruisers I hear brave going up and down the Banana River anyway due to draft and channel markings.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Picture this:

We are heading north from FL to CT. Our first stop is Dragon Point. It's a decent anchorage at the mouth of the Banana River in Melbourne, FL. I chose a clear area with at least 300 feet of swing room from any boat around me. We lower the anchor (Manson Supreme 60# in case you are curious), make sure it's set and begin to relax for the evening.
Should have anchored above the next causeway bridge. That's my private anchorage and I don't allow derelicts.

Good to see you again.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote