Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser & osmosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savannah II

Vessel Name
Savannah
Vessel Make
Dart 40 Trawler
Hi, I'm new to this interesting forum.
I'm looking into buying a Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser.
Year of built is 2004.
According to the broker the boat has been built at Yardway Marine in Taiwan.
The boat is out of the water right now and the underwater hull looks solid.
However in talking with two different surveyors and also after doing some research on the internet, it seems that Halvorsen boats are more than average prone to osmosis.
Before continuing the purchase process and hiring the service of a surveyor, I would like to know if anyone on this forum has experience with the above mentioned.
I appreciate the fact that no boat has ever sunk due to osmosis; however I rather not buy a boat that is known to be prone to osmosis.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has experience with the above mentioned.
I had a 32' Gourmet cruiser for 8 years and never had a problem with it, It's a great boat!

The first photo is Harvey Halverson and his wife & the last photo is my wife. We loved that boat but needed more room for guests staying overnight.

Attachments

• Harvey & Nancy Halvorsen 5 copy.jpg
    Harvey & Nancy Halvorsen 5 copy.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 80
  • SeaHorse ii.jpg
    SeaHorse ii.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 76
  • Renee @ the Helm.jpg
    Renee @ the Helm.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 68
The osmosis issue might be associated with another builder with brands or designs of Halvorsen origin.
Osmosis is a proper concern, with the boat already out of the water you could easily have a surveyor check just the hull as a preliminary.
Blisters are more easily seen with the hull wet,knowing that hose it wet and check it again.

i have a 32 its been to bottom and hull is sound as the day was moulded as for known osmosis this family of boat builders are known as the most fussy using the best materials and living in sydney their work is in every bay in every river in most of east coast of australia. that should say it all mate .

We have a '94 IG 32 Europa, and have had not blister problems. Many people I know fix blisters if and when they appear as a normal part of the maintenance program. That way if they do appear, they are not allowed to get very big.

Back
Top Bottom