Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54
Gyro pics

A few people have expressed interest in the Gyro we are having fitted to our boat. Attached are a couple of photos of an indentical unit installed in the boat immediately in the production line before us.** Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 03:34:57 AM
Attached Thumbnails
gyro_installation_on_5232_(2).jpg   gyro_installation_on_5232.jpg  
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gyro pics

Quality construction is apparent, but I'm curious what the inside the "big white box" contains.*... I'm baffled how a relatively small mass can stabilize such a large boat, but expect to be amazed.* ...* How much storage area was sacrificed?* ... Is that a sound-insulation board on the bottom of the hatch?

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 8th of April 2011 04:55:36 AM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54
Gyro pics

Hi Mark,

There is a flywheel weighing*hundreds of*kilograms inside the box which when spinning produces considerable stabilisation*force. See the Seagyro website for more technical details. Ours was*less than $40K*fitted and you can get one for a 30T boat for as little as US$20K without all the hassles you have with active fins. It can be powered by the alternators while under way so negligible impact on fuel consumption.**At anchor the batteries/solar panels*can be supplemented by the generator*when necessary. The space lost is in the work room between the engine room and lazarette and the size of the one we have is about the same as a Northern Lights 9Kw generator.* Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 05:12:27 AM

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 05:16:58 AM
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Grand Vizier

RE: Gyro pics

Very interesting Don, I look forward to hearing how you feel it works. From all accounts a viable option.* I actually spoke with Mitsubishi about their unit in 2003 or so when they were trying to find beta customers.* I couldn't talk them into a big enough discount and was concerned about the power draw that was needed for a unit sized to my boat, but I really like the concept.* Keep us posted.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote