Gulfstar vs. Tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my search for a new boat Gulfstars and Tollycrafts have caught my eye. Online reviews I have read of both are favorable. Any opinions of which has a superior build quality?

Welcome aboard. Both are good quality boats but they are also different style boats. Either would be a good choice if the specific boat is in good condition. I would pick either one that meets your needs as far as layout and amenities.

One is an east coast boat, one a west. Very few folks are going to have depth of knowledge on both.

Tolly had a respectable build quality, the owners are rather fanatics about them. I know nothing about Gulfstar.

We only looked at Tollycrafts via web listings, many of which were impressive, but were always compelled to visit Gulfstars in person for a number of reasons including the use of teak throughout and for walk-in engine rooms. The Gulfstar we finally bought after 2+ years of shopping has been a blessing.

Tollycraft are great boats, we loved ours. Would have bought another if I could have found that pilot house style boat that fit our check list. Solid hull, good electrics, I don't personally care for a lot of the engine choices. American made, with quality in mind. They have aged very nicely - too bad their no longer in business.

I know two people with Tollys and they swear by them. Both have taken them from the US down into the Exumas and back multiple times. I don't know anyone with a Gulfstar.

As stated, Tollys are popular in the PNW. They were built in Kelso WA, so there's a local flavor with them here. Tollys seem to age well and are typically in nice shape. Many make the annual migration to SE AK. I have no knowledge of Gulfstars....very few up here.

Last edited:
All the Tollys I have seen, and that's been dozens (including our old 32' sedan), were planing hulls. All the Gulfstars I have seen, and been on, or know of, are full displacement. Both are well built, honest boats. I have a soft spot in my heart for Tollys, had a lot of fun on ours and those of friends. But we recently supervised the survey of, and subsequently assisted the delivery of, a Gulfstar 44MY and I was very impressed on a number of fronts. Wouldn't hesitate to have one if going slow all the time was OK.

Gulfstar

I owned a 50ft Gulfstar saillboat and it was a good honest boat. Familiar with some of the trawlers in the early 80's Similar hull (perhaps the same) with the center cockpit removed and a Solon added. Gulfstar bit the dust in 1988 but most are still running. In 1986 they contracted to build 25 boats for CSY for charter. Many innovative features

Should have mentioned.....

If you are a YouTuber, you might consider tuning into the C-Shel (Boat name is a play on the owners’ names) channel to watch their fun posts. This Canadian couple has fun with their Tolly, which seems to be serving them well as they live the trawler life.

Back
Top Bottom