Gulf ICW advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smczim

We are purchasing a boat near Galveston, Tx and will be taking it from there to Florida and are looking for any guidance from anyone who has done that route before. I downloader the Waterway South East Coast guide but I was a little disappointed in its content. Someone suggested Skipper Bob but for some reason it will cost $50 to ship it here which is a bit ridiculous but I just may have to order it. Any advice would be welcome.

I've made that run before. It's probably the most boring part of the ICW. (there to Orange Beach) You have to plan your fuel stops and night stops. One night we spent just tied to the side of an abandoned barge. There are a few locks, but many aren't even used all the time (both gates will just be left open), and the lock masters were really nice about letting us jump line in front of the tows of the ones that were in operation. And, there is lots of barge traffic, although they are extreme professionals from what I saw. You don't have to fear them.

Maybe check out AGLCA, Americas Great Loop Cruisers Association, for info. They cover the whole Loop which this is part of.

Done it several times. PM and we can discuss. Doing it again in March.

The Mississippi River crossing is one Id like some advice on. Going east to west.

Smczim: Cannot speak much to the TX and LA sections, but in my experience, from the Pearl River entrance (on the MS / LA border) to Appalachicola Bay, you can choose to run in fairly protected waters that are well charted. At the eastern end of St. George Island, a place informally known as Eastpoint, you'll have to emerge from protected waters into the open Gulf of Mexico. Depending on where you are bound in Florida, you may decide whether to cut straight across the Gulf to your destination or, instead, to more-or-less follow the two-fathom curve around Florida's "Big Bend." Either way, choose your weather and you'll have little trouble.

Whenever the weather permits, I stay inside until Eastpoint, then motor straight for the north end of Anclote Key, just off of Tarpon Springs. There you can re-enter the protected ICW route, if you like. Otherwise, if the Gulf is calm, just keep on running south along the Florida coastline, staying outside until reaching your destination. Most of the passes along the west coat of Florida are well marked, well-charted and easily navigated under normal conditions, no matter the state of the local tides.

I do recommend staying inside from Panama City / St. Andrew's Bay to Appalachicola. The outside stretch, from the St. Andrew's Bay entrance to Cape San Blas, has always seemed kind of miserable, with an annoyingly strong swell right on the beam.

Last edited:
I came east from Morgan City LA to Florida in January a few years ago. The ICW west of New Orleans is mostly industrial or empty long cuts through the bayou. Lots of barge traffic and not much in the way of yachting facilities. Fun going by New Orleans if you can relax on the river. Once east of NO the ICW changes to protected sounds and less commercial teaffic. Not much recreational traffic in January. Lots of places to anchor and a few marinas in MS and AL. I went ICW to Carrabelle, then Chrystal River then Tarpon Springs in a slow boat drawing 3 feet.

What kind of boat is it? Range/cruising speed? Draft? Oh, and congratulations on the purchase!

On the East side of the Mississippi is one lock. There is a marina quite close where you can fuel up and overnight.

On the other side there are two locks, usually you take the downstream lock.

After that it is a very boring run south. Use the waterway guide to find anchorages.

Fog will be a big factor this time of year.

In intracoastal city you can get fuel at Shell Morgan, and tie up for the night with power.

In Houma everyone ties up at City Park, has power, and walks to restaurants. Same in Morgan City bulkhead.

Lake Charles Marina is damaged. Closed but you can tie up but no access to land or power.

No one stops at Decambre, dumbass manager allows people to paint boats in the marina. Few weeks ago they were painting two in 15 winds.

Call Stingaree and you can tie up there with power and eat.

The Mississippi River crossing is one Id like some advice on. Going east to west.

I crossed the Mississippi going west to east a few years ago, against the current. My advice is don’t do it if the river is really ripping after lots of rains. We caught it at a flood stage and it was very stressful dodging trees and other debris in the river. Then we had to wait over an hour to get off the river because of all the barges going through the lock, and it was a pain waiting in all that current. We finally tied off to another barge that was bow in to the bank after he saw us circling around forever.

The barge operators are very professional. Be sure to radio them when you see them coming on AIS. I strongly advise installing AIS if you don’t have it so you can see around bends in the ICW and call them by name.

The ICW from Nola to Galveston was very remote feeling. We only saw barge traffic with very few other boats. Also had to tie up to the side of a barge moored at the edge of the ICW one night because we could not find any place to anchor.

I told myself if I ever had to go from Houston to Mississippi again I would skip that part of the ICW and go outside. But that’s a pretty long run outside.

Smczim.

I have done New Orleans to Mobile and New Orleans to Cape Coral Florida. NOLA to Cape Coral was in Late February-March. Traffic was fairly light though the first three days were pea soup fog. From Carrabelle, we cut across the Gulf to St. Petersburg.

We did what Blissboat suggests and had a very nice cruise.

Rob

We are purchasing a boat near Galveston, Tx and will be taking it from there to Florida and are looking for any guidance from anyone who has done that route before. I downloader the Waterway South East Coast guide but I was a little disappointed in its content. Someone suggested Skipper Bob but for some reason it will cost $50 to ship it here which is a bit ridiculous but I just may have to order it. Any advice would be welcome.

If you are planning on crossing the state through Lake Okeechobee, check the USAC. The St Lucie lock will be closed for repairs starting Jan2 through March 31. 2022.

Just made most of that trip. I found the waterway guide to be very wrong and outdated in many respects. There is also a lot of fluff in it that would not help to plan a trip. I found Skipper Bob's book very helpful when I came down the Atlantic ICW a few years ago.

I crossed the Mississippi going west to east a few years ago, against the current. My advice is don’t do it if the river is really ripping after lots of rains. We caught it at a flood stage and it was very stressful dodging trees and other debris in the river.

I strongly advise installing AIS if you don’t have it so you can see around bends in the ICW and call them by name.

+1 on the AIS recommendation.

Crossing the Mississipi westbound can't you go downstream to Algiers lock? Not sure if that's common for pleasure boats but it is an alternate route to avoid the upstream battle.

It's a Selene 53, we'll be going about 8 knots and the draft is 6 ft. Not ours yet but all is looking good.

It's a Selene 53, we'll be going about 8 knots and the draft is 6 ft. Not ours yet but all is looking good.

If I had that boat I think I would go outside from Galveston to the Mississippi Sound and miss all the ugliness. Weather permitting obviously, but could probably do it in 50 hours or so. About 400 miles.

We recently did about 300 miles from the Tampa Bay inlet to Pensacola. Took us 48 hours and wasn’t terrible, and it was just me and my wife. 3 people would have been better however for more time to sleep.

Last edited:
If I had that boat I think I would go outside from Galveston to the Mississippi Sound and miss all the ugliness. Weather permitting obviously, but could probably do it in 50 hours or so. About 400 miles.

The Selene 53 is a capable passagemaker, particularly in that part of the world where there are close by bailouts and rescue resources. I agree, I would go outside all of the way.

David

Great Advice

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and advice. A lot of good information there that will be very helpful. Sandy

4 on 4 off is for sailors used to the life.

We have found 3 on 6 off is little strain on most folks for a quick passage.

I am based Galveston Bay and know of two Selenes that left here for Florida in the past couple of years. One went direct to Florida through the GoM. The other went down the ICW to the Mississippi River and then went the rest of the way via the GoM. The Selene is a heavy boat with automatic stabilizers and large enough fuel capacity. I would find a good weather window and run it outside the whole way.

It is not Eastpoint, Eastpoint is a town on the north side of Apalachicola Bay. You are referring to East Pass.

Texas to FL

Be advised that the route across Lake Okeechobee to the Florida east coast will be closed from 1/4 - 4/4 for lock repair.

+1 for Skipper Bobs and AIS. We did the trip recently from the keys to Galveston. Plenty of places to spend the night. PM me if you have any questions.

If you are new to the boat, even if you are fairly well experienced, I would hesitate to go outside for the initial part of the voyage. Seems to me that baby steps in the GIWW will be easier on the nerves re: reliability and just getting used to her. Once you hit Mobile, you might change your mind and go outside. You could even just try it out for a daylight run along the coast to Destin and maybe thence direct to Tarpon Springs area. I have an Excel spreadsheet here some place I made up for my second run from Galveston to Orange Beach, AL in 2010. It lists all the loocks and docks and possible anchorages for a Grand Banks 42. PM me and I'll send it along if you think it heloful.

It is not Eastpoint, Eastpoint is a town on the north side of Apalachicola Bay. You are referring to East Pass.

Right you are - thanks for correcting my error, Gypsyjon:

Since you are in the neighborhood, maybe you can let us know whether Government Cut is navigable these days. It used to be the preferred straight shot in or out of Appalachicola to the Gulf, but it's been some years since I have been that way. Recall hearing that it's shoaled up and not getting any attention from the Corps. If so, former U.S. Congressman Bob Sikes must be stirring restlessly in his grave, as it was one of his pet projects.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom