Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Guests at Trawler Speed

In the past we have had twin engine boats that cruise at some speed above our last two boats, which have been 34' single engine trawlers. 8 MPH is our speed these days and we are very happy with it. However, most friends that have gone out with us become disenchanted quickly at our speed. We have tried telling them to relax and just enjoy being out there. This has not worked well. We are now at the point that we only invite other "trawler people". Is this the normal situation?
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Sounds like a perfect situation to me. The fewer the guests the better. ;-)

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Absolutely P E R F E C T
Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. bike. Sounds like your impatient "friends" are part of what I like to call the "fast crowd". Take note: Behavior such as below leads to no good. Next thing you know you've got orthopedic shoes and a two bottle a day Maalox habit.

They just want to party all the time and can't appreciate the more genteel aspects of boating.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Invite sailors--they think they are flying!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
That's interesting. We've never had anyone comment about our "cocktail speed". I'm usually between 5kts-7kts and the only comments I hear are about how relaxing it is.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Serve alcohol before leaving. Then they will tell you to slow down. I've had a couple of disenchanted friends that were smart enough not to say anything. It's like going to dinner, if you don't ask what's being served, not my problem if you're not happy.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
You invite other people to go on your boat? Really? To me the idea is getting away from people.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
LOL! Those "disenchanted" friends don't have to go next time!

I used to own a 24ft. Sea Ray that was super fast, even my kids who are adults grew tired of warp speed. They wanted more comfort and comfort they got! The pleasure is not how fast you can get there, it's the pleasure of getting there. If you want fast, take a plane!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
You have a problem that is self-solving.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville Florida
Vessel Name: Lucy
Vessel Model: 2003 Rosborough RF246
When I have guests my priority is to show them a good time. I customize the trip to enhance their pleasure. I don't have guest very often, but when I do, I want them to enjoy the experience. I have a good time when they have a good time. It is an honor to have friends aboard.
JimTid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
In the past we have had twin engine boats that cruise at some speed above our last two boats, which have been 34' single engine trawlers. 8 MPH is our speed these days and we are very happy with it. However, most friends that have gone out with us become disenchanted quickly at our speed. We have tried telling them to relax and just enjoy being out there. This has not worked well. We are now at the point that we only invite other "trawler people". Is this the normal situation?
Wifey B: As a guest I'd never let you know it was anything but perfect and, although l absolutely don't like going slow, I'd find a way to make it fun. Honestly, I don't think so much of friends who made their disenchantment into an issue and made it less enjoyable for you. We've never had an ungracious guest.

We take lots of friends and while we don't go 6-8 knots, we do some long crossings that would bore many people, like 50 hours or so in a row on the water. We tell our friends the plans and different ones choose to join us for different things, different type scenery. Most are using vacation time so want to match up to what they enjoy most.

I don't know the nature of your friends. Maybe they have limited time to be out and feel like it's wasting away while going slow. Whatever it is, the solution for them is simple, don't come again, and for you is simple, don't invite them again. There are plenty of friends, family and acquaintances who will love being your guests aboard.

As to the talk of getting away from people, not my idea of how I like things. We go alone sometimes, but I love having fun with our friends. We also discuss stops along the way and things we want to see and sometimes we'll go separately and other times together. Some times we'll also see things not top on our list with them and they'll see things that might not excite them with us. You know what, though? We all will enjoy it and often what one wasn't excited about turns out to be great.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We have to chuckle at boats zooming past us while we wait for feeding Humpback Whales to surface. The whales usually stay down for five minutes, so a lot of boats never notice them at all. Seven knots or so is a perfect speed for noticing details
Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTid View Post
When I have guests my priority is to show them a good time. I customize the trip to enhance their pleasure. I don't have guest very often, but when I do, I want them to enjoy the experience. I have a good time when they have a good time. It is an honor to have friends aboard.
Wifey B: We do too, but the trip itself is what it is. If they don't want to go to Bimini, then wait till another trip. I just can't imagine guests being rude like that.

If you let it be, a lot of it can be boring, but I just never find being on the water boring. Even when 50-100 nm from any land and it's just the sky and sea, you look for uniqueness and you find things to do. You show those interested how all the instruments work. You cook something that takes a long time preparation. You turn the music up and enjoy. You sing.

You talk about what you're going to do. It's a shared experience.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I have had that experience with people who haven't been "cruising". They don't seem to appreciate that the cruising is part of the experience.
Happens more with younger people imo...
where are the bears...
OK, we've seen bears...now more whales.
Ok..we've seen whales..not Orcas though..where are they.
So, we've been fishing for a while and haven't caught a lot.
Why can't we see the whales feeding..we've seen them swim by a lot.
So, now we're anchored..what do we do now..just sit here and look around?

People who have cruised a little understand the pace.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
this is such a first world problem
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Launch the dinghy, give them 5 gals of gas and tell them where to be at 5:00 for drinks.
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
On the serious side, we donate a 7 day trip in SE Alaska to the Alaska Chamber of Commerce each year that is auctioned in the fall meeting. Since my wife has been a member for as long as I can remember (I not as long), we have always known the people who bought the trip and have had a wonderful time. I think a lot has to do with the location. Last summer we had the chamber president and his son along for a week of visiting the local chambers in southeast and that worked out well even though they are fast boaters out of Seward.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #19

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
. . .who the hell complains about a free boat ride?! The only complaints I got about my sailboat was that the invitations became few and far between once I moved aboard
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Do you have your trawler on Lake Maumelle ? We used to sail our 16ft Capri on that lake in the early 90's .
Most everybody's boat at our dock is faster than ours. We usually just anchor out first and all of our fast friends ( mostly family ) tie up to us when they want to relax in the shade of the hardtop , eat , have a drink ,or take a pee break . Occasionally one will stay onboard with us and take the slow road home . It's a nice break for them if they've been on fast boat or jet skis half the day .