Old 05-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Grill propane tanks storage.

We have a Weber Q on our boat, which I like, but I hate the little 1 pound gas bottles. They are expensive, not environmentally sound and rust like crazy. So I am considering upgrading to a refillable 5 lb bottle.

The only propane on our boat is the grill. I know a little about marine propane systems, the dedicated storage locker needs to be vented, they need a solenoid etc. But does that apply to a portable tanks as well? I'd like to keep it in my summer kitchen (which is vented) and take it out when I use it. I would not keep it attached to the grill.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

I have a rail mounted Magma propane grill and galley stove/oven. My galley stove is plumbed from the exterior propane locker with a solenoid. For the Magma grill I purchased a 6’ flexible line that attaches to a standard propane tank with an adapter that fits the grill which is the same thread pattern as the 1 lb bottles. The set up works really well for me.

A few things to consider.

* Propane is heavier than air so where you store your propane is critical. My locker is outside and on the swim platform.

* the propane line are hard to find over 6’ in length so consider that when selecting a location for you grill and propane locker. Ideally you will not want to move your tank to use the grill. When you disconnect the hose from the tank it will vent propane so be mindful of where that will go. If you will disconnect the hose, wear gloves because the propane will freeze your hands and it is painful. Or turn off the tank, turn on the grill burners to release the pressure in the hose and then disconnect the hose. I keep mine connected to prevent the venting and just close the valve on the tank.

* You will need a place to refill your tank. I only have experience on land filling it and some places that are only used to 20lb BBQ tanks will be confused. Empty, they hold 1.2 gallons of propane. Shouldn’t be an issue but thought I’d mention it so you aren’t surprised.

Franco
AlpinaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaRanger View Post
I have a rail mounted Magma propane grill and galley stove/oven. My galley stove is plumbed from the exterior propane locker with a solenoid. For the Magma grill I purchased a 6’ flexible line that attaches to a standard propane tank with an adapter that fits the grill which is the same thread pattern as the 1 lb bottles. The set up works really well for me.

A few things to consider.

* Propane is heavier than air so where you store your propane is critical. My locker is outside and on the swim platform.

* the propane line are hard to find over 6’ in length so consider that when selecting a location for you grill and propane locker. Ideally you will not want to move your tank to use the grill. When you disconnect the hose from the tank it will vent propane so be mindful of where that will go. If you will disconnect the hose, wear gloves because the propane will freeze your hands and it is painful. Or turn off the tank, turn on the grill burners to release the pressure in the hose and then disconnect the hose. I keep mine connected to prevent the venting and just close the valve on the tank.

* You will need a place to refill your tank. I only have experience on land filling it and some places that are only used to 20lb BBQ tanks will be confused. Empty, they hold 1.2 gallons of propane. Shouldn’t be an issue but thought I’d mention it so you aren’t surprised.

Franco

I'd rather not build/use a dedicated propane locker for this purpose. My galley is all electric, this tank would be solely for the grill. No problem to take it out when grilling then put it away when done, it would only weigh 8 or 10 lbs full.

I would close the tank valve then disconnect it from the grill after each use so it would not be an "open" system when it was stored away. Pretty different setup than a propane galley with all of its associated hoses etc. but I want to make sure it is safe.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: West Coast
I used to refill those little bottles, and don't recall ever having had a rust problem with them. But, for safety, they need to be stored in a place where propane accumulation won't be a problem if they leak. I kept one in a plastic bag (so it wouldn't get all greasy and dirty) inside my grill, mounted on the rail.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Please do not store the propane tank inside inside the boat or in a confined non-vented space.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Puget Sound
I'm sure some will find fault with my method. Like the op I have a Weber Q with an adapter to run off a larger propane tank. I Cut a four inch round hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket The 2 gallon propane tank fits securely in the bucket and the bucket sits on top of a deck drain in the cockpit that exits just above the water line on the aft port side of the boat. The hose is coiled and stored on top of the tank when not in use. When we want to use the grill just uncoil the hose and connect it to the Weber that is mount on a rail in the cockpit.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Ask a surveyor if these storage methods meet the standards, or ask your insurance company. I would hate to have my boat blow up and someone get injured because I stored propane improperly. You can’t go back after it blows up and then store it properly...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
I'm sure some will find fault with my method. Like the op I have a Weber Q with an adapter to run off a larger propane tank. I Cut a four inch round hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket The 2 gallon propane tank fits securely in the bucket and the bucket sits on top of a deck drain in the cockpit that exits just above the water line on the aft port side of the boat. The hose is coiled and stored on top of the tank when not in use. When we want to use the grill just uncoil the hose and connect it to the Weber that is mount on a rail in the cockpit.
I think this is reasonable. I can’t tell you that it meets ABYC standards. If you filled the cockpit up with 2 inches of water could the water find its way into the boat? If it couldn’t then I would say you met the definition of exterior of the boat and that would make you ABYC compliant.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I see no reason for a solenoid. You’ll be manually turning the tank off and disconnecting the hose after each use.

I would not store it below deck. Find a place for a small locker on deck. Make sure the locker is vented.

Trident Marine sells an interesting six pound aluminum tank. It is tall and skinny. I was thinking a piece of 8” pvc pipe fastened to a stantion might make a nice locker for it.
https://tridentmarine.com/product/tr.../#.YKxtvy33af1
Old 05-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #10
Guru

One of the seats on my flybridge had a cooler built into it with an overboard drain. That's where I stored the 1 pound bottles. I considered that safe.
Sounds like under your summer kitchen would be similar.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We have a gas Magma on the back rail of our sundeck trawler. I store the green 1-lb cans in a 4" pvc pipe (about rail height 3'). They fit perfectly inside.
Glued a cap on the bottom and drilled several 1/4" drain holes in the bottom. Have a screw cap on top. It's attached to the rail (vertically), and if there is a leak, it will drain over the side, away from opening port holes. Saw this setup on a sailboat a few yrs ago. No rust or other problems so far. Holds four cans.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I just read the ABYC section on LPG. It might be an older version but think the basics remain the same.

Based on your boats picture.....I would either buy a tank and mount or just the mount if your selection of tank will fit from a place that sells rail mounted holders and mount it to the aft flybridge rail in the open air (if disconnected usually). You see these rail mounted tanks on sailboats all over the place.

If not, any box, that won't rust with, gasket, and 1/2 inch hole at the bottom leading off the back or side (aft) of your flybridge deck I believe meets the requirements too.

Neither is really what ABYC wants, but unless the propane storage is in new construction, the requirements for older boats would be ridiculous to meet, and I have had 2 insurance companies and an insurance surveyor OK my storage that would be similar to what I described ( yours would be even better). A cooler with enlarged drain would be perfect if your bottle fit and the coolers wasn't too big. Me, I would just hang it on the rail with a cover over it labeled "PROPANE".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #13
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If not, any box, that won't rust with, gasket, and 1/2 inch hole at the bottom leading off the back or side (aft) of your flybridge deck I believe meets the requirements too.
Sounds to me like inside a rail mounted grill is just as safe. What am I missing?
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #14

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I used to refill those little bottles, and don't recall ever having had a rust problem with them. But, for safety, they need to be stored in a place where propane accumulation won't be a problem if they leak. I kept one in a plastic bag (so it wouldn't get all greasy and dirty) inside my grill, mounted on the rail.
I used to do the same. Mine did rust in the warm moist Caribbean but then I didn't keep them in a plastic bag - good idea.

When I needed a semi-permanent solution (once propane no longer available in Europe) I found an igloo was the perfect "storage locker" it sealed at the top, I used the igloo drain fitting to route the supply hose and tapped a hole on the opposite side at the bottom to drain propane over the side. Later added a cushion on top and it looked like a custom seat.

http://www.alanjoanhere.com/images/2...lation%205.JPG
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Sounds to me like inside a rail mounted grill is just as safe. What am I missing?
Nothing other than the farther outboard it is ....the "perceived" safety, compliance, attempt to satisfy..........whatever ....

May be good enough...only because of the word " through the hull, overboard seems to prevail in the writing.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Doug,
What worked for me, was a 10 lb. aluminum tank tied to my swim step mounted dinghy lift (Seawise) with the tank in a plastic "milk box" (those square totally open and vented plastic boxes). I closed the valve after every use and left the hose connected to the BBQ (Magma) that was rail mounted close by. If the tank, pressure relief valve, hoses, etc. ever developed a leak, it would just flow overboard at the stern of the vessel. Being a bit cautious, I also regularly checked for leaks using a hand held propane sniffer. You could just spray the setup with soapy water and look for leaks that way as well as your own nose.

For many reasons, including your description of how those DISPOSABLE 1lb bottles rust, refilling the ONE USE bottles is against all safety regulations. Not being an insurance expert, but I would worry that should something happen with a "refilled" bottle, a person's coverage may not be in place, to say nothing about the personal danger. I know, people here "do it all the time" and have "never had a problem". It only takes once though.
Never store propane bottles of any kind in the boat or in a locker that does not have a bottom vent where any propane can easily find it's way overboard (and not into the boat).
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #17

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Quack Shack
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
Nice solution,

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
When I needed a semi-permanent solution (once propane no longer available in Europe) I found an igloo was the perfect "storage locker" it sealed at the top, I used the igloo drain fitting to route the supply hose and tapped a hole on the opposite side at the bottom to drain propane over the side. Later added a cushion on top and it looked like a custom seat.
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #18

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Quack Shack
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
Here's a bracket that can be bolted to your transom/swim platform. Its's available for 5, 10 and 20 lb. tanks. They're designed for steel tanks so rusting is a maintenance issue.

https://stainfastmarine.com/shop/unc...k-line-holder/

Name:  Bolton BPH.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  4.0 KB

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #19
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
When I needed a semi-permanent solution (once propane no longer available in Europe)]
Please explain?
Old 05-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #20

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
The green 1lb canisters are a concern, not only for environmental reasons. They are known/prone to leak after being unscrewed from the grill. So if u must use 1, leave it connected until exhausted if possible. Do not unscrew and store in anything other than an overboard-vented locker.

Another alternative to steel portable tanks are the F/G tanks, leave no marks on the deck. Like others, I store mine over large cockpit drain. 1 tank serves my Magna grill for daily use for months. RV ‘s use them frequently.