Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #21
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I might ask their true qualifications.

Have a friend that was asked to speak at a AGLCA gathering about what boats are good for the loop maybe because he built his own boat...he laughed telling the story because he had yet to do the loop.

Interesting guy...I need to look him up now that he has probably completed the loop....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
+1
I think it is a legitimate question. Why bother with the inland rivers?

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post

I think it is a legitimate question. Why bother with the inland rivers?
For me it's the inland rivers that are the attraction. As much as possible I avoid large open stretches of water. Been there, done that, and have found I get far more boating pleasure travelling on inland rivers than on open waters. On the east coast I would never choose to go outside where the AICW provides an inside alternative. In fact it's why I own a power boat as my 'big' boat. If I wanted to travel offshore I'd have a sailing vessel.

I'm heading south from Lake Michigan this fall and have been considering going down the Mississippi all the way to the Gulf then north in the spring from Mobile to continue river cruising next summer. Yes, it will be a few hundred miles in a ditch with mostly commercial traffic for company, but I find that endlessly fascinating and look forward to doing it at least once.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #24

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
To the OP's question, I would second the vote above to ask questions about favorite side trips people take when doing the loop. To me, that is a big part of the attraction.
I've been interested in doing some variation of "the loop" for many years now. I hope we do not get caught up in the time table of just completing it to complete it and rush through it. I think I could stretch it out for years. Someone above suggested the inland rivers would be boring to them. For me, I could imagine spending an entire summer exploring the lakes formed by the Tennessee River alone. A side trip on the Cumberland to Nashville seems interesting to me. As B and B pointed out, you just barely touch the Ohio on the traditional loop, but I would like to take time and see more of it, too. One could go all the way to Pittsburgh if so inclined. An entire summer on Chesapeake Bay when coming up the east coast would barely scratch the surface of that massive bay with so much to offer. When down south, maybe spend more time in FL than a typical looper. A side trip to the Bahamas could easily take an entire winter. This could take years! Now we just have to figure out a way ($$$$) to spend that much time on a boat and working less --- Oh, and we still have to find the boat (but we may be getting close on that part).

The side trips seem to be the key to me.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Because we don't want to get stuck where it's cold and we don't want to have the boat hauled and left, we've planned on multiple loops picking up different things each time. Also, note that from Pickwick you can conveniently hit the TN River, the Cumberland, and the Ohio.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Trenton
I only did the little loop (erie, rideau and chambly) but the loopers we met along the way all said that was the most scenic, interesting and satisfying part of the trip. After several loops one couple left their boat up there and only did that part several more summers.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #27

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Since we are interested in doing the loop over multiple years and leaving the boat in storage in the north over winters, we would be interested in marinas that offer heated winter storage for loopers in places like western New York, Georgian Bay, northern Michigan/Wisconsin and even south of St Louis.

I saw a billboard ad for heated storage at Alexandria Bay, NY when in Oswego a couple weeks ago, with reasonable, low costs - compared to where I am. Maybe Horizon Marine.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #28
Guru

Wifey B: One thing I'd suggest the experts could provide is "resources." Web sites, books, all those things they used or read to prepare and to make the loop.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #29

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
Id like to ask veterans about their maintenance needs, what tools and parts they brought, what they needed but did not have, how much downtime they faced, and what could they fix themselves vs what they needed help with. Im utterly mechanically disinclined, so it remains an area of concern for me.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #30
Guru

Supposedly one of the high number Loopers...something like 20 or more loops has never had a major event/breakdown.

I would like to know what maintenance has been done through the years or because it has been done on multiple vessels, the age/time on equipment before shoving off.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Id like to ask veterans about their maintenance needs, what tools and parts they brought, what they needed but did not have, how much downtime they faced, and what could they fix themselves vs what they needed help with. Im utterly mechanically disinclined, so it remains an area of concern for me.
While I don't think service on conventional boats and engines is much of an issue on the loop, one related question I'd ask is haul out facilities and sizes each can handle. We had someone on the forum recently who thought he might need to be hauled out and didn't know how far he'd need to be towed.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #32

City: Boynton Beach, FL
Great feedback everyone, thank you!
In case you are interested here is the link to the webinar signup: https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...05303673798913
Hope to see you there!
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #33
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Supposedly one of the high number Loopers...something like 20 or more loops has never had a major event/breakdown.

I would like to know what maintenance has been done through the years or because it has been done on multiple vessels, the age/time on equipment before shoving off.
See the recent thread on the Last Manatee. Interesting comments on the boat that's done 29 loops.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #34

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
The Wife wants to go

With the storage space limited on all boats, my lovely wife would like to ask what people brought with them on the trip but found it was never needed and what they didn't bring and wish they had.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
See the recent thread on the Last Manbatee. Interesting comments on the boat that's done 29 loops.
Not the guy I am thinking of....

If the Manatee wore out 3 engines in 24 loops, I just cant believe tbat after 20 loops, one hasnt had a major failure someplace that didn't cause a delay or a
significant repair to SOME system, even if not the engine.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Regarding maintenance on the loop:
I didn't have to do any engine repairs, but did replace a shower sump pump and had never ending problems with my dinghy outboard. For those doing their own maintenance, here are a few observations:

Oil changes: Bring your filters, you can source oil along the way. Disposing of used oil at marinas is a big problem for some reason. Walmart will happily take it, no questions asked.

Having parts and mail shipped ahead to marinas can sometimes be a problem. Some municipal marinas don't receive mail or packages (goes to a municipal building somewhere in town). Good luck getting it on a weekend. I had very good luck with the US postal service. If mailing, send it "General Delivery ", and they will hold it at the post office for you to pick up.

Your Name
GENERAL DELIVERY
Any Town, ST 00000

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #37
Guru

City: Trenton
When I was putting together my spares for the trip I thought a spare alternator would be good to have so I called my parts supplier and asked him about it. He laughed and said since I wasn't going to deepest, darkest Africa he could FedEx me anything I needed within 24 hours. It still has that alternator.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #38
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If the Manatee wore out 3 engines in 24 loops, I just cant believe tbat after 20 loops, one hasnt had a major failure someplace that didn't cause a delay or a significant repair to SOME system, even if not the engine.

Each loop is about 1000 hours on the engine(s) at trawler speeds. Certainly he must have worn out his engine(s) and/or major overhauled them outside the looping.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #39
Guru

Can't be sure of the 1000 hrs per loop as not everyone does them the same...but if he bought a high time engine boat, put 3000 on it....then replaced/rebuilt with 6000 to 8000 before starting out again each cycle....not really all that hard to believe.

My hard to believe understanding is just doing somd random PM before leaving with less than a relatively new boat and not having some kind of issues in 20 or more trips.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #40
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
... Disposing of used oil at marinas is a big problem for some reason. Walmart will happily take it, no questions asked. ...
Most auto parts stores will take it too. Some places they are legally required to accept used oil.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote