The Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure you can do it in one year... but sure you will miss some stuff. Ever thought of doing it 2, 3, or more times... Focus on a different part or different side trip each year... keeps you in more livable climate year round and solves the problem of taking your time and doing winter storage 2 or 3 seasons in the north. For what it would cost for indoor heated you could buy alot of fuel :)

When we were searching for our retirement boat we had the Great Loop in mind. Sonas has a folding radar arch which allows us to get under that bridge in Chicago.

However we have resisted planning it due to one main reason. We feel that it will require at least two years to do it properly. So starting off from Florida in the spring that means we will be in the northern climes come late fall/winter and will have to have the boat hauled or otherwise secured for the winter in a slip with bubbler etc. This would mean that we would not have Sonas here in Florida for the best part of tbe boating season - say October through March/April.

So we haven't progressed plans.

With the COVID shutdown, especially impacting travel abroad, we are considering it again. A question for those from the south that have completed it. Did you complete it in a year so had your boat available all year, or did you leave it up north for the winter?
We did the whole loop quite easily in one year, plus remember we had to travel 800 extra miles (400 down TN river to start at Tenn-Tom and then 400 back up TN river to home). You can look at literally our whole time frame on our old website which is still up at Tellico Lady's Cruising Website and see where we were when and how long it took to do so.

We did the whole loop quite easily in one year, plus remember we had to travel 800 extra miles (400 down TN river to start at Tenn-Tom and then 400 back up TN river to home). You can look at literally our whole time frame on our old website which is still up at Tellico Lady's Cruising Website and see where we were when and how long it took to do so.

I have seen your site before... do you still have the boat? The name is familiar, wondering if i saw it when I was boat shopping a couple years back...

Yes, still have the boat. Have not been down to Kentucky Lake area for a few years. Just went as far as Florence AL last year. Keep the boat at Tellico Harbor Marina on Tellico Lake at mile 18.

We did 3 almost 4 loops all routes, fingers lakes, North Channel (et al) etc. however we were full time on board with the boat as our home. So were chased only by the seasons. There is too much to do and see in multiple life times of cruising. We also did the entire Mississippi Minneapolis to NOLA, all the Ohio River, Monongahela, Great Kanawha River thru Charleston WV , The Allegheny (that was open) The Tennessee through Knoxville to the Holstein/French Broad Rivers, Cumberland River to Nashville(floods stopped us there)Florida, St Johns, East Coast, Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay, New England, Maine ... gad so much to see and no regrets except I'm not still cruising and seeing more. All the time stretching the seasons as much as possible. I highly recommend a 12 volt diesel heating source(ITR, Webesto etc) other then just your reverse AC heat pump. That will make your life so much easier and comfortable during the shoulder seasons. Remember patience is a critical safety factor to cruise. Wait for good weather it will come eventually even in the Great Lakes into October. In the meantime, target waiting place where rental cars are available to take advantage of the weather wait down time to explore outside the immediate area. So many discovery nuggets to enjoy. Do all you can, as you can, when you can, Life is fragile and uncertain going by much too quickly.
Stay Safe and Healthy!

Last edited:
We did 3 almost 4 loops all routes, fingers lakes, North Channel (et al) etc. however we were full time on board with the boat as our home. So were chased only by the seasons. There is too much to do and see in multiple life times of cruising. We also did the entire Mississippi Minneapolis to NOLA, all the Ohio River, Monongahela, Great Kanawha River thru Charleston WV , The Allegheny (that was open) The Tennessee through Knoxville to the Holstein/French Broad Rivers, Cumberland River to Nashville(floods stopped us there)Florida, St Johns, East Coast, Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay, New England, Maine ... gad so much to see and no regrets except I'm not still cruising and seeing more. All the time stretching the seasons as much as possible. I highly recommend a 12 volt diesel heating source(ITR, Webesto etc) other then just your reverse AC heat pump. That will make your life so much easier and comfortable during the shoulder seasons. Remember patience is a critical safety factor to cruise. Wait for good weather it will come eventually even in the Great Lakes into October. In the meantime, target waiting place where rental cars are available to take advantage of the weather wait down time to explore outside the immediate area. So many discovery nuggets to enjoy. Do all you can, as you can, when you can, Life is fragile and uncertain going by much too quickly.
Stay Safe and Healthy!

No Arkansas and Missouri rivers?

You did much as we intend to. So many things to see.

No Arkansas and Missouri rivers?

You did much as we intend to. So many things to see.

No the Missouri or Arkansas river all sources highly recommended against the Missouri unless you are a smaller boat that can get over the sand bars etc. The Missouri is not maintained nor controlled and navigation ends in Nebr. We would still like to do the Arkansas as well as others but ran out of time due to family issues.
Perhaps in the future with our new to us boat a Rossi 246.

Pretty impressive list of cruising, Joe Pica!

Not compared to several others I'm just a tourist at heart.

What part of Florida are you located, and why so firm on spring to leave? Oh, what kind of boat?

Back
Top Bottom