nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibeaver View Post
Attachment 29833 never a bad day

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
What area is that photo? We just got home today from 15 delightful days in the PNW and returning on the 31st. June, July and September are planned for Alaska, Vancouver and Victoria, Washington, and to Portland. We aren't use to the temperatures but otherwise great time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #3

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
This was everett Washington. We will be heading to SE Alaska too this summer. July 2nd from everett,

nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibeaver View Post
This was everett Washington. We will be heading to SE Alaska too this summer. July 2nd from everett,

We haven't made the turn by Everett yet, but in July will hit Friday Harbor, Whidbey, Anacortes, and Bellingham before heading to Alaska. Working our way as far north as Valdez and west to Seward and Kodiak. Many stops along the way we very much look forward to. 11 Ports/Towns we intend to visit in Alaska. Pass by others and perhaps stop briefly.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
If any of you cruisers run into a bit of need for haul out allow me to recommend using Wrangell Alaska's facility. Great service, very accommodating harbor crew. There are several qualified glass repair services, shaft work, and wonderful community to be served by. Incidentally there is a 9 hole golf course to while away you waiting time.
you just might want to add the following phone # to your travel list: (907) 874-3736 (907) 874-3051 The harbor secretary is "Bobbie".
If you are a wood boat of size the above facility will accommodate your wood work requirement with at least two wood craft facilities. As well the Wrangell Boat Shop can handle up to 60 feet on their cradle ways in the main building and up to 40 feet in the smaller ways. again you have access to good wood butchers!
Wrangell is blessed with Swenson Marine, builders of aluminum boats of West Coast renown and can provide boat side repairs on aluminum.
I have no interest in any of these services. Just marvel at the ability of the various craftsmen in their efforts to address visiting boaters with emergency situations.
Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Sorry, want to add that the travel lift capacity is 150 tons on the smaller unit and 300 tons on the larger unit. The phone # for Wrangell Boat Shop is (907) 874 4669. Terry is the contact there.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We haven't made the turn by Everett yet, but in July will hit Friday Harbor, Whidbey, Anacortes, and Bellingham before heading to Alaska. Working our way as far north as Valdez and west to Seward and Kodiak. Many stops along the way we very much look forward to. 11 Ports/Towns we intend to visit in Alaska. Pass by others and perhaps stop briefly.
The weather starts to turn very wet that late in the summer. I trust you will have some "non trawler" boat speed available to move through the windows?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
When you get near Seward, please give me a shout, or stop by.

You'll be very close....

Transients moor on the side tie dock, and my slip is on that same dock. You could be as little as 10' away.

Slip F-33 White Bayliner 4788.
Here's a live photo from the bridge camera

BTW the Gulf of Alaska gets pretty snotty come September. Weather windows will be short. thats when a faster boat comes in very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Guru

Our Alaska portion will all be in June and July. September will be Washington and Columbia River to Portland.

As to speed and windows, will be in 85' boat with cruising speed of 22 knots with 540 nm range, 15 knots with 842 nm range. 1661 nm at 10 knots, 2340 nm at 8 knots. Runs we'll have to be most window conscious will be Haines to Valdez at around 550 nm, then return trip with Kodiak to Sitka at around 640 nm and Sitka to Port Angeles at around 760 nm. Three two day trips there. The definite advantage Alaska brings 17-18 hours sunrise to sunset and 19-20 hours dawn to dusk. So nights are short and nighttime running reduced.

Do hope to see you Kevin as well as some others along the way.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
If you're in Seattle, touch base!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
BandB, if you're coming up the Columbia to Portland you owe it to yourselves to at least go through the lock at Bonneville Dam. For people from the flat land (FL included in that), going through a lock on our rivers is quite an experience.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
BandB, if you're coming up the Columbia to Portland you owe it to yourselves to at least go through the lock at Bonneville Dam. For people from the flat land (FL included in that), going through a lock on our rivers is quite an experience.
Yes, I always did laugh just reading about those locking through places like Lake Okeechobee in Florida. 20' x 250'. Lifts of 14.5', 1', 1.5', 8', 2.5'. I always compared to the Tennessee River. Wilson lock on the Tennessee has a normal lift of between 93' and 100'. I see Bonneville is in the 60' to 70' range much of the time. Yes, a lot of difference on river locks versus canals, etc. I'm always amazed reading about the Erie canal and how many locks it takes to raise or lower you such a little amount. Some are 33' lifts or so but then many are just 8' or 11'.