Gravity Day-tank - minimum height?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Cracking the throttle open a bit allows more air flow too, so maybe check the air filter? Just a couple of thoughts."

There is no throttle plate to open on a diesel engine.

The air is wide open and the power / RPM is set by the throttle lever allowing more or less fuel injection.

"But isnt every primary filter on diesels positioned post pump?"

Usually , that is why caution must be exercised with the use of an emulsifier additive.

A set of secondary filters Fram , Raycor, whatever does a better job when fuel is sucked thru them before feeding the engine.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Ski: I'll check the air when I dock in Port Townsend shortly....good call. I have a loop on the return hoses, so that should not be the cause. The engines are Iveco 150, mechanical lift pump.

Sunchaser: not sure which one, but I've got sealant on all joints. In the end, I used 10mic filters on the Racors between the day tank and engine. If I don't find air in there, I'll switch to 30mic. Good idea.

Cafesport: I've got a vacuum gauge, aim to fit it today. Thanks for that!

I'll report back

Cheers, Eamonn.

This is why less is more.

You're engine was happy.
But you weren't.
Now, your happy.
And your engine?

Well, we took a few things apart, and found a badly-fitted pickup tube in the day tank. Looks like non-diesel tubing, and it had expanded with the heat. That explained the port engine issue. We also found Some grit under the lid on the starboard final Racor (that one was my fault)
I got some great help from Shawn, engineer on a big tug in Neah Bay - put us in good shape for the start of our trip down the west coast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom