Grands Banks 43 EU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Chaparral 330
As retirement is just around the corner for us, we are strongly considering a trawler for next season. This vessel would be to replace our current 35' cruiser we have on Chicago's Lake Michigan. We look forward to further exploring Lake Michigan, down the Illinois River and beyond at a more leisure pace. Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Grand Banks, specifically the 43' EU. This trawler seems to check many of the boxes on our wish list. Have read good things about GB, but most of these published articles only say good things about all boats. We are looking for a quality used boat in ready to use condition, not a fixer upper. We especially like the pod drives, the fly bridge, helm door is key to me getting around for dock-lines, 2 engines, ability to get up and go if you need to, safe and great quality - appreciate your response

Do some in-depth research on the pod drives before you buy one. They seem to be a fairly maintenance intensive unit.

Grand Banks are well built quality yachts, you really can't go too far wrong. Personally pod drive would be a negative for me, I prefer the reliability of conventional shafts. We considered the 42 Europa strongly. While the Europa design is great during the day it has one downside (for us) and that is that the cabins are all stuffed up in the bow. If you have guests that puts you and your guests separated just by thin plywood bulkheads. If you seldom have guests then it isn't a problem.

Another important (to us) consideration was not having to sleep in the bow. Hard chined boats such as a Grand Banks are known for hull slap. The slapping of the small waves on the hull. Having an aft cabin to sleep in was a key consideration for us purchasing a GB Classic.

Back
Top Bottom